“Awful, overpriced.”

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cork
“Awful, overpriced.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Attended this establishment on a date night. Booked a table in advance. When we arrived the restaurant was nearly empty, but no table had been reserved for our booking so all window tables were gone. We were handed menus at the door and told to pick a table.
Ordered food, but still deciding on drinks. Didn't see waitress again til the starter came.
Starter of fajitas was nice. However, we both ordered steak , medium. One was fine the other however was near raw in places. I wouldn't even call it rare tbh. Neither were hot.
We were offered a drink or dessert each when we complained.
I have to say it was over priced. City centre prices in suburbia. Would not recommended.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank 11mn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lago Vista, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This place is OUTSTANDING! The first floor is a bar, second floor a classy restaurant and the third floor hotel rooms. The rooms are modern decor, very clean and comfortable, and offer free wi-fi. Customer service is top-notch, and the staff very helpful and charming. Also located in a good area with plenty of activities around. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank FizzgigF
Houston
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We spent 2 wonderful nights at The East Village in June of 2014. The rooms were large, well decorated and clean. The beds were so comfy and the food downstairs was great. Every person that worked at The East Village was a treat and so friendly. Thanks for a lovely stay East Village!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank LRHocker
Kildare
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and i wanted a quiet week end in Cork in September. It was a last minute decision and we booked East Village. Having made the booking I saw some reviews saying that it was noisy. I emailed the hotel asking for a quiet room.
When we arrived we found parking right outside the door. The man at reception gave us a slip of paper giving us free parking for the week end. The entrance and reception area is a bit "tired" looking however our room was spotless and had a little balcony. The hotel is on the bus route into the city with a good service. The village of Douglas has some lovely restaurants and pubs. We ate in Bullys which was very nice.
We arranged room service for our breakfast on booth mornings of our stay. We regularly do this but this hotel is the only one I have ever stayed in that gives you a call to see if you are ready for breakfast. Breakfast was delicious on both mornings.
When we were leaving I went to pay the bill and got a lovely surprise when the guy at reception said to me that our breakfast in bed was " on the house and maybe they would see us again" I can assure you they will.
Perfect place for a city break.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the shabby entrance
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Polokildare
N.Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stay regularly in Douglas but couldn't get our usual hotel this time. We knew because the hotel bar has music at the weekend that it would be noisy and to be fair we were warned when booking so brought earplugs. It was a very hot weekend so we had to leave the balcony door wide open to cool the room while sleeping and therefore we could hear the noise. But the location was great and we did know what we were letting ourselves in for. The room was large as was the bed ( which was extremely comfortable ). The bathroom was a bit tired but all in all we were happy enough. The staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was very nice. The full Irish breakfast was freshly cooked and plentiful. We had continental breakfast one of the mornings which was very nice as well. On the Sunday night the hotel was quiet ( no music ) so if you're not going to join in stay between Sunday and Thursday or bring earplugs.

Room Tip: If staying at the weekend bring earplugs
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank N_IrelandFranco
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

Went there with my wife, brother, and mum. My rib eye steak was overcooked (I asked for medium). The brother ordered a bacon cheeseburger, it tasted like a frozen burger (supposed to be a juicy steak burger). My mum ordered Cajun Salmon - it was a very small portion covered in limp lettuce - only salad; no taste of Cajun spices. We complained and the manager was very prompt in apologising and offering replacements, free drinks and free dessert. Better steak 2nd time around. Chicken curry was average, dessert was lovely. Waitress was a bit snotty. All in all, this is a bog standard diner dressed up as a restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank bazzOn

Travellers are raving about these Cork hotels

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Myself and a few girls from work decided to eat here after a long day. The bar was very busy as the Ireland/England game was on, great atmostphere. We had a couple of drinks outside as the bar was standing room only. When we decided to eat (approx 9.30)the bar was still packed so the waitress recomended we go upstairs. As we entered the restaraunt I caught one of the severs looking at his watch and actually swearing that we arriving at this time. (last orders 10pm). The girl that served us was lovely but the former left me reeling. I work in the hotel industry and have always recomended East Village as a great eatery and bar venue, I will be slow to do so in the future. The food was lovely and the buzz was great around the place but in the future I would prefer to spend my hard earned money somewhere I am not such an inconvience.

• Stayed May 2013