“Don't believe their website”

Crawford Guest House B&B
Ranked #40 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2010

After a fairly faultless journey to Cork we were greeted with an empty desk and a sign saying "if you need any assistance please go next door". So we did, to the next hotel to find someone who would give us the key to our room. I have to say the staff themselves were pleasant and respectful, but possibily unaware that the situation was odd.

This "Guesthouse" describes itself as a "luxury Bed & Breakfast which has been acclaimed by the AA with 4 diamonds and commended for its modern design and luxury details." - I'm not sure whether the AA have been round to stay recently but I could not see any modern design or luxury details. Further I would strongly disagree that the rooms were of a "contemporary design" or that the furniture was "marble." This said, I wasn't particularly bothered by the lack of modernity.
I think the website also overstates the facilities as, there was the standard shower, with rather annoying fabric curtain which draws in when the water is turned on- no "jacuzzi bath" in sight. Perhaps for all the above description you'd be better off in the hotel complex just down the road (I'm not marketing for this hotel BTW).

All the room may be equipped with satellite TV/Radio, however, Ireland would appear to have only 2 channels. This was also not a major problem as I'm not one for watch TV in hotels anyway. However, WiFi would've been a nice touch.

We had a disturbed night's sleep mainly through some kind of staff party going on upstairs and various people pacing the creaking floor boards until the early hours. Rather than being able to request reception to ask for assistance (go next door) - we had to sort it out ourselves. Needless to say the noise didn't quieten down completely and carried on for a further hour.
Not well rested from the noisy night we decided to head for something warm to eat for breakfast, still believing the 4 diamonds AA award.
"Enjoy breakfast in the conservatory. The buffet table provides a selection of cereals, house muesli, fresh fruits and compote. Follow with traditional Irish Breakfast,..."
Not quite - we found out that although there was a conservatory in the guesthouse opposite the reception, breakfast was served in the other hotel next door. This would've been ok on a fine day, but Cork in September has its inclement moments. So we headed next door and entered the tired, rather smelly dining room and tried to find someone. The very courteous waitress asked if we would like the "Full Irish Breakfast" to which we both agreed was a good idea. However when it arrived there was something rather different on our plates that what we'd imagined as "Full Irish" 2 sausages, which I daren't imagine what meat or other substances were made of, bacon, beans, a sour half-cooked tomato and an egg fried in some sort of bad chinese take-away cooking oil (which incidentally was the smell of the dining room in the hotel).

My major criticism of this B&B is that the website is inaccurate; I don't understand how the AA gave 4 diamonds; the bed part was noisy and the breakfast inedible. The staff, pleasant as anything, but despite mentioning several of the issues, were blissfully unaware that this is not how to run a hotel/B&B.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 August 2010

The room was spotless and the hotel was within easy walking distance of the city centre. The owner was a lovely lady who was very accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leaher
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Must say the location is brilliant and I will def stay again. We has a lovely room, spacious, spotlessly clean and quiet. Got a great nights sleep which was just what we needed. We had breakfast the next morning but I have to say it is fine but not brilliant. The fruit is tinned and not fresh and the orange juice is not fresh either. I suppose what turned me off was my toast had blue mould on it. I said nothing which I guess I should have. The lady/hostess is really lovely. I really couldnt fault the bedroom. Next time I will stay but have my brekkie in the city.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed one night at the Crawford house while driving between Dublin and Killarney (and to visit Blarney), and it is a lovely B&B in a great location and easy to find and great parking. Breakfast is FANTASTIC. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated and ours and my parents rooms both had jacuzzi bath tubs! Hostess was so kind and nice and offered tips on anything you ask about in the area. Great B&B!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TimmyTourist33
Reviewed 27 November 2009

I stayed two nights in Crawford House. As I was moving to Cork city a few weeks later, my visit was to look for a place to live and to get to know the city.
I chose Crawford House because I read about the warm welcome, the friendly hostess who advised visitors on places to go, the coffee on arrival and home baked scones - I got none of the above. I paid 20-30 euro more than I would have for another guesthouse on the same street because I felt from the reviews it would be worth it.
The staff couldn't have cared less - that's if you could find a member of staff. My room was fine and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was poor and the staff were not friendly and did not understand nor speak English very well. On the second morning I ordered the pancakes - worst I've ever had, had a burnt taste, a small portion and no trimmings. Overall, I was disappointed with my stay, I had expected a warm welcome to Cork city and maybe even some advice on the area!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My cousin and I recently stayed at Crawford House on a recent trip to Cork. We were both extremely impressed with this B&B. The rooms were pleasant and very clean. The owner was incredibly helpful and extremely pleasant. The complimentary breakfast far surpasses the normal continental fare. You can choose from a variety of fresh fruit, juices and cereal or you can order a variety of items including a full irish breakfast or omelettes from the menu.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Crawford Guest House was a wonderful surprise from the moment of our arrival to our departure. We were greeted with a tray of hot tea,coffee, and sweets before being shown our accommodations. Our rooms were especially spacious, clean, with bathrooms that appeared to have recently been updated with jacuzzi baths. Everything was just right. Simple but welcoming. The location is ideal - within walking distance to the center of town and right across the street from UCC (University College Cork) campus. A walk through the campus is certainly recommended. Our morning breakfast was excellent, freshly baked items and served by pleasant staff, in a bright airy dining area. In all, even though a short stay, one overnight, we couldn't have chosen a more reasonably priced place to stay nor a more welcoming hostess. Margaret O'Leary helped us to navigate Cork and we were able to leave our car parked there while we went into town. Upon returning to pick up our car, Margaret kindly allowed us to wash off some fruit we had purchased at the market, gave us some freshly baked scones for the trip, and gave us some tips on where we were heading next. A generous hostess, a home-like atmosphere, a must stay B&B if you're in Cork!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family