“Increasingly disappointing experience”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin
“Increasingly disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I've stayed in the River Lee Hotel quite a bit over the last two or three years. I have moved from being delighted with the standards to being increasingly disappointed with it. While prices have seemed to increase, the level of service provision seems to have decreased.

This year I've definitely noticed that the hotel seems to be hosting far more groups of "hen" and "stag" parties, and on a couple of recent visits this has led to a couple of intimidating experiences around the entrance. I would hazard a guess that this isn't unrelated to the fact that I've had a bit of trouble with noise in the early hours too. Needless to say this isn't the kind of experience you want when you're staying in a hotel and it is a real shame that this has crept in to what I thought used to be a nice quiet hotel.

I've also had a couple of bad experiences at check-in. I appreciate that the hotel probably gets a lot of business from tour groups but I firmly believe that independent travellers shouldn't be ignored and treated less favourably simply because they are not part of the more lucrative tour group market. As a repeat visitor I'd like to think that my custom should be valued too! I also don't think you should have to feel like you're haggling in order to get what you've booked as part of a package.

In previous years most times I visited I was given river view rooms. Unfortunately on the last few visits over the last couple of months I have stayed in the (seemingly) smaller rooms at the back of the hotel. These rooms are certainly darker, and many overlook a noisy generator and the wheelie bins in the yard below.

That said, the breakfast is good, and the beds are extremely comfortable!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Dumplanders
Dear Dumplanders,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Firstly I would like to apologise for the below par service you experienced during your recent stay and Secondly I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service we here the River Lee provide to our customers and most especially our loyal and regular customers. Your feedback is an invaluable tool that will be used to help us to continue to improve our service standards for your future stays I hope you will have with us.

I do hope my team and I can welcome you back to the River Lee Hotel soon so you can see the positive results of your feedback in action.

The River Lee Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel exceeds all expectations! I cannot believe some of the terrible reviews, and had to do my own. We were embarking on a 5 week Ireland/Europe holiday and booked this hotel at a great rate months in advance. On arrival we were welcomed as if we were regular guests, and our room was incredible - spacious, lovely decor, warm, inviting and sparkling clean. We had the best sleep here (out of 14 other accommodation), the bedwas comfortable and cosy and luxurious pillows. Bathroom was huge and lovely.
We had dinner in the bar area, and expecting an average meal, we were astounded at the quality and delicious flavours. We shared a burger (so what right?) but this was the best we have tasted. The patty, the bun, bacon and cheese was incredibly tasty. The salad was the biggest surprise - seeds, crunchy vegies in a blend of flavours!
The breakfast provided has been the best display and most delicious we have ever experienced! The freshness and flavours, and generousity in food offered is outstanding.
The staff were friendly and looked after us well - we were there for only one night and felt like VIPs, and noticed that other guests were also treated as warmly.
We would go back to Ireland and would stay here again (in fact this hotel would be our reason to go to Ireland again)!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank AltonaDoubleA
Dear AltonaDoubleA,

I would like to thank you or staying with us at the River lee and for your wonderful comments about our hotel, location and bedrooms. It is great to receive such positive feedback from customers.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

the view from the rooms is fantastic considering the location service was impecable the rooms were a good size and had everything u ever need!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Colmoc1,

Thank you or taking the time to post your tripadvisor review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thought so highly of our hotel and facilities.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to the river lee Hotel.

san antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We enjoyed our one night stay in a beautiful room overlooking the river. I enjoyed curling up in the stuffed chair and watching the people walking on the street. The room was big enough for the three of us with a heated floor in the bathroom. We took a ten minute walk into town and found plenty of restaurant choices as recommended by the friendly hotel staff. By far the best part of our stay was the breakfast buffet. The hot and cold choices were plentiful and delicious. It was obvious that grat care was taken to use the feshest local ingredients including eggs and artisinal cheeses. I loved the home made yogurt in a tiny mason jar with plums. I wish we had another night here just for the breakfast. The hotel is large with a parking garage connected underground .

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank trixy007
Dear Trixy007,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences with others on tripadvisor. Our valued customers are our best asset and your feedback is an invaluable tool that we use to improve our standards and service and motivate our team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the River Lee Hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Liked this hotel. Very very comfortable and clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Felt rude when we'd decline complimentary water or assistance with anything.

If I had a whinge, it would be the location. It is a bit too far from the bus and train station. Others may find this a good thing though, not to being in the centre etc, but because we did day trips to Cobh and Blarney it wasn't as convenient as we'd like. And plus we were feeling lazy. :-)

Love to stay here again next month in July if I get a chance with a car rental to drive around the coast.

Beep beep!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the executive fifth floor because you get a room over looking the river and...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Fruity_Kiwi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read your lovely comments and see how much you enjoyed your time here with us. I have passed all your feedback to my team also and I hope I can welcome you back soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a work trip. It is in an imposing modern building right by the banks of the river, in a great location in Cork. It appears fairly grand, and the rooms were well decorated, a reasonable size, and pretty clean - there was a hair on my basin when I arrived, and some nasty-looking gunk down the plughole, but other than that it was spotless. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, and breakfast was excellent.

However, the room I was first allocated on arrival (room 202) was dark and dingy, and looked straight out onto a wall, no view whatsoever. It astonishes me that such a new, smart, modern hotel could have been designed with such a lack of consideration to the view. What is more it seems that I had been allocated a room for disabled guests, as there was an automatic door opener. So if you are in a wheelchair and make a booking there I would ask some very specific questions about the room! I desk staff were sympathetic when I asked to change, and I was moved to a room that did at least have direct daylight, but my initial experience certainly marred my stay there. Other than that it was a good hotel, and if I were to get a river view I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 (and possibly its equivalents on other floors) - ask for a river view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Climate_Criminal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I do wish to apologise that your room experience was below par on this occasion and I can assure you those comments will be investigated by my team and assure you experiences like that of yours are few and far between.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the River Lee Hotel soon so you yourself can see the positive results of your feedback.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed for one night in this Hotel. Lovely location overlooking the river. Nice stroll into the heart of things. Very pleasant staff. Comfortable beds. Clean rooms. Free newspaper in the morning and free parking. Good location if you are a vegetarian as the vegetarian restaurant Cafe Paradiso is just across the road. Very good breakfast. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river, very nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Camogli46
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Camogli43,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can continue to exceed all your expectations for future stays.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.