“A nice place with nice people...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crawford Guest House B&B

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Crawford Guest House B&B
Ranked #35 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“A nice place with nice people...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

A friend has recommended us this B&B and it was also mentioned in our lonely planet guide. We were a bit worried after reading the previous comment but it turn out to be a really nice place to stay and the manager Mrs. O’Leary was very pleasant, helpful and professional. We felt we got value for money and the breakfast, which was served in Killarney guesthouse next door kept us going for most of the day :-)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Stayed at the hotel which was arranged to be paid by my employer at a special business rate of €35 a night, I thought not a bad deal but my employer was paying for it. From day ONE, room was freezing cold, jacuzzi tub didn't work so the next day I was told I would be moved. I NEVER was moved! Food is greasy and fit for a heart attack and they actually yell at you if you come late! After 39 nights, the so-called manager Mrs. O'Leary who never could give me a straight answer about anything, came pounding on my door at 8 o'clock on a Friday night demanding €3000 immediately for €65 per night as my employer had been deducting money from my paycheck but not paying her! Now instead of suing the employer that she made the deal with, she is going after my medical license, which obviously nothing will happen as the Irish medical board has no jurisdiction over civil financial matters. Naturally she wrote to them, blatantly lied and she can't even figure out how much money she thinks she's owed but I believe not only because she is marginally intelligent, the entire organization is a group of thriving, lying bandits! They own Killarney House also next door! Stay away as you'll never know what the price is going to be as Mrs. O'Leary is incapable of gibing a straight answer. Now I gave to take them to civil court and sue them. A €15 hostel would have been safer! STAY AWAY!

• Stayed April 2011
5 Thank wildernessmd
Newbridge, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

I spent almost 1 week in the Killarney b&b, which is in effect the Crawford Guest House B&B.

The location was absolutely perfect for me sitting exams in UCC across the road. In regards to the cleanliness, from my room to the dining area - top to bottom spotless. I found my room, very comfortable and modern, with seemingly new and quite stylish blue carpet. In regards to service, the ladies from house keeping were wonderful and very pleasant to talk to, every morning they checked to see if I needed anything, more towels, milk, tea etc.
In fact all staff were very pleasant and the owner Margaret was always happy to stop and chat to me. I loved talking to her ! I felt extremely welcome here and my business was appreciated. Breakfast was served efficiently with a wide variety of choices, to include french toast, pancakes, full irish breakfast etc. Being a coelliac, breakfast is important to me - I was delighted when the dining staff would toast my gluten free bread to the way I liked it. Sleep quality was very good, this is not a noisy b&b, at night time otherwise I would not have stayed almost 1 week.

I would recommend this b&b to anyone visiting Cork. It has a lot going for it, its proximity to UCC, the city center, and is only about 2 miles off the motorway and most importantly the service.

I really enjoyed my stay here and will definately stay there again without doubt.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed for two nights whilst attending a conference at UCC and found this guest house pleasant and extremely good value. The staff were very accommodating about my late arrival (around midnight) and I found my room perhaps slightly more basic than the website advertises but clean and comfortable. The breakfast was wonderful, a huge a selection on the continental table and a great choice of cooked options: pancakes and french toast were a welcome departure from the typical 'Full Irish' and everything was accompanied with homemade scones and soda bread.The staff were once again very accommodating when I asked to leave my luggage after checkout and when I came to collect it after the conference ended they called me a taxi and let me wait in their sitting room until it arrived. This well situated guesthouse provides excellent value for money with a welcoming atmosphere.

Room Tip: Free WiFi a big bonus!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amy_t_martin
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

There was no heat on and it was freezing which resulted in a very uncomfortable nights sleep.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajah1
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

After a fairly faultless journey to Cork we were greeted with an empty desk and a sign saying "if you need any assistance please go next door". So we did, to the next hotel to find someone who would give us the key to our room. I have to say the staff themselves were pleasant and respectful, but possibily unaware that the situation was odd.

This "Guesthouse" describes itself as a "luxury Bed & Breakfast which has been acclaimed by the AA with 4 diamonds and commended for its modern design and luxury details." - I'm not sure whether the AA have been round to stay recently but I could not see any modern design or luxury details. Further I would strongly disagree that the rooms were of a "contemporary design" or that the furniture was "marble." This said, I wasn't particularly bothered by the lack of modernity.
I think the website also overstates the facilities as, there was the standard shower, with rather annoying fabric curtain which draws in when the water is turned on- no "jacuzzi bath" in sight. Perhaps for all the above description you'd be better off in the hotel complex just down the road (I'm not marketing for this hotel BTW).

All the room may be equipped with satellite TV/Radio, however, Ireland would appear to have only 2 channels. This was also not a major problem as I'm not one for watch TV in hotels anyway. However, WiFi would've been a nice touch.

We had a disturbed night's sleep mainly through some kind of staff party going on upstairs and various people pacing the creaking floor boards until the early hours. Rather than being able to request reception to ask for assistance (go next door) - we had to sort it out ourselves. Needless to say the noise didn't quieten down completely and carried on for a further hour.
Not well rested from the noisy night we decided to head for something warm to eat for breakfast, still believing the 4 diamonds AA award.
"Enjoy breakfast in the conservatory. The buffet table provides a selection of cereals, house muesli, fresh fruits and compote. Follow with traditional Irish Breakfast,..."
Not quite - we found out that although there was a conservatory in the guesthouse opposite the reception, breakfast was served in the other hotel next door. This would've been ok on a fine day, but Cork in September has its inclement moments. So we headed next door and entered the tired, rather smelly dining room and tried to find someone. The very courteous waitress asked if we would like the "Full Irish Breakfast" to which we both agreed was a good idea. However when it arrived there was something rather different on our plates that what we'd imagined as "Full Irish" 2 sausages, which I daren't imagine what meat or other substances were made of, bacon, beans, a sour half-cooked tomato and an egg fried in some sort of bad chinese take-away cooking oil (which incidentally was the smell of the dining room in the hotel).

My major criticism of this B&B is that the website is inaccurate; I don't understand how the AA gave 4 diamonds; the bed part was noisy and the breakfast inedible. The staff, pleasant as anything, but despite mentioning several of the issues, were blissfully unaware that this is not how to run a hotel/B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

The room was spotless and the hotel was within easy walking distance of the city centre. The owner was a lovely lady who was very accommodating.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple