“Clean and comfortable”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay here for 1 night in Cork. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the views were nice from our room and we were within walking distance of the city center. Parking was easy and efficient.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear 6inourfamily,

Thank you for taking the time to express such kind feedback of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted your enjoyed your stay at The River Lee Hotel. We have a wonderful location here in Cork. Only a 10 minute walk into the heart of the City.

I truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our rooms and I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future.

Ruairi O'Connor

Write a ReviewReviews (3,689)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This property is very ultra modern. Great place to stay. Rooms very nice with all the amenities. If it was not there you did not need it for Breakfast. Supper food was also outstanding. Bar service very good. They had a nice patio which we ate and drank on beside a river. Extremely nice setting for eating and drinking.

Dear Stormyfan,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay and especially our breakfast. Our Executive Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and his team have devised some amazing menus for our breakfast, lunch and dinner with ingredients that are locally produced and freshly prepared to ensure that every dish is made to the highest quality.

I truly hope to welcome you back here again to The River Lee Hotel.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The room was extremely comfortable, very well designed and well appointed. The views across the City was excellent. The hotel is in a great location, with a good car parking facility leading to underneath the lobby. The pool / spa facilities are fine enough.

Staff and management (presumably) excellent. All questions brilliantly addressed, and information provided was extremely relevant and proactive.

I didn't feel I lacked for anything, and so I cannot fault this hotel, and would try to find any excuse to revisit Cork City to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear TerryTibbs2014,

Thank your for posting your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel both facilities and staff. We are delighted we exceeded your expectations throughout your stay.

We do hope to welcome you back here again in the near future.

Ruairi O'Connor,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were in a group of 11.... my partner and I chose upon check in to upgrade to a superior room with a king bed. it was about 45 euro a night extra I believe. The room was beautiful with a beautiful view through floor to ceiling widows. The mattress was thick, with high end bedding and provided myself with the best two nights sleep I had in my entire 12 day trip across Ireland and Northern Ireland. Cappuccino maker in-room with bath robes and slippers, in room fridge with complementary water, and standard AC in all rooms (pleasant surprise since everywhere else we stayed in Ireland, Air Conditioning seems to be not necessary). Shower plus bath and a host of toiletries.

This upgrade also included access with our room keys to the executive lounge which boasts floor to ceiling windows, 180 deg. views, reading material, a large flat screen TV, Coffee/cappuccino/latte/mocha machine. Couches, chairs and reading areas. Cheese's, fruit, crackers, muffins, nuts, fruit bars, granola bars, water (regular and carbonated)/ and an assortment of juices...... I'm not sure I got it all but there was a lot to choose from..... access 24/7 with no need to call the front desk for anything except if you order room service.....

The NRG Leisure centre is attached to the hotel but not owned by them. We found the pool to be excellent, with hot tubs, Jacuzzi's, sauna, steam room etc..... only complaint was that it was over chlorinated. So much so that it burned ones eyes when going under water. We didn't complain, but I see now that this is a reoccurring issue on several reviews, some dating back to 2012 so I don't see why the club hasn't modified this. There's really no need for chemicals to burn the eyes, a small amount can easily sanitize water.

This place was great, and all our party agreed that The River Lee in Cork was the best hotel we had stayed at in our 12 day trip..... We all commented how we were amazed at how other hotels (grand and expensive) in Dublin and Belfast had been rated 5 star.....in our minds, the only "hotel" in our 12 days which truly deserved a 5 star was The River Lee!.

In some reviews it states that parking and breakfasts were at a charge, but for us they were both included. So I do not really understand how hotel policy can change.... Speaking from a Canadian perspective, if breakfast is included, its "included", doesn't matter if you call the hotel or book it through any third party website and in Canada parking is almost NEVER charged to hotel guests. So when people speak to being charged to this on some reviews it must be some policy isolated to Ireland or maybe Europe.

For us, this was an absolute delight and would stay again without hesitation!

Room Tip: Go for the superior KING room! I always say I do not mind paying extra if I'm getting extra...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Riz F,

Many thanks for taking the time to share such lovely thoughts of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay. We do our utmost to ensure that all of our guests are well taken care of throughout their stay.

I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is a great hotel. Very conveniently located in central Cork. Unfortunately, last time I was here (June 2014) I had an unpleasant surprise: I arrived in the evening from the airport, just after dinner time, and the receptionist told me that they did not have a room for me, due to overbooking. Mind that I had a reservation (with booking.com). They told me that overbooking is a normal practice for them and they offered to relocate me in another hotel (same quality) near the city center. I was tired after a long trip and protested. I did not want to leave for another hotel. Thus after some discussion they found a lower rate room for me. Clearly they also lowered the price I had at the time of reservation.
Nice hotel but strage attitudes: I will not book there next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gmmlcu
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear gmmlcu,

We apologise sincerely again for the overbooking of our Executive rooms back in June.
Due to an internal situation we had to offer you alternative accommodation in Cork City as we were over booked on your particular room type.
However we did have alternative room types available and you kindly agreed to stay with us on a reduced rate in one of one of our Superior Rooms.
I also wish to add that this is not a very regular occurrence and while I appreciate that this is not much of a consolation to you, we do hope that you enjoyed your time in Cork.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This attractive hotel is several blocks from downtown Cork's market and other sights. It gives the appearance of being a first-class operation, and its personnel are friendly. BUT it can't seem to get the details right. In our short stay there, we encountered a nonworking ice machine, a faulty thermostat depriving us of air-conditioning, towel shortage, and faulty safe. At an otherwise very good breakfast, we were served unripe kiwis--expensive food that went to waste. This place needs an inspector general.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you move in.

Dear EdwardBonekemper,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The River Lee Hotel and for taking the time to post your review.

I would like to assure you that I am very grateful for your helpful feedback, as it highlights the area where we can direct our immediate attention to resolve any issues in our rooms. We thank for your kind words regarding our staff and I truly hope to welcome you back to The River Lee Hotel in the near future.

General Manager.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed for one night in this hotel and absolutely loved the location and the service, which was very friendly.
If you want to stay in the city centre, I will definitely recommend this hotel, the rooms are large, comfortable beds and the area itself is great.
Try to get a room in a higher floor as the views are amazing.

Dear Pablost,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review of The River Lee Hotel.

We truly appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff. We are delighted you had an opportunity to take advantage of our wonderful panoramic views of Cork City and we thank you kindly for your wonderful comments regarding our customer care.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back here again in the near future.

Ruairi O'Connor,