“Great place to stay.”

Ranked #28 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Australia
“Great place to stay.”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Stayed here for just one night and I was made to feel at home straight away. I was greeted with a cuppa and biscuits after a long drive and made to feel at home. The breakfast was great and I was allowed to leave my car parked a little longer while I looked around the city before driving on to Dubli. I would recommend theis B&B to everyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
Cork
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Having made my reservation on the phone earlier in the day I was making my way to Cork when I received a call from the Achill House B&B. The call was for my credit card details to preserve my room. Not that they were about to be fully booked. It was because someone else had withdrawn their reservation and she wanted to ensure that I didn't do the same. I refused.
Upon arrival the lady tried to up sell me a room in another building further away from the city!! Failing that she immediately asked for payment. I had arranged to stay the week. The first morning as I was leaving at 06:30 the lady shouted out the door telling me she wanted to move my belongings as there was a workman coming to fix tiles in my room. I had to agree as I was on my way to work. The remainder of the week was spent in a noisy, drafty, albeit tidy room.
Not a totally unpleasant experience but there is no way I'd recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Pete_Doherty
Zuid-Holland
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Achill House is well located near the Centre and opposite the parc. Hostess Helena makes you feel welcome without being in any way intrusive. Hotel rooms are often lacking something: the window does not close or the cupboard door doesn't stay open. Not here. Some keen observer with two right hands takes care of these rooms regularly. It is handy to be able to use internet and to get help with parking the car.
The breakfast is very good with lots of fruit available and various kinds of cooked breakfast to chose from. Cleaning in Achill House is thorough, according to the result.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I arrived in Cork after almost 20+ hrs of flying/driving (into Shannon) and I was burnt. As I arrived a bit early for check in, there was not a room for me right away, but Helena's staff didn't just have me sit in the lobby while they provided breakfast to the rest of the guests, they offered me the full breakfast as well while I waited (very tasty!).

The next 5 days were spent working of course, but coming home each night to the Achill House reminded me of my own upbringing in Boston.

My only "complaint" was the room I had was a bit "cramped". And I say "cramped" by European standards, not US. But US standards, it was a closet. But the bed was comfy. My room was on the 4th floor (number 7 or 8 if I remember).

Only a short walk to downtown Cork, the Achill House made for a great starting/ending point for any sightseeing or pub hopping. No need for a car here.

While I didn't see the bill, I heard it was more than 60% off what was being charged at the Kingsley Hotel, where I was supposed to stay originally. I would have missed such a great B&B if I had stayed at the Kingsley.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Ottawa
Reviewed 30 August 2008

After uneven experiences at other accommodations in the UK, we had an excellent one at the Achill House. Close to the centre of the city and central access to highways out of town. Four of us stayed in a comfortable room on the top floor: clean, quiet and private. Great breakfasts that filled us up so we were ready to spend an entire day walking and hiking without needing to worry about hunger pangs! Late-ish on the first night we were there, asked for directions to a coffee shop to get some hot chocolate and were instead presented with a tray with homemade hot chocolate and cookies, an unexpected treat. Gracious hostess and great supportive staff, would stay there again and recommend it to others. One slight improvement: larger TVs!

• Liked — Service, cleanliness and maintenance of the house
  • Disliked — Teeny tiny television
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 21 August 2008

The Achill House is located on Western Road, just across from the City's University (University College of Cork), and is nicely located around Fitzgerald Park. It is about a 10 minute walk from the city centre, and has the advantage of being is a fairly quiet part of the city. The facilities are good, with en suite washrooms, and the staff is helpful. I stayed for 3 nights, and enjoyed the time I had in this Bed-and-Breakfast, and enjoyed the city overall. Highly recommended to those travellers looking for a nice place to stay, in a city that's not too big, but not too small as well.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This is a good average B&B but like many in Cork City overpriced.
I booked directly by telephone and when I got to Cork at 8.30 in the morning was offered breakfast immediately. The owner was friendly and helpful although she tried to get me to take a room in an annex further from the city centre - I declined.

All in all this is only a B&B not a hotel but is charging hotel prices. You can get the more superior Lancaster Lodge across the road for less money.

On paying my bill I was charged an extra 10% which was never mentioned before - very sneaky!

You can get better value in Cork

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Extra 105 service charge
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo