“Overbooking ?”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is a great hotel. Very conveniently located in central Cork. Unfortunately, last time I was here (June 2014) I had an unpleasant surprise: I arrived in the evening from the airport, just after dinner time, and the receptionist told me that they did not have a room for me, due to overbooking. Mind that I had a reservation (with booking.com). They told me that overbooking is a normal practice for them and they offered to relocate me in another hotel (same quality) near the city center. I was tired after a long trip and protested. I did not want to leave for another hotel. Thus after some discussion they found a lower rate room for me. Clearly they also lowered the price I had at the time of reservation.
Nice hotel but strage attitudes: I will not book there next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gmmlcu
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear gmmlcu,

We apologise sincerely again for the overbooking of our Executive rooms back in June.
Due to an internal situation we had to offer you alternative accommodation in Cork City as we were over booked on your particular room type.
However we did have alternative room types available and you kindly agreed to stay with us on a reduced rate in one of one of our Superior Rooms.
I also wish to add that this is not a very regular occurrence and while I appreciate that this is not much of a consolation to you, we do hope that you enjoyed your time in Cork.

Ruairi O'Connor

Write a ReviewReviews (3,715)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This attractive hotel is several blocks from downtown Cork's market and other sights. It gives the appearance of being a first-class operation, and its personnel are friendly. BUT it can't seem to get the details right. In our short stay there, we encountered a nonworking ice machine, a faulty thermostat depriving us of air-conditioning, towel shortage, and faulty safe. At an otherwise very good breakfast, we were served unripe kiwis--expensive food that went to waste. This place needs an inspector general.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you move in.

Dear EdwardBonekemper,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The River Lee Hotel and for taking the time to post your review.

I would like to assure you that I am very grateful for your helpful feedback, as it highlights the area where we can direct our immediate attention to resolve any issues in our rooms. We thank for your kind words regarding our staff and I truly hope to welcome you back to The River Lee Hotel in the near future.

Ruairi O'Connor
General Manager.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed for one night in this hotel and absolutely loved the location and the service, which was very friendly.
If you want to stay in the city centre, I will definitely recommend this hotel, the rooms are large, comfortable beds and the area itself is great.
Try to get a room in a higher floor as the views are amazing.

Dear Pablost,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff. We are delighted you had an opportunity to take advantage of our wonderful panoramic views of Cork City and we thank you kindly for your wonderful comments regarding our customer care.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back here again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Beautiful modern hotel a few minutes' walk from Cork's charming city center. Generous windows let in light and color throughout the property. Staff was friendly. Excellent value, too. Good breakfast, and a little babbling brook outside the dining room made this hotel almost too idyllic to be true.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view - one side definitely has better views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Evan F,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel.

Thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our staff and breakfast. I am trilled to read that your were so pleased with our hotel. Its always a delight to hear we managed to exceed our guests expectations.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The River Lee Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel was very nice and I have no complaints. They gave us a nice river view which we requested. I didn't use the restaurant - there are many options for eating in very close walking distance to the hotel. Beds were comfortable and it was a quiet stay. There is a safe but no refrigerator in room. Truth, Cork was a little depressing compared to other locations we stayed in Ireland. I think going to West Cork area is supposed to be nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear santonez,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our beds and amenities. I am trilled to read that your were so please with our hotel. I hope you had a fantastic time in West Cork.
I very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The River Lee Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Staying in The River Lee Hotel was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had for quite some time. From the time we met Kevin at the front desk to the time we checked out we couldn't have been looked after better. Within minutes of arrival we had been checked in, a dinner reservation in the hotel and a taxi organised to take us to the venue we were going to that evening.
The hotel itself is amazing. From the bar and restaurant there are beautiful views of the river and its wiers.
the rooms are luxuriously decorated and incredibly comfortable.
I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in Cork for one night or more.
Manager Ruari and his fabulous team ( Tasha in the bar, Jolanta in the dining room and Pierce , Kevin and Leanne) will really look after you.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ptrat

Dear ptrat,

Thank your very much indeed for your kind praise of our staff and service especially Kevin, Tasha, Jolanta, Leanne and Pierce. I am trilled to read that your were so please with our hotel. Its always a delight to hear we managed to exceed our guests expectations.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My parents and I stayed for 3 nights and it was a delight from beginning to end. Wonderful, friendly and efficient staff and the hotel tries to make you feel like a home to home visit. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Ruben-UK-2013,

Thank your very much indeed for your kind praise of our staff ad service. I am trilled to read that your were so please with our hotel that it felt like home. Its always a delight to hear we managed to exceed our guests expectations.