Shandon Bells
Imperial Hotel(Cork)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsdeluxe double roomcork citylimited parkingbus stopthe riverbit datedcooked breakfastbed was very comfortablewould stay here againcar parkinga great staybreakfast roomuccuniversitysuitcases
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I don't normally make any comment at all about places we've stayed in and were disappointed but I feel that I must warn other travellers that this is not luxury accommodation!! We were greeted very warmly by a lady and I'm not sure whether she was the owner but my suspicion was that she was not.
At first sight the room looked quite pleasant but it wasn't long before it became obvious that there were many faults. There were no side lamps, the bathroom basin was badly cracked and hadn't been cleaned properly, the timber around the bathroom door was hanging loose with nails hanging out, the tv didn't work. We didn't find this out until later in the evening and there seemed to be nobody around to ask for assistance. The next morning we discovered a large stain on the bedskirt. I didn't think the room had been cleaned properly at all. The wallpaper was torn off in patches. All in all, it was a very disappointing stay and I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Romar45
Reviewed 9 October 2011

It's certainly not a luxurious B&B, but I certainly thought it was solid. Room was clean, breakfast was good, staff was great. No complaints at all. I'd recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelerPatch
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Wow, this place is pretty bad, carpet not cleaned, general feeling of not well kept. my room was depressing, to say the least. Tiny! Went to make a cup of tea and there was a black curly hair on the cup (pubic hair? doesn't bare thinking about). It's cheap though, €35 for single room, but wow it's pretty bad. Thank God i haven't booked breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid unless you're on a night out and need somewhere to crash.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for a funeral with my parents. Badly in need of updating. The carpet in my room was completely stained, it smelt musty and the en suite toilet leaked. The ceiling and wallpaper lookeed damp.

My parents room was in the rafters. The decor in both rooms does not reflect what is advertised on their website!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Hayale
Reviewed 17 August 2011

If you like luxury then it's not for you. This is great value for people needing place to sleep and a breakfast.
We stayed in room no.2
Beds extremely comfortable, was sleeping better than at home.
WiFi free, available 24h/day, sometimes would loose signal otherwise ok.
Had no TV in our room but couldn't care less. Hairdryer, Tea/Coffe, shower was all good. Each bed had working night lamp.
Breakfast: had Irish breakfast, 1 egg, 2 beacons, 1 small sausage, 2 pcs of pudding sausage, half of tomato. Lots of cereals to choose from, milk and orange juice, musli and yogurts. Got a nice Cafee Late, Tea also available.
Can get other things to eat just ask. I heard you could get pankakes, just need to ask in advance.
There is one table at the back, outside, the rest are inside.
Room service EXTREMELY friendly. Ask for tea/coffe or milk anytime and you will get it replenished.
Building seem old, but we didn't care as we did not intend to stay in room for long.
15 minutes walk to city center and Buseireanne station, can get anywhere from there, just buy return ticket at the machine and good to go.
www.grillish.com takeaway is at the other side of the road, they close at 1am at night, very cheap, but good food. 10" pizza was 6 euro and good, 1 cold can of diet coke was just 1 euro.

Room Tip: Room no.2 might be noisy if you sleep with window open. Hairdryer, shower, 3 lamps all good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family