“Relax, no worries just get comfortable.”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This hotel is newly updated. Hip, sophisticated, comfy and a fine location for walking the city. My friends and family were here for 2 nights, breakfast included. From the reception to the bar staff everyone was personable and helpful. I had relatives who lived in the area and they met us there in the lounge area. We were all accommodated without hesitation. The food was tasty with choices for all in the group. Wi fi was free and that amenity alone was a plus.

Room Tip: The view over the canal was good. The hotel is not in the center of town , so noise levels are not a...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Dear Rabbit2011,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read your review and have shared all your feedback with my staff and management.

There are newer reviews for The River Lee

Reviewed 2 August 2011

This is a great hotel in a great city. Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the centre of the city and a 5 minute walk from the University. Fabulous swimming pool and spa area. Try the lovely big breakfast - fills you up for the day. Modern decor - room with all the usual amenties you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Large bathroom with bath and separate shower. The staff are wonderful - friendly and helpful, obviously love their jobs. Restaurant and bar area very nice - overlooking the river. Parking in the underground car park is free. We really enjoyed our stay - were made to feel very much at home by everyone we came into contact with. There are some lovely restaurants and bars nearby - try the Liberty Grill (make a reservation!) and Cafe Gusto (opens late Thu/Fri/Sat and is BYO) for food both are on Washington Street.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Travmur,

Reviewed 1 August 2011

My family stayed here last week while traveling through Cork. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to downtown sites. There is free under gound parking with elevators up to the rooms. The rooms are large, clean and modern. The bathroom was awesome. Free wifi. The beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast was included and was one of the most extensive I have seen. They will make eggs to order or an omelette.

There is a pool and fitness center . Please note that the pool is closed to children under 16 after 6pm.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank matwags
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The title sums it up really - a bunch of us stayed here for my "hen" weekend. Perfect location. The room was fantastic - so clean and modern, bed was one of the most comfy that I have experienced in a hotel in a while. what really stands out here in the staff. They really were exceptional. We dined in the restaurant on Friday night and the food was fab (think the chef is called Sebastian? - compliments to him for the excellent fish!). Our waiter was so so friendly and genuinely interested in us (think his name was Marcin? - i really need to write them doewn next time) that he made our night. He was so nice, recommending wines & what was good on the menu etc etc. Throughout the weekend, what I really noticed was how every staff member would say hello, give a smile, go out of their way to help & pay attention to the guests. They are obviously a very happy and/or professional team! They even posted something that I had left behind in the room after check out - thanks for that:-) (The only reason I marked down slightly was check-in. One of the front desk team was having a fight with her computer but as someone who works on a front desk myself, you always have to greet the person & ask them politely to bear with them a few moments. She left us standing there, loaded with baggage, looked at us and went back to fighting with her PC). But the rest of the staff really made it up to us for the rest of the weekend. Some of the best restaurant staff I have ever met. Thanks to all. Great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Rivershannonside,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to see your comments and read what you thought of our hotel. All your positive feedback has been passed on to my staff and Management team as well. I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations on all future stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We have just returned from an overnight stay in the river lee hotel cork. We were more than a little let down by this hotel.
The hotel itself and the facalities were fantastic, location also excellent a few mins walk into the city centre. The rooms were spacious modern and spotless clean.
I have to say that the customer service it what really let this hotel down. Upon arrivial we were greated at the reception area with a friendly face but that is where it ended as she was checking us in she asked us what we were doing in cork for the weekend we explained that it was a family break and she said that there was plenty of events that may interest us but when asked what exactly they were and where they we happening she had no clue !!! she went then to ask the rest of the staff and they pulled faces and said they had nt a clue. We were not directed to the lift of told how to find our bedroom we were left off to find our own way.
As I have mentioned the rooms were fantastic and were very much up to standard.
We had booked the hotels restaurant for dinner that evening and this is where it went downhill rapidly.
Again restuarant was lovely modern and airy we had reservations for 8.30 we were 5 mins early and we were sent away even though there were tables free and plenty of them. Our waitress that served us was very very nice but I cannot say the same for the maitre'd. The food was of very good quality and we were enjoying the evening until my partner found glass in his pork belly main dish !!!!! We immediatly called the first member of staff which happened to be the mailtr'd and he quickly removed the plate and disappeared never to come back to the table!!! We had to call the girl that was serving our table and show her the glass and she was mortified and went straight to deal with the problem. We had already been served desserts at this stage and my poor partner never got offered a replacment main course which was terrible. We were then told that we could have the bottle of wine on the house but we were still charged in the end for the entire meal !!!!!!!! We had prepurchased a package. I thought this was disgraceful. My partner had been actually chewing on glass and crunching it in his mouth before he realise what it was.He ended up being up all night being violently ill. A manger then came to our table although he was very nice and was skillfully trying to talk us down I did nt feel that anything he had to say made up for the fact there was glass in our dinner !!! The head chef even confirmed this. The manager then offered us a room upgrade if we wanted to stay the following night. We love Cork and had been toying with the idea all that week but when we said that we might actually take him up on the offer it turned out that he was unable to deliver.Which only lowered my confidence level in the hotel and its staff further !!! I don t think that our complaint has been dealt with seriously or had we been compensated for my partner been sick and our lovely family weekend away been ruined.
All in all the hotel is beautiful location is great but staff is no where near the 4* that it is supposed to be. For this reason we would think twice about returning to this hotel and have stayed in many of the other hotels in the city and have far better experiences.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Gabbiperrozzi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvsior. Firstly I would just like to apologise for the below par service you received this is not the level of service we pride ourselves on here at the River Lee Hotel. Please be assured that all customer feedback is taken on board and I am investigation all your feedback thoroughly.

I hope to see you back at the river lee some time in the future so you can see the positive results of your feedback.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed our short visit to the River Lee. I think it is best summed up by her asking me "do we really have to leave"? It is very modern and fashionable, with very good food and a charming staff. I really appreciated one of the staff running down the hallway after us to wish us goodbye. It's a lovely place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DBS17

Dear DBS17,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and indeed for sharing your positive experience with others. I was delighted to read your review and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much. All your comments have also been forwarded to al my staff and management team.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

This hotel is just a few years old and is very well designed and very comfortable. Facilities are excellent, bar is very welcoming and good choice of food and wines in both restaurant and for room service. Main shopping area and restaurants in Cork city are just a couple of hundred metres away and it is right next to UCC. The River Lee tops the Clarion for room design and comfort by far and is probably the best choice for city centre. Rates are reasonable - executive rooms are worth paying an extra €10-15 for. Target rate €90-110 for a standard room. All in all a very solid choice for a bit of comfort when on business and good for the city if on a break.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business