“Gem of a hotel”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Victoria, Australia
“Gem of a hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We loved staying at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The car parking is free. The rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are comfortable and great wifi access. Breakfast offered a large variety of choice and staff regularly topped up our morning cuppa. We ate at the bar bistro and the food was delicious and well priced. Our room had a nice view of the river. Didn't use the leisure facilities but did indulge in a lovely massage at the Escape Day Spa located in the hotel on Level 1. Overall great hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Eddiefromoz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back here again in the near future.

Ruairi O'Connor,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We loved this hotel, stayed with my husband and our two toddlers and it was perfect. Room was lovely, breakfast delicious as was the bar food, kiddies enjoyed the pool and the complimentary colouring packs went down a storm. Great location. Will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Likegettingaway,

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff. We are delighted you and your family has an enjoyable time.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Context: a young gay couple on a trip through Ireland. We stayed in Cork for one night.

Staff at reception was cold and slightly abrasive. I feel he didn't take us seriously as we were a young couple dressed in shorts and a tee.

A credit card is required to book in, for authorisation purposes. Glad I actually took my credit card on holiday!

Although the room does advertise as being airconditioned, I felt this wasn't actually very powerful. It certainly didn't seem to make much difference.

Parking was good, (there is a parking lot directly under the hotel), but we were told we had to leave the car park at 2pm the next day, or be charged 2.50EUR an hour!

No biscuits. I was pretty surprised that there wasn't any biscuits with the tea-making facilities. I think it kind of added to the impression that this is really a business hotel, not a warm and friendly hotel for holiday-makers.

However, the hotel is in a great location, only about a five minute walk from the city centre. The room was very clean and spacious, and beds were comfortable, with feather-like pillows.

The shower was one of the very showers I've ever been in: it was a big shower cubicle and the water pressure was fantastic (better than at home). I spent a good 30 minutes in it. The hotel is also very generous with towels and complimentary shampoo/conditioner/bodywash.

I might stay here again if its a good deal, but for 175EUR, I felt we could probably have saved a lot more money and had a more welcome experience at a B&B. The hotel is probably perfect for business travelers, however, which is why I've rated it so highly. And to be fair, we did have a great sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rys W,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate all types of feedback and we will take on board your suggestions in order to improve on guest experience.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I go to Cork all the time, her company has an office there. We have always stayed at the Clarion, but decided to try something new this time. We stayed here ten days, in July 2014.

I will say that the rooms are quite abit nicer than the Cork Clarion, with more amenities. For example, The River Lee Hotel includes a safe, pants press, Krup expresso machine, free wifi, flat screen tv, and mini fridge, with the room. We were on the "executive floor", (5th floor), and an executive lounge, which has juices, water, coffee, tea, fruit, and pastries, with daily newspapers and cable tv, which is a nice touch. The hotel also has a very nice, and very large, workout facility, and a nice indoors pool.

On the downside, the hotel is farther away from everything, and we spent a lot more money on cab rides this trip. While my wife works during the day, I usually walk around, and there are some things with in reasonable walking distance, but for the most part, everything was much farther away. This includes places to eat, as the hotel has basically one menu, at the Weir Bistro and Weir Bar. The food/service is not terrible, but not great, either, which is something you could pretty much say about most restaurants in Ireland.

Not sure why that hotels in Ireland put the bathroom lights on the outside of the bathroom.. There is no way to turn on the lights without waking your spouse, when you make a midnight bathroom visit.. There is also a 'problem' with the commodes in this hotel, I'll not go in to details, but you'll see, the first time you use it.

The staff that we encountered at the hotel, were all professional and courteous.. I have no complaints in that department.

I would suggest, if you're going to spend time here, to download the Satellite Cab app on to your smart phone. You can book a cab by yourself, and if you use the app, you'll save 20% of the fare.

So, I would say that our stay here was nice. I like the rooms much better than the Clarion, although I like the convenience to city center, shopping, The Macau, etc at the Clarion. If the Clarion would improve the quality of their beds, and the customer service skills of their staff, we'd probably always stay there. Since that isn't going to happen, we'll probably return to the River Lee Hotel in future visits.

Would I recommend The River Lee to friends and family? Yes.. Would I stay here again? Yes, probably in the near future, since we come over here all the time.. I wish there was a rating at 3.5, because the River Lee is better than average, but at a 4, would be too close to the Merrion Hotel (Dublin), and it's not that good.

Room Tip: download the Satellite Taxi app to your smart phone, you're going to be needing a cab, might as...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Raydioman61
Dear Raydioman61,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff. We are delighted that you choose to come to The River Lee Hotel and we take on board all your comments as it helps our team here improve future guests experience.

v
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel during our tour of Ireland. The room was comfortable and the separate shower a nice touch. Loved the glass wall views by the elevators and the view of the river from the dining room. See photo.

Stayed July 2014
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Osborn007,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to read you had a lovely stay with us. Our hotel has glass window throughout the hotel for guests to enjoy the wonderful views of the city.

I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the not distant future.

Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel located in Cork was our last stop on our land tour of Ireland.

Beautiful place, right by the river. Great staff, spacious room. Stand alone shower, plenty of toiletries.

Excellent dinner & great breakfast. They opened the dinning room breakfast at 4.30 a.m. especially for our group, because we had an early flight back to London. Much appreciated.

From the hotel you could walk to the City Market & other stores.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Nonnita02,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a great comments of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to see you had a wonderful trip of Ireland and had a great visit to Cork. Our Executive Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and his team have devised wonderful menu's with an array of wonderful dishes made from locally sourced ingredients which bring freshness and flavours to all of our dishes.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel was within easy walking distance to great shops, parks, and restaurants. The staff was very helpful and the rooms were clean. The food at the Weir Bar was very tasty! I had a great experience and recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cork!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear SusanHarris123,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to read you had such a wonderul time here. Our team at the hotel are our best asset and are more than willing to go that extra mile to ensure all of our guests have a memorable and luxurious stay with us.