“Without doubt the best place to have lunch in Cork.”

Crawford Gallery Cafe
Ranked #123 of 680 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I adore this restaurant and intended to review a long time ago but a part of me doesn't want it to get overly popular. Already on a Saturday there is a queue outside the door waiting to be seated. But that doesn't stop me returning at least once a month.

The food served in the Gallery is not fussy or overly dressed up but is simple, wholesome and lovingly prepared and presented. My mouth is watering just remembering the last meal I had there, which was black eyed bean stew served with Basmatti rice and a yoghurt Raita on the side, followed by tea and shortcake buscuits.

The decor, like the food is simple and elegant and the atmosphere is vibrant, with the sound of lunchtime chats reverberating off the high ceilings and wooden floors.

The pricing is very reasonable for the quality of food offered in my opinion, with the average main course costing €13 on average.

The service is flawless also. As I mentioned, this is a very popular spot and often used by local workers on their lunch break so service is suitably snappy but still retains a local traditional friendliness.

My only complaint is that the gallery doesn't serve food in the evening. Every time I eat out at night in Cork, I end up comparing the food to The Gallery's offerings and generally it pales in comparison.

You will not find anywhere more pleasant in which to have lunch in Cork.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

I have lunch here maybe 3-4 times a year when my mother visits Cork. The service is just great, nothing is a problem, lots of smiles etc. We had soup and salad for a starter with lovely brown bread, simple top quality food. For mains we had fish cakes with salad and shepherds pie, both were beautiful. I think the Crawford cafe and the farmgate really set the standard for a nice "treat" lunch in Cork city. We finished off with two strong coffees and regretably I went back to work........................

Reviewed 1 December 2011

I love this place! I had lunch here last week with a friend. I had a mezze with lovely salad, the everything was lovely and fresh. I had a glass of homemade lemonade with it. I finished my meal with a slice of delicious chocolate cake washed down with a peppermint tea ( made with fresh mint).
The service is always good, the staff know all about the dishes. They always have a friendly word and smile. Unfortunately it is not open at night!

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Visited on a busy Saturday lunchtime. Service and food were very good. Lovely venue and atmosphere. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

€11.80 for a full Irish breakfast is crazy! Yes, i know the menu says ... Free range this and local that ... But come on!

The place is nice and quaint but if you look deeper you discover where the proceeds from the over-priced menu are going. Apple Mac behind the service area and you can even hear snippets of Irish when customers are being served by what looked like the manager / owner. Not in a lovely country Gaeltacht way but in a more Trinity or UCC brigade way.

Yes the breakfast was nice with fancy toast. Service was nice too despite my earlier outburst. Offered refill on tea (i bet that was included in the inflated prices)

So ... If you ever go on a date with a lady studying Politics or philosophy ... This is the venue for pre-date nibbles.
*******If you are a normal guy or girl from Cork .... Avoid this pretentious little expensive cafe. Leave this place to the tourists who have trouble converting the high Euro prices into dollars or Pounds.

Lower your prices is my advice unless the high prices are attracting a certain type of diner you want.

1  Thank Poitiers