“Exceeds every expectation!”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My son and I stayed here for one night. I was a little worried the hotel would not be child friendly but my concerns were ill founded. The level of service was excellent. The room is very well furnished with a great view of the river. The glass elevators were a big hit with my son. The swimming pool and fitness club next door were very high quality. The restaurant was very good quality also. Breakfast was quite expensive which was the only downside although the selection of continental and cooked breakfasts were top grade. Overall very good stay we would stay here again when in Cork.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Colin M,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back here again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The River Lee

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We couldn't find anything to fault at this hotel. On arrival we were upgraded to a wonderful room with every possible facility and comfort but we have no reason to doubt that standard rooms would have been just fine too. But even setting aside the quality of the room it was the staff who really made the whole experience so particularly pleasing.
We are vegetarians although some hotel restaurants do in our experience sometimes seem unprepared for such eccentricity the River Lee was able to present a full vegetarian menu instantly and was also very willing to adapt certain dishes to individual taste. We stayed for four nights and wished we had been staying longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Raymond F,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff. We are delighted your culinary needs were satisfied and we appreciate your acknowledgement of our vegetarian menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back here again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Irrespective of ratings this is the best hotel in Cork, Ireland's second city.
From the moment you meet the friendly, informed and and efficient reception staff you will find a hotel that cares about its guests.
Do not leave without trying the breakfast and the all-day dining in the bar will keep you going until the wee, small hours.
If you fancy a hotel in Dublin, London or Washington DC you could do worse than stay with the group - The Doyle Collection.
You will be hooked, I am !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear ghook,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our friendly and efficient staff. We are delighted you enjoy our culinary delights at breakfast- a perfect way to start your day.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back here again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Normally stay here for business but decided to bring the family for a weekend away in cork. Stayed in a standard triple room which was the perfect size for all 3 of us. Central Location was great and the Pool is perfect for kids.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear DarrenDub,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I will be eternally grateful for Janice's help today. The hotel is very lucky to have such nice, efficient and friendly employee. The hotel is fantastic, the food was delicious and all staff were efficient and would bend over backwards to help its customers.
Located on the river lee there is a great history surrounding this little piece of heaven. Would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Biny44,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff especially our wonderful colleague Janice Casey.
We are delighted The River Lee met all your corporate needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distance future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed their with family and friends for the weekend. This hotel is very spacious and clean. the rooms are amazingly airy with great facilities.

The bar is an open space with incredibly friendly staff.

Breakfast is a feast for ones eyes and bellies - don't miss it!

The spa and leisure facilities are great too.

It was my second time to stay here - I love it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank onemanguy

Dear Onemanguy,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We are pleased you have decided to come back again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having stayed here on numerous occasions before (and highly recommending it to family and friends) I am a huge fan of the River Lee and never stay any where else while in Cork. However this time we were a little disappointed with a couple of things during our stay. At check in, the receptionist tried to take a pre authorisation of the full room amount on my credit card, I said no problem. However the card declined twice (and gave me receipts to say so) even though I knew there was credit on it. So I said ok I will just pay in full on my debit card, no big deal, the receptionist was lovely about all of it, even if I was slightly mortified! That was fine.

We were booked into an Executive Room, 546, which was absolutely tiny. It was at the back of the hotel with a view of the kitchen delivery area! This was extremely disappointing, after staying in their Deluxe rooms the past few times we expected much better. If we had paid less we would have gotten a bigger room with a much nicer view of the river and city. We didn't complain as I had gotten about a dozen mosquito bites and was feeling quite unwell and just needed a bed at that time, but needless to say we were annoyed with the amount of money we spent (excluding breakfast) and to walk into a room where you couldn't even swing a cat was very disheartening.

The next day when I tried to use my credit card in Cork city, it was declined. I rang the bank to find out why and they informed me that I was over my limit because there was a charge from the River Lee Hotel. When I brought this up with the front desk they said that there was nothing that they could do and I would have to wait 2-3 working days to see if the money would come back onto my card. So even though the receptionist informed me and gave me a receipt to say my pre authorisation was declined on check in, it still went through and ended up putting a hold on my funds. So to cut a long story short, I ended up paying twice for a tiny room with a crap view. I didn't get my money back until today, 4 days after I came home.

Overall it was just a massive inconvenience as I couldn't enjoy my stay as much, because I basically had no money!

It wont stop us coming back in the future and we are already booked in for the Jazz festival in October, but I don't think we will be spending any extra on "nicer" rooms, and I think I might stick to cash next time!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mudbugbelly

Dear Mudbugbelly,

Thank your for posting your review of The River Lee Hotel.

We are currently investigating your incident with the bank to ensure this never happens again on check in. I truly apologise for the inconvenience caused. I'm delighted that you are returning to The River Lee Hotel during the wonderful Jazz festival and I look forward to welcoming you back.