“Great stay”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We arrived from Dublin. The Garmin in our rental car couldn't find the hotel, but our iPad GPS did.

We stayed in a "river view" room on the fifth floor (top floor). We had a panoramic view of the small river lee and a major hillside of Cork. Very nice view. The staff were very helpful. Breakfast was perfect. Everything you would want. My wife and I tend to cereals and fruits for breakfast, and they were plentiful.

Walk to downtown was short and easy.

Wi-fi was fast and easy to connect.

Room had a lovely CD player, yet, these days I would prefer and iPod dock instead.

Parking is under ground. And included in room rate.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guy S
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Guy S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read your feedback and see such wonderful comments on the hotel, staff and Food. I have also shared all your positive comments with my Team.

I hope I can welcome you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.

Ruairi O’Connor

Write a ReviewReviews (3,716)

Reviewed 24 May 2012

When you arrive at this glass fronted modern hotel, you will not be disappointed, starting with the large underground car park with lifts to reception, the welcome from the check in staff, can only be bettered by the impressive bedrooms, reached via a glass elevator with views over Cork, and once again as we have found as in most Irish hotels the staff treat you as long lost friend, nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is 10mins gentle walk from the City Centre, passing along the way (5mins) the Liberty Grill, where we dined (see separate review) If you are looking for quality this hotel is a must.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris S
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Dear chris in Northants,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to see your comments and read what you thought of our hotel. All your positive feedback has been passed on to my staff and Management team as well. I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations on all future stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 May 2012

When myself & my boyfriend came to Cork for a few days we stayed in the River Lee as it was recommended. It is a very modern & clean hotel. The staff were friendly and we enjoyed our two day stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yankee0405
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Yankee0405,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and have passed your kind comments on to the rest of my team also.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Ruairi O'Connor

Reviewed 22 May 2012

If you want to be close to the city centre this is the hotel for you.
The reception is very efficient, on arrival and departure. I have stayed here several times.
The rooms are excellent, always immaculate. The beds are very comfy and decent size telly. Wifi is available in reception and bar area, if you need internet access in your room you will need to use the ethernet cable. Not so good if your using an iPad or similar tablet device.

The bar is very nice, overlooking the River Lee, food is good in the bar and reasonably priced.

My only complaint is the breakfast, it is buffet, but if you want poached eggs it is a lottery on who and how they will be cooked.

Don't waste your money on the executive rooms. They used to be worth the extra, but the availabilty in the bar has got tighter and tighter.

Room Tip: Choose a room over looking the River Lee. Try and get room numbers ending 17 ( ie 117, 217, 317, 417...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Dear John R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Firstly I would like to apologise for the below par service you experienced with the Breakfast food the eggs in particular and I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service we wish to provide to our guests. Your feedback is an invaluable tool that will be used to help us to continue to improve our service standards for your future stays I hope you will have with us. I was happy to read that the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

I do hope my team and I can welcome you back to the River Lee Hotel soon so you can see the positive results of your feedback in action.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions for both business and pleasure, because of the great service that is provided here. The check in is very fast and efficient, the lobby is gorgeous! Even the lifts, and the fantastic hall ways are a joy as you go to your room. The rooms are very spacious, and comfortable. I've also eaten in the restaurant, and they serve good hearty meals! The breakfast is large, and good quality, with plenty choice. The whole hotel has a great ambience, and almost doesn't feel hotel like. It is practically in the city centre, with University College Cork and the city centre a 5 minute walk in either direction. The number 5 and 8 buses also stop near the hotel, so if you are coming from the train station, the number 5 will take you directly from the train station to the hotel. It is a bit pricey alright, but you get what you pay for. I have since recommended this hotel to my work place, and now on trips to Cork, most colleagues stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Anne M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor and sharing your positive experience with others. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2012

I have been meaning to write a review of this hotel for a while. I have stayed here on business a couple of times and was sufficiently impressed that when I needed a place to take my wife for our 8th anniversary, I didn't hesitate to choose this hotel. We live in Killarney and wanted a city break that was really close, so this place fit the bill.
I had previously stayed in 'standard' rooms which were good, but on this occasion I upgraded to the exec 5th floor, which gave us some nice extras.
Check in was professional and smooth. The only slight problem was that the lift from the car park was out of order at the time, but not too much of a drama!
The room was perfectly in order with a great view of the river lee. We had a drink in the bar, before
heading out for a night 'on the town'!
It's about a 5-10 min stroll to town. We had a great dinner in Electric bar, followed by some drinks and dancing in the Bodega bar.
The best part though was breakfast! I have never experienced more personable and friendly chefs, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for these guys.
I always always check on trip advisor before booking any hotel, but this is the first time I have posted any feedback.
A good sign I think.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank DazzlerCo.Kerry
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Dear DazzierCoKerry,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at the River lee and for taking the time to write your great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us on several occasions and want to share your positive experience with others.

I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations in both quality and service and I hope to welcome you back soon to the River lee hotel.

I have passed all your feedback onto our staff and management team

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed here with our tour group May 11 - 12th, 2012. What a well run and well appointed hotel! The staff was attentive and professional. The hotel rooms were large and comfortable. They have a lovely restaurant and bar with outside seating. If I returned to Cork on my own I would choose to stay at the River Lee.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear EKW50,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am delighted to read that you thought so highly of the hotel and wanted to share your positive experience with others. I have passed all your feedback onto the all the staff and management team as well

I do hope to see you back soon at the River lee hotel.

Ruairi O Connor