“Girls weekend”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was my staff at the River Lee Hotel and I found it a wonderful hotel, staff could not be more friendly and helpful, food in the Weir bar was lovely. Would recommend hotel to anyone and will be booking our girls away weekend again next year..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joan O
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Joan O,

Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely thoughts of your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted you and your friends had a great weekend away. We always have some fantastic offers available so please do not hesitate to give us a call for the next weekend you are planning.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the not too distant future,

There are newer reviews for The River Lee

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked the spa package weekend in the River Lee hotel which also included an evening meal. There are probably cheaper deals in other hotels, but I doubt that you will get better value than the River Lee. This hotel does everything right, and all of the staff are professional and friendly.

When we arrived, the hotel gave us a room upgrade because we were celebrating an anniversary so we had a beautiful view over the Cork city and the river. The room itself was very nice as well.

The food/drink/leisure center are all outstanding. Another plus is that the city center is only a short walk away. The breakfast deserves a special mention. It is a buffet breakfast, but the quality of ingredients was exceptional. A great variety of food, and all top quality produce.

The only small issue that we has over a memorable weekend away (and this happens in most hotels) is that the room key stopped working at 12 on the day of checkout, even though we had arranged for a late checkout. This is just a tiny issue and it did not change our impression of the hotel (I just wish that hotels would allow for an extra bit of time before room keys are deactivated)

Room Tip: I doubt that there are bad rooms in the hotel, but try for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ballyv24,

Wow what a great review. I am thrilled to see you had such a great stay with us! I am delighted to see that you had the opportunity to avail of our Spa Package. This is a wonderful package which include 1/2 nights bed and breakfast with spa treatments and also a 2 course meal! This is just one of our many packages. I do hope you enjoyed the Executive Floor and that this added to the celebration of such a special time for you both. We do try to ensure that guests have a memorable and luxurious stay with us and we do try to highlight special occasions happening whilst staying with us.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at the River Lee Hotel in March for a business trip, and I had a mixed experience. On the one hand, the room was clean and comfortable, but nothing extravagant, and the bar area was quite nice. However, my shower lacked hot water on most days, and they decided to replace the hallway carpet during my stay, which made for an interesting experience.

The gym is adjacent to the hotel, but it is not easily accessed from the hotel, so I had to exit through the lobby and enter next door. The employees at the gym seemed to be annoyed with the hotel customers, and the gym was extremely crowded.

The lobby staff were superb. They were extremely helpful and friendly, and they were probably the best part of my stay. They went out of their way to provide excellent service whenever I had any interactions with them. In hindsight, I should have approached them about the (lack of) hot water situation.

I would definitely stay here again, as it's probably the best alternative in Cork. However, comparing it to other accommodations throughout the world, it's certainly not a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear sacleonard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork. We appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests. I am glad you found our Lobby Team so friendly and helpful and should you have an issue during your stay they are more than willing to help and resolve it immediately to ensure you have a memorable and enjoyable stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here on numerous occasions for various events and cannot fault the place whatsoever. The staff are extremely friendly, helpfully, positive and warm. The hotel itself offers the best in accommodation. The rooms are spotless clean and the atmosphere can be relaxed, quiet, busy And enjoyable. There's somewhere in this hotel for everyone due to its size. On business the staff are excellent providing all corporate needs without question. On a personal level they offer a far superior service than alot of other Irish hoteliers. I have travelled extensively and there's no comparison to the facilities and services offered by the river lee crew. My number one in cork and Ireland for home from Home. Thanks river lee.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Jezz7,
Wow you have given us such a glowing review of your recent stay! It is great to get such wonderful comments from guests who have stayed with us on numerous occasions. Our team are our best asset here at the hotel. They are such a friendly and obliging team and willing to go the extra mile to ensure guests have enjoyable and luxurious stays with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future and hopefully will get to meet you myself on your next stay.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Arrived on a Monday to find a queue of Cars trying to park. Call the hotel and was told the carpark was full and to park someone near to hotel to later move my car. Having driven 4 hours it was a letdown, and the hotel is not cheap. The Hotel knows how many people are booked in, it should really reserve spaces for residents.

The Hotel itself is nice,modern, Architecture is amazing, views from room are stunning. The hotel has a lot going for it. Staff very friendly and professional.

Only had breakfast, I have a gluten allergy and asked if certain dished were gluten free, the Chef knew exactly what was and wasn't and prepared something for me, he also gave me gluten free bread, (big thanks to the Hungarian chef...) The breakfast had it all. So I presume dinner there would be a good standard.

Carpets in the halls pretty stained. Rooms were big. I turned off my air-conditioning but there was a certain noise all night. The room has great window onto the Lee.

Its a good hotel, Celtic Tiger era I think. Its a good 15 mins walk from centre of cork, so its not really central, but its well located. I think Management have made a real effort to run the hotel well, that is clear. But a Great hotel is all about the details. If I were staying in the holiday inn I would not complain about carpets or parking, but since I paid for a quality hotel I expected more, parking big letdown.

Room Tip: Room on the lee.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear DublinRobert,
Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely comments of your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Our breakfast is one of the best in the city and we do our utmost to ensure all dietary requirements are met. We have a wonderful selection of gluten free items available for guests to choose from such as the full hot breakfast, cereal and also muffins & pancakes to name but a few of the items we have available.
I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Food and ambience was far beyond our expectations .ideal city location .staff were so helpful and friendly , what I would call going that extra mile rooms were comfortable and everything one could hope for No hesitation about returning any time opportunity arise Keep up the good work

Stayed: November 2013
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Kathleen D,

Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful comments about your recent stay with us! I am thrilled to see you felt we go the extra mile for guests to ensure that each guest has a memorable and luxurious stay with us.
I do hope we havethe opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel was booked for weekend break with my wife. The location was good as only a short walk from the city centre. We had a deluxe room with huge king size bed. Worth paying the extra for the 5th floor as you get access to the executive lounge with refreshments and snacks all day. Nice position overlooking River Lee, great view from the Bistro. A very relaxing comfortable hotel that I will certainly recommend and visit again if I return to Cork.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for deluxe room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear morestarsthanUSAflag,

Many thanks for taking the time to express such lovely comments of your recent stay here with us at The River Lee Hotel Cork. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed one of our Executive Rooms on the 5th floor. These rooms are beautiful with king size beds, bathrobes, slippers and also access into the Exutive Lounge which serves complimentary tea, coffee, pastries & juices throughout the day.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back to the hotel in the not too distant future.