“Felt at home here ..... Excellent”

Crawford Guest House B&B
Ranked #40 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I spent almost 1 week in the Killarney b&b, which is in effect the Crawford Guest House B&B.

The location was absolutely perfect for me sitting exams in UCC across the road. In regards to the cleanliness, from my room to the dining area - top to bottom spotless. I found my room, very comfortable and modern, with seemingly new and quite stylish blue carpet. In regards to service, the ladies from house keeping were wonderful and very pleasant to talk to, every morning they checked to see if I needed anything, more towels, milk, tea etc.
In fact all staff were very pleasant and the owner Margaret was always happy to stop and chat to me. I loved talking to her ! I felt extremely welcome here and my business was appreciated. Breakfast was served efficiently with a wide variety of choices, to include french toast, pancakes, full irish breakfast etc. Being a coelliac, breakfast is important to me - I was delighted when the dining staff would toast my gluten free bread to the way I liked it. Sleep quality was very good, this is not a noisy b&b, at night time otherwise I would not have stayed almost 1 week.

I would recommend this b&b to anyone visiting Cork. It has a lot going for it, its proximity to UCC, the city center, and is only about 2 miles off the motorway and most importantly the service.

I really enjoyed my stay here and will definately stay there again without doubt.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed for two nights whilst attending a conference at UCC and found this guest house pleasant and extremely good value. The staff were very accommodating about my late arrival (around midnight) and I found my room perhaps slightly more basic than the website advertises but clean and comfortable. The breakfast was wonderful, a huge a selection on the continental table and a great choice of cooked options: pancakes and french toast were a welcome departure from the typical 'Full Irish' and everything was accompanied with homemade scones and soda bread.The staff were once again very accommodating when I asked to leave my luggage after checkout and when I came to collect it after the conference ended they called me a taxi and let me wait in their sitting room until it arrived. This well situated guesthouse provides excellent value for money with a welcoming atmosphere.

Room Tip: Free WiFi a big bonus!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank amy_t_martin
Reviewed 26 November 2010

There was no heat on and it was freezing which resulted in a very uncomfortable nights sleep.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajah1
Reviewed 21 September 2010

After a fairly faultless journey to Cork we were greeted with an empty desk and a sign saying "if you need any assistance please go next door". So we did, to the next hotel to find someone who would give us the key to our room. I have to say the staff themselves were pleasant and respectful, but possibily unaware that the situation was odd.

This "Guesthouse" describes itself as a "luxury Bed & Breakfast which has been acclaimed by the AA with 4 diamonds and commended for its modern design and luxury details." - I'm not sure whether the AA have been round to stay recently but I could not see any modern design or luxury details. Further I would strongly disagree that the rooms were of a "contemporary design" or that the furniture was "marble." This said, I wasn't particularly bothered by the lack of modernity.
I think the website also overstates the facilities as, there was the standard shower, with rather annoying fabric curtain which draws in when the water is turned on- no "jacuzzi bath" in sight. Perhaps for all the above description you'd be better off in the hotel complex just down the road (I'm not marketing for this hotel BTW).

All the room may be equipped with satellite TV/Radio, however, Ireland would appear to have only 2 channels. This was also not a major problem as I'm not one for watch TV in hotels anyway. However, WiFi would've been a nice touch.

We had a disturbed night's sleep mainly through some kind of staff party going on upstairs and various people pacing the creaking floor boards until the early hours. Rather than being able to request reception to ask for assistance (go next door) - we had to sort it out ourselves. Needless to say the noise didn't quieten down completely and carried on for a further hour.
Not well rested from the noisy night we decided to head for something warm to eat for breakfast, still believing the 4 diamonds AA award.
"Enjoy breakfast in the conservatory. The buffet table provides a selection of cereals, house muesli, fresh fruits and compote. Follow with traditional Irish Breakfast,..."
Not quite - we found out that although there was a conservatory in the guesthouse opposite the reception, breakfast was served in the other hotel next door. This would've been ok on a fine day, but Cork in September has its inclement moments. So we headed next door and entered the tired, rather smelly dining room and tried to find someone. The very courteous waitress asked if we would like the "Full Irish Breakfast" to which we both agreed was a good idea. However when it arrived there was something rather different on our plates that what we'd imagined as "Full Irish" 2 sausages, which I daren't imagine what meat or other substances were made of, bacon, beans, a sour half-cooked tomato and an egg fried in some sort of bad chinese take-away cooking oil (which incidentally was the smell of the dining room in the hotel).

My major criticism of this B&B is that the website is inaccurate; I don't understand how the AA gave 4 diamonds; the bed part was noisy and the breakfast inedible. The staff, pleasant as anything, but despite mentioning several of the issues, were blissfully unaware that this is not how to run a hotel/B&B.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2010

The room was spotless and the hotel was within easy walking distance of the city centre. The owner was a lovely lady who was very accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leaher
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Must say the location is brilliant and I will def stay again. We has a lovely room, spacious, spotlessly clean and quiet. Got a great nights sleep which was just what we needed. We had breakfast the next morning but I have to say it is fine but not brilliant. The fruit is tinned and not fresh and the orange juice is not fresh either. I suppose what turned me off was my toast had blue mould on it. I said nothing which I guess I should have. The lady/hostess is really lovely. I really couldnt fault the bedroom. Next time I will stay but have my brekkie in the city.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed one night at the Crawford house while driving between Dublin and Killarney (and to visit Blarney), and it is a lovely B&B in a great location and easy to find and great parking. Breakfast is FANTASTIC. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated and ours and my parents rooms both had jacuzzi bath tubs! Hostess was so kind and nice and offered tips on anything you ask about in the area. Great B&B!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family