“Amazing spa day”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Ireland
“Amazing spa day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Was given a spa voucher for this hotel so went on a day trip. From start to finish, I loved it. Utter pampering, friendly and courteous staff, beautiful facilities and afterwards the fresh fruit and water that you had while relaxing on cushions was a terrific touch. Will definitely be dropping hints for my next birthday!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Dear 7-Fritz7_7_7,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor and indeed for sharing your positive comments with other guests. I was delighted to read your lovely review and hope that we can continue to try and exceed all your expectations on future stays.

Best Regards,
Ruairi O’Connor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I had great expectations when booking this hotel - it had great reviews on this site, and I was looking forward to a nice stay. I have to agree with an earlier reviewer that the hotel feels like it is in decline. The carpets in the hall were visibly stained (they looked like a bottle of red wine had been poured over them) and the carpets in the room were starting to mildew.

I'm not usually one who is affected by scent, but the cleaning solution used to clean the rooms was overly powerful, and the room required a good deal of airing out. The back of the hotel faces a loading dock/ service area, which can be quite noisy, especially with the windows open to try and counteract the smell of the cleaning solution.

The service was fine - nothing overly special, but not terrible either. I didn't realize that breakfast was offered at this hotel until after the first day, as the reception desk did not point this out.

Overall, the hotel feels very generic - like it could be one of a hundred other hotels in Ireland or abroad - fine if you're on a package tour or in the city for business, without a desire for a hotel that's really special.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank caycay_can
Dear Caycay_Can,

Thank you for taking the time to post your Review on the River Lee Hotel. I was disappointed to read that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would like to assure you that we take all feedback on board as this can only help us improve our service for all our customers. I have pass all your comments on to the staff and management team as well and our Food and beverage Manger is investigating with her team the feedback about the service.

I do hope to see you back soon at the River Lee Hotel so you yourself can see the positive results of your feedback.

Ruairi O Connor
Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

First time staying at this hotel but were very impressed with the service and the welcome especially from our waitress Marta on the first night at dinner. She couldn't have been more accomodating! Our dinner was excellent and although desperate to taste the desserts were unable to after the delicious main course (this was remedied the following night). The buffet breakfast was superb and the choice amazing.
Our room was very comfortable and cleaned to a high standard. Beds were very comfortable and we heard little or no noise from other rooms although we were at the back with no great view.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel in Cork and if possible we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the river as this is a great feature of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mary M
Dear Mary M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The river lee hotel Cork and the entire Doyle collection prides itself on its individually and dedication to exceeding all our Guests expectations and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can continue to deliver the high level of service you have come to expect from us.

I forward to welcoming you back to Cork again in the near Future.

Ruairi O Connor
Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Lovely hotel and in the main brilliant staff BUT and there were major buts

Firstly we had booked our 12 year old in the room so there were 3 of us but only 2 towels and 2 lots of bathroom accessories
Secondly in the bar before dinner. "What kind of Gin do you have?" I asked. "Do not know" was the reply-"Look on the Menu" was offered. So we ordered. The Gin we ordered was out of stock. The bar staff should know what is out of stock. But I suppose it was more fun talking to the other bar staff then finding out what was not available. 7 members of the bar staff passed our table where there was dirty delph from previous occupiers of the table-none of them picked it up until 15 minutes had passed and then the 8th that passed picked up.
Thirdly we had a very nice dinner, the food is excellent but do staff have to move the furniture around next to our table in order to set for breakfast while we were in the middle of it?
Fourthly, they have this strange system of getting a voucher at reception which you then hand in when you arrive in the restaurant. I signed for the meal but when I came to settle the bill the next morning they had charged me for what I had signed for the previous evening and 2 table d'hote menus and a childs menu after 5 minutes of explaining they removed the over charging-but it should not happen
Fifthly the very nice leisure center does not open before 9.00am on a Saturday morning so that if you are leaving before that you cannot use it
Sixth Your room/lift cards demagnitised themselves very easily
Seventh the breakfast is wonderful except not everybody likes smoky bacon!

A pity so near yet so far - full of potential - but just not good enough

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Djsmyth100550,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I was disappointed to read about the service you received in the Bar and also to read the comments on the lack of amenities in your room and I would like to assure you this is not the level of service we adhere to and I will be investigating all your comments with my Management team.

I do hope that I can welcome you back soon you can yourself see the positive results of your feedback.

Best Regards,

Ruairi O'Connor
LONDON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here on a couple of occasions. Room comfortable, good leisure centre and swimming pool. Location ok for the city centre. My main concern is during a three night stay last November (9th), the fire alarm sounded during the night. It continued for at least ten minutes. I went into the corridor and couldn't see any staff. There was nobody to explain what was happening. Was it a false alarm or was there a real problem? I called reception and was told there was a problem with a smoke alarm in the kitchen. It eventually stopped. I went back to bed and the alarm started again and continued for at least another ten minutes. At checkout I was given a standard apology. I understand that an alarm can be activated, however, I wasn't impressed by how it was handled. No staff about to explain what was happening. From my experience, I wasn't convinced they have a proper evacuation procedure in place. I would expect that if they have a fire alarm sound, especially at night, that they would send someone to each floor to let their guests know what is happening. I've written the review now as I'm returning to Cork in August and as a result of this experience will choose the Clarion Hotel over the River Lee hotel. Hopefully the management will use this feedback to improve their response should this situation happen again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Irish71,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, Firstly I would just like to apologise for the issue's that occurred during your last stay and also to assure you that all our tem and staff are fully trained on fire evacuation and procedures and this is also checked regularly by our Health and safety Manager in Dublin. Unfortunately what occurred that night was an unforeseen alarm sensor malfunction, which should not occur again.

I hope that I will at some have an opportunity to welcome you back so you can see the positive results of your comments in action.

Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I've stayed in the River Lee Hotel quite a bit over the last two or three years. I have moved from being delighted with the standards to being increasingly disappointed with it. While prices have seemed to increase, the level of service provision seems to have decreased.

This year I've definitely noticed that the hotel seems to be hosting far more groups of "hen" and "stag" parties, and on a couple of recent visits this has led to a couple of intimidating experiences around the entrance. I would hazard a guess that this isn't unrelated to the fact that I've had a bit of trouble with noise in the early hours too. Needless to say this isn't the kind of experience you want when you're staying in a hotel and it is a real shame that this has crept in to what I thought used to be a nice quiet hotel.

I've also had a couple of bad experiences at check-in. I appreciate that the hotel probably gets a lot of business from tour groups but I firmly believe that independent travellers shouldn't be ignored and treated less favourably simply because they are not part of the more lucrative tour group market. As a repeat visitor I'd like to think that my custom should be valued too! I also don't think you should have to feel like you're haggling in order to get what you've booked as part of a package.

In previous years most times I visited I was given river view rooms. Unfortunately on the last few visits over the last couple of months I have stayed in the (seemingly) smaller rooms at the back of the hotel. These rooms are certainly darker, and many overlook a noisy generator and the wheelie bins in the yard below.

That said, the breakfast is good, and the beds are extremely comfortable!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Dumplanders
, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Dumplanders,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Firstly I would like to apologise for the below par service you experienced during your recent stay and Secondly I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service we here the River Lee provide to our customers and most especially our loyal and regular customers. Your feedback is an invaluable tool that will be used to help us to continue to improve our service standards for your future stays I hope you will have with us.

I do hope my team and I can welcome you back to the River Lee Hotel soon so you can see the positive results of your feedback in action.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel exceeds all expectations! I cannot believe some of the terrible reviews, and had to do my own. We were embarking on a 5 week Ireland/Europe holiday and booked this hotel at a great rate months in advance. On arrival we were welcomed as if we were regular guests, and our room was incredible - spacious, lovely decor, warm, inviting and sparkling clean. We had the best sleep here (out of 14 other accommodation), the bedwas comfortable and cosy and luxurious pillows. Bathroom was huge and lovely.
We had dinner in the bar area, and expecting an average meal, we were astounded at the quality and delicious flavours. We shared a burger (so what right?) but this was the best we have tasted. The patty, the bun, bacon and cheese was incredibly tasty. The salad was the biggest surprise - seeds, crunchy vegies in a blend of flavours!
The breakfast provided has been the best display and most delicious we have ever experienced! The freshness and flavours, and generousity in food offered is outstanding.
The staff were friendly and looked after us well - we were there for only one night and felt like VIPs, and noticed that other guests were also treated as warmly.
We would go back to Ireland and would stay here again (in fact this hotel would be our reason to go to Ireland again)!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank AltonaDoubleA
, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear AltonaDoubleA,

I would like to thank you or staying with us at the River lee and for your wonderful comments about our hotel, location and bedrooms. It is great to receive such positive feedback from customers.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.