“Worst B&B Ever”

Acton Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Acton Lodge has to be the Worst B&B I have ever stayed in .

First of all I couldn't find the lodge tried to call 4 times for directions ,After getting very stressed driving up and down western rd ten times I finally got through on the 5th call .

I checked in and went straight up stairs to have a shower . To my disgust no hot water I had to have a cold shower . Thank god I brought my own towel cause there towels where a bit too funky .

I returned at roughly ten O'clock from the hospital where my Daughter was being treated to find no parking spaces . I had to park my car on the street and be up in time not to get a ticket.

The TV didn't work in the room to watch the semi final of the world cup . It did have sound so I had the joy of listening with a black screen .

Tried to find someone to have a look but no joy .

There was wifi I found out but no passwords where given on check in .

Again cold shower in the morning , the water started to get hot when I was getting out of the shower . So I would recon that you have to leave it run for ten mins to get work . Amazing !!!!

I didn't risk breakfast so I can't comment on that .

On checkout I advised all of the above to get an amazing discount of €5 off my stay price . If I didn't laugh I would be very mad .

All in all a shocking experience at a time when I didn't need it .

Greig Wilson (Very Unhappy Customer)

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank ukgwilson
smokeyCork, Owner at Acton Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Sir I am so sorry that you were stressed even before you arrived at our house. Checkin time is from 4pm for bookng.com guests, of which you were one, but you arrived 3 hours early. The general tone of your review is one of total stress so I feel it would be unfair of me to stress you any further by explaining in detail how you failed to operate the TV or the hot water correctly.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Second time to stay in this wonderful B&B - will return again. A delight to stay here. Very clean, very comfortable beds, excellent location, wonderful breakfast and friendly helpful staff (thanks Angela)

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Acton Lodge was very comfortable. We had a large room to accommodate the three of us. Everything was very clean and inviting. Great full Irish breakfast that is included in the price. Overall, a lovely experience in Cork.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I don't know how anyone could write a review of a facility they never entered, but this bed and breakfast was delightful inside and out! Spacious rooms and very clean bathrooms. There's a lovely courtyard in the back where you can keep your car in a gated area. The atmosphere was awesome, but the kind owners made the experience one to remember. The plentiful complimentary breakfast was the perfect way to end our stay. I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone looking to stay in Cork!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Saywhattrip
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Acton Lodge was one of the best B&B's We encountered on a two week tour of Ireland! We arrived in the later part of the evening, having made same day phone reservations. It was great to have safe, off street parking. Una, our hostess, gave us a warm welcome and graciously provided recommendations and directions for a selection of dinner venues, at our request. Our two rooms ( a family group, 5 adults ) were spacious, immaculate, warm, and had the most comfortable beds in all of our stay in Ireland ( that includes the three to five star hotels we also used). The bathrooms were updated and clean, with lots of hot water. Breakfast was well prepared and delicious. Our hostess was charming and very warm and friendly to chat with. We truly enjoyed their kind hospitality! Thanks again! We highly recommend this lovey place!!

Room Tip: There are first floor rooms behind the private quarters which may need rear entrance access in late...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

During an extended tour around Scotland and Ireland, we stayed in a number of B&Bs.
Unfortunately, our experience with Acton Lodge left us extremely dissolutioned. Having booked on-line and receiving the appropriate confirmation, we arrived at 3:40pm to find the place locked up. No note on door; I checked emails - no communication. We tried to phone (no reply) and waited 15 minutes before deciding that we needed to find alternate accomodation (in fact, we had time to walk down the road, find another B&B, walk back and write a note to express our disappointment at having been "stood up".)
As we were driving out, a vehicle arrived - it was a housekeeper, who informed us that the owners had "gone out."
We explained what had happened, and that, in the absence of any communication, we had been forced to make other arrangements.
Notwithstanding, my credit card was charged the full room rates as I had not given 24hours notice of cancellation (despite having only booked earlier that morning).
I can only comment about the exterior of this establishment (having had plenty of time waiting, waiting, waiting in vain).
The gate in off the road is extremely narrow, made even moreso by an abandoned hubcap on the middle of the driveway. The gardens (to use the term in its loosest context) were unkempt. Looking through the window into the dining room, we ascertained that the cheap wooden tables were adorned with even cheaper plastic covers.
While I know the tone and tenor of this review may give the impression that I am an impatient curmudgeon, I can only reflect upon other establishments we encountered in Ireland.
I am afraid, Acton Court receives a F-minus in the communication and initial impressions departments and an A-plus in greed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank AndyBeeNZ
smokeyCork, Owner at Acton Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Normally I don't bother to answer reviews as you can see,however, in this case it is necessary to clarify the situation. When you booked on the morning in question, you clearly stated you would be arriving between 4 & 5 pm. You arrived at 3.45pm. The housekeeper that we arranged to be on site to receive your party arrived at exactly 4pm. She called me to tell me you had made alternate arrangements. We had to source your booking number and call the travel agent booking.com. All time consuming and yet my call to the travel agent is logged at 4.10pm. In fairness you did threaten me that if I charged your credit card you would write negative comments about me on trip advisor. I see you are a man of your word.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Room was right at top of house, very small, expected to hang clothes on a little rail beneath the tv, which was very dated and had no remote. Bathroom was tiny and the only light was a shaving light, so if you ventured in the shower it was dark, which incidently was placed in a little alcove right next to the tiolet, and the shower curtain was filthy. I repeatly banged my head on the bathroom ceiling. There was no mirrors in the bedroom.

• Stayed: May 2014