“Very helpful and warm”

Achill House B&B
Achill House B&B
Ranked #38 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Allthough Achill House had no room left when we arrived at their doorstep, the very friendly landlady helped us on our way. We were desperate for a room for that night and she found us one of the only three rooms that were available in the whole of Cork City area. Not only that, she also made the reservations for us and gave us a printout before showing us how to get there. We were very grateful for her help and were even more sorry we couldn't stay in her own B&B.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had a lovely stay here in cork recently, the hostess was immediately warm and friendly. The location of the B&B is fantastic. The room was spacious, bright and comfortable. Helena was an amazing host and when we lost our car key, she stayed with us to help us find a solution and then drove us to meet our relatives at the other side of the city. When a stranger goes out of there way to help you at a time when you need it most, it puts a whole new meaning to hospitable. I can't recommend this B&B enough and thank the staff for their warm, friendly and supportive manner. oh yeah and the brekkie was yum too......

Room Tip: oops there is no swimming pool or fitness centre... i did that by accident...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Achill House was warm, welcoming and absolutely immaculate! My daughter is attending The University of Cork and this was a perfect location for my visit. I could meet her at the corner coffee shop for chai or lunch or she would stop in after class. We could walk to the town center, English market, restaurants or bus depot. Thanks to the available wifi service, I was able to skype and access my email. Helena was so helpful with recommendations for day trips, restaurants, pubs, directions and local events. She even booked a taxi to take me to the airport. I had such a great time there and felt so at home, it was hard to leave!

Room Tip: If you need wifi, don't stay on the top floor. If you like to sleep in, avoid a room directly o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Janet M
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Helena was a great hostess!! The Irish breakfast was simply superb!! I am only sad that my stay was so short and that I had to travel back to my home country to work. If I ever return to Cork for pleasure, and not for business, this will be the place I stay in. I cannot recommend it enough. Helena treats her guests as family and she was always so helpful and ready to help me solve all last minute problems I encountered, like finding a taxi that could accept credit card, etc. Her beautiful daughter brings so much joy to the place and her laughter is simply irresistibly wonderful, happiness is contagious as everyone knows. The B&B is also in a great location, very close to College Cork and within walking distance of pretty much all the sights. Helena has great walking tour guides one can use. The place is kept very clean and rooms are very comfi. Overall a magnificent experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This B & B has a perfect location when one has to do busy things at the gorgeous University of Cork which is right across the street. After a busy conference all one wants is some peace and quiet and then this place is perfect, the rooms are nice and cosy, everything is clean and Helena superfriendly. It is distinctly not a cold hotel kind of atmosphere and it feels very human and uncomplicated to be there.
Locationwise it is not a long walk into the city either, in fact nothing is very far and the airport is within 15 min reach by taxi as well. If I ever go to Cork again, I would definitely stay at the Achill House again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We want to highly recommend the first class experience we had at Achill House B&B, Cork.
Having travelled from Australia for a one month European tour of the UK, Ireland and Spain we were extremely impressed with the personal touch provided by our host Helena. The triple room we hired was very spacious and decorated to a high specification which was perfect for 3 adults. The room was fitted with a beautifully decorated en suite bathroom and in terms of service, Helena and her adorable daughter were the perfect hosts and made our stay more akin to a family visit than a B&B stopover. The breakfasts were delicious and hearty and Helena was on hand to answer any of our queries for the Cork region. A fantastic B&B experience we would recommend to all!
Kevin, Cheryl & Paul

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Achill House for two nights in August. We received a very warm welcome from the owner Helena. She was very pleasant, nothing was a bother for her and she treated us more like family than guests, which was nice. We also had the pleasure of meeting her adorable little daughter :)
We stayed in a triple room at the front of the house, which was bright and clean with tea and coffee making facilities, a tv, and was a good size with plenty of space for a double and single bed, sheets were clean and fresh. The ensuite was clean, spacious, with an excellent shower and clean towels each day. Breakfast was good with a choice of fruit, cereals, juices and cooked breakfast. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013