“This B&B is WORSE... in person!”
Review of Mariaville House

Mariaville House
Mariaville House
Ranked #31 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Central Florida, Florida
“This B&B is WORSE... in person!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First, Barry Guilfoyle is a friendly inn keeper, very helpful on tips and advice for getting around Cork. We only stayed for one night, however, we were shocked and appalled by the over all appearance of Barry & Goretti Guilfoyle's B&B operation the moment we drove up in front of the house. I have read and interpreted all Trip Advisor reviews on Mariaville House and I've concluded that the (4) AVERAGE, (4) POOR and (4) TERRIBLE reviews are 98% accurate, true or very close to the truth about the physical condition of this B&B and it's operation. My review assessment is.... "there is simply no separation between you and the family. The guest rooms are all intermixed with the Guilfoyle family's bedrooms. (We stayed right next door to Barry's teenage daughter). You are simply renting a spare bedroom in this house as this is an economical opportunity and situation for the Guilfoyles to supplement their family income by disguising as a three star Breakfast & Bed Accommodation. It became very obvious to us that Barry & Goretti do not operate a charming traditional Irish B&B with nice amenities or modern décor, they simply have a few spare bedrooms for rent".

My findings are.... the room and carpet could do with a good ol' fashion Irish cleaning, both bed mattress were worn, dated and in need of replacing. A small TV sat on top of the tall wardrobe that was plugged into a overused power strip with many other electrical plugs. My thoughts were a "possible electrical fire situation?" The room smoke detector had the 9 volt battery disconnected and was laying on top of the bathroom door ledge. The bath room was clean, the shower head had broken parts falling off, but was serviceable. Towels were clean, however, old, worn and rough on the skin. Overall, very depressing room dull and dreary, my thoughts were "this room looks like something you rent from a 1960's eastern Soviet block country".

Around 1130pm at night, my wife asked if the door was locked, due to the heavy foot traffic coming and going in the stairway and his daughter's bedroom. I tried to lock the door with the assigned skeleton key five times, it locked from the outside, but not from inside the room, (this is not rocket science), so I used more torque strength to lock it and the skeleton key broke off! That was the final straw. It was late, we were tired, so we piled our backpacks in front of the door and went to sleep. The next morning we packed up, we didn’t even stay for breakfast and drove away as fast as we could. Barry emailed me informing us that the skeleton key was broken and a 20 euro charge would be added to our credit card. Whatever, in the end, I believe I paid for the replacement of a faulty door lock that should have be repaired or replaced long ago.

In conclusion, the Mariaville House Breakfast & Bed Accommodation falls short in all aspects as a reputable, professionally inspected and enforcement of high quality standards. I couldn't found the Mariaville House Breakfast & Bed Accommodation on the "Approved by the Irish and Northern Irish Tourist Boards" website as a approved B&B in the Cork area . Never less, the Trip Advisor reviews reflect the truth in it's headliners: “Poor excuse for a B&B...more like a room for rent, “All I can say is: Buyer Beware!!”,
“Avoid at all cost!” ...... “Disappointed”...... “TERRIBLE..”...... “Stay away its horrible”

My review is..... This B&B is WORSE in person!

Room Tip: Avoid this B&B!
4 Thank Clint A
guilfoylefs, Owner at Mariaville House, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Well it has taken you a long time to air your disappointment. If it was as bad as you say why not complain immediately and not wait three months to post such a horrid review.
You do not seem to understand the essence of an Irish B & B. We are a small family run business and the presence of our family is the very essence of this business.

Your report is exceptionally long but contains many inaccuricies and gross exaggerations.

You forgot to mention that you left without telling us about the fact that you had broken the key. Pleased be advised that you were only charged for the cost of replacing this key.

We are Bord Failte registered with a three star accreditation which is a matter of public record again you do not have your facts straight on this.

My feeling is that you were looking for linen service and you will not get this nor would one expect this in a three star B & B. This is also relected in the price you are paying.

Our rooms are clean and cosy and the guests room are completely seperate but you are correct when you state that you are living with my family. We do this as a businees not as some part time hobby to supplement income.

There is not much I can do with somebody like you who submits such a damming report but this seems to be the year for cranks and we are getting our share of them this month and you seem to be anxious to now join the club.

Well we have been in business for over 16 years so we must be doing something right,so we will continue to do the best we can for every guests that crosses our threshold and do as always, taking the good with the bad.

Cork City.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have stayed in Maria Ville House on numerous occasions over the past few years when travelling to visit friends in Cork City and i have always loved it. The location is perfect, within walking distance of the city. You are always guaranteed a warm welcome from the hosts Barry & Goretti and they always give great recommendations as to where you should go, whats on & whats worth visiting while you are in the city. The rooms are immaculate and the beds are really comfortable. The full Irish breakfast is always a highlight for me, it really sets you up for the day. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

As a regular visitor/patient to the Cork hospitals I have always been disappointed with the surrounding guesthouses. On my recent visit my wife and I decided to give the Mariaville Guesthouse a go.....we now have a "new home" to stay at when we have to visit my consultant.
Goretti & Barry were so helpful and flexible. Our room on the ground floor was perfect and very clean (important with my condition). When you travel away from home it is always nice to have
a friendly face to greet you. Highly recommended.....see you in a few months!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brendan N
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had a great stay here. Owners couldn't have been more helpful with lots of tips on where to go, eat etc. great breakfast in the morning and the room was spotless and comfortable. B&b is in a great location if you have no car, short walk into town and owner again gave me directions. Would recommend staying here.

1 Thank MCH_Travels_2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very friendly and helpful people and located within walking distance to city centre; However, ...the level of cleanliness (room & bathroom) and food hygiene (breakfast room) unfortunately fell well short of our expectations; I hope this can be dealt with.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gearoid M
guilfoylefs, Owner at Mariaville House, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Well Gearoid, you are really intent on putting the boot in. This is your second review, albeit under different names, in the last week.
We know this from your descriptions and your name. You are the guy who accused us of stealing your clothes pegs. Strange. You did later have the manners to apologise, when quizzzed if you had located them and you then admitted that you had found them in your room. I only relate this incident so that people can appreciate the small minded individual that we are dealing with here. Are you now finished with your nasty liitle reviews or can we expect more. To all you sane peolpe my advice is IGNORE. We, however will continue to do our best for all that cross our treshold.

Cork City.
Banstead
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The room was cramped and filthy - with a view of nice flower pots but a dilapidated fence; general shabby condition and disgusting state of the butter at breakfast showed minimal effort and gave little confidence in overall hygiene - couldn't wait to leave. Hostess was very obliging though. "Deluxe" (as stated in the confirmation) - it certainly was not !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sobb2014
guilfoylefs, Owner at Mariaville House, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Your comments are completely unfounded and a gross exaggeration. If you had these problems why did you not voice them at the time.
However, such is the nature of this review tool, that you are free to sneak away and then write anything that you like.
To any intended guests that may read this review and get the wrong impression, all I say is look at other reviews and come and see for yourself.

We look forward to seeing you all this summer.

Cork City
Nantes, France
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had a fantastic time in Mariaville House !

The breakfast is perfect, the rooms are very nice and special thanks to Barry who gave us so many precious advices about the city.

The b&b is not far from the city (20min by walk) and the street is really calm.