“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cork
County Donegal, Ireland
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Had a lovely stay in the Kingsley recently.

We booked a king size room, which I'd highly recommend! The room was clean and very spacious, the bathroom was among the nicest I've seen! Air con was a great help.

Two very minor areas for improvement we felt was firstly the service (both reception who didn't follow upon queries or answer phone and pace of waiting staff) and secondly price of the food in the restaurant didn't reflect what you got. Also on our first morning nobody explained the breakfast routine to us, so we didn't realise that the cereal and pastries were in a different area and there was confusion around tea,coffee and toast which meant we usually didn't get it until after we finished our fry.

The pool is lovely and very clean.

It's a great base for exploring. The price we got including breakfast was very competitive compared to other hotels in the area that didn't include breakfast. (This is what swayed me to stay!)
I'd definitely recommend it and stay again.

Room Tip: Book a king size room if possible,very spacious!
1 Thank bluelillydee
Fergal H, General Manager at The Kingsley, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Bluelillydee,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us and for choosing to stay at The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, in particular our pool and bedroom facilities. I must apologise for your experience at breakfast; we have recently made some revisions to our menu and service systems that I strongly feel have improved the experience for our guests.
It is great to hear that you will be recommending us and I will be sure to inform the team of your wonderful comments.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you to The Kingsley again.

Fergal Harte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Cork , Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was excited to hear the Kingsley was opening back up this summer after a long few years closure. The Kingsley was always a welcomed spot for Sunday lunch or afternoon tea previously so its a breath of fresh air to have the hotel open again.

*First Visit*

We decided to head out as a family on Sunday for lunch with my parents, partner and 2 sons (one a newborn and 15 month old.)

We were waiting over 50 minutes for our meals to be brought out to us in what I wouldn't be able to call a busy service. The staff seemed less than interested in what was going on, more of the younger staff who I think may only be there for the summer. One of the waitresses we seen leaning on the counter in the kitchen, yawning and looking at her watch.

What got to us most, is we asked for a baby bowl and was asked by our server, would we like it before our meal so that we could settle the 15 month old, we agreed.. but the baby bowl took 40 minutes to come out, and after this stage the little guy was getting a little agitated.

We weren't asked at all throughout the meal was everything okay, not one member of the staff approached us to ask if we needed anything else.

The (whom I can only assume) manager who was in a suit, was more than helpful and friendly and he came over and chatted to us about his family, and his son who is the same age as our own. A very genuine and nice guy, and is a credit to the hotel! Please pass my regards to this gentleman.

Now, I'm not at all writing a bad review as I'm giving 5 stars for both the friendliness of the manager and the quality of the food and the state of the hotel. The hotel has been renovated to a very high standard, and I must say is looking very very nice. Well done to all involved here in the renovation process!

*Second Visit*

On our second visit to the restaurant for Sunday dinner, it was only myself, my partner and two infant son's. We were seated extremely quickly, and given a choice of where we would like to sit. The waiting staff on this occassion were more than helpful, and service was extremely quick. I'm delighted to see such a vast improvement, in only two weeks!

I think the hotel here has massive potential and the restaurant is living up to the standards of the former 5 Star Hotel, The Kingsley. Well done guys!

The food, was literally to die for. It was absolutely amazing, probably one of the nicest meals we have had out in a long time. Hats off to the culinary team who can be seen working hard through the glass in the restaurant.

I was disappointed first time around in the waiting staff in the restaurant on the day, but teething problems are going to happen, and after our return visit my views have completely turned around! The staff on the second visit couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and offered a very prompt a speedy service! Well done!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patrick O
Fergal H, General Manager at The Kingsley, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed and thoughtful feedback with us on your recent visits to The Kingsley.

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience and that you felt such a positive improvement from your initial visit. We truly appreciate your comments as all of the team here have been working very hard to overcome some of the teething issues we faced upon re-opening. We have implemented staff training programmes across all areas and I am confident our service is improving daily as a result of these measures. I will be passing along your kind comments to all our staff and our food and beverage team in particular.

Once again, many thanks for getting in touch and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsley in the future.

Lakeside, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel has newly opened its doors after being flooded some years ago. It is located on the River Lee in Cork. There is a wonderful walking area just outside the hotel next to the river. The reception area and restaurant are absolutely beautiful. And the rooms are stunning. The décor is old Victorian style. The staff are friendly. Parking is free and there are plenty of spaces on site to park. The buffet breakfast was good.

2 Thank Laura B
Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us and for choosing The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork.

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We truly appreciate your comments and I will pass along your kind words to all our staff. We strive to deliver excellence in service to all our guests and I am pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Once again, many thanks for getting in touch and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsley should you return to Cork in the future.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The best parts of this newly re-opened hotel are the decor, the staff, the spa facilities, the pool and the bedrooms. It is in an ideal location for those visiting Cork city. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the springboard restaurant was lovely. The bedroom was spotlessly clean, the bathroom is lovely and the beds are really comfortable. The addition of a tiny 'hall' when you open the door ensures that the sounds in the corridor are kept to a minimum.
The not so good bits are
:the outdoor hot tub which was fab when the previous owners had this hotel, has not worked since the new management took earlier this month
:the selection of food for breakfast was poor and there was no menu available with pancakes etc on it.
Overall this hotel is lovely but it could be even nicer

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank irishtraveller74
Dear IrishTraveller74,

Many thanks for choosing to stay at The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork, and for taking the time to write this review.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and, in particular, I greatly appreciated your kind comments about The Spa, Health Club, staff and decor.

The use of the outdoor hot tub has unfortunately been delayed as we await the necessary repair work to be completed. We agree that it is a unique facility, which was extremely popular before the hotel closed in 2009. We plan to have it back in service very soon and I apologise for your disappointment in this regard. We have recently made some revisions to our breakfast menu to include more menu choices and I am confident that this has greatly improved the experience for our guests.

Once again, many thanks for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsley very soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

As previous reviewer wrote, this hotel is exceptional in almost everything except for the breakfast which I think is poor. I struggle to see how a supposed 5* gets away with such a poor selection, over cooked buffet. Eggs that were cooked before sunrise etc. I would come back here as it's the nicest I stayed in cork so far but I'll skip breakfast.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Louth L
Dear David,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and for choosing The Kingsley for your recent stay in Cork.

I was delighted to hear that you found your stay to be overall very enjoyable. Your kind words about the hotel are very much appreciated. I was disappointed to hear your experience at breakfast was below the standard The Kingsley would hope to deliver. We have recently made some revisions to our breakfast menu and we feel this has greatly improved the experience for all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back and would encourage you to try the breakfast again so that we can show you the improvements made in this area.

tipperary ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Kingsley this week. The offer of 99 euro was the attraction plus the fact that we had such a wonderful experience staying in it's sister hotel in Fota. On arrival we were greeted warmly .Parking was a bit chaotic . Could have done with stewarding. It was around lunch time and the place was very busy and a good atmosphere. Our room was lovely. Everything worked. We had a late lunch and dinner in the Bistro. Waitress was charming and food was very good. Lovely view overlooking the River Lee. Their system of recording food being added to overall bill seemed a bit haphazard( more of that later). Swimming pool area was very nice. Our big big disappointment was the breakfast. This is a hotel potentially 5 star operating as a 4 star. The standard of breakfast was very very poor. Range of food was surprisingly small . Hot buffet was placed too close to fruit section so access to either was difficult. We were not informed that there were other choices apart from hot buffet. For cereal there was no loose sugar ,again had to be requested. I ordered poached egg which arrived without any accompanying toast or bread. By the time these arrived eggs were cold. No natural yogurt available for fruit. No sign of any bread not to mention having a choice. A lot of waiters/waitresses but no great overall plan. On receiving our bill at check out we observed and informed staff that we were undercharged. Bistro the night before had not charged up for our meal. Having said all of the above we would return again and hopefully the difficulties will be ironed out. Location is very good.

2 Thank fionnuala_7
Dear Fionnuala,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review and for choosing The Kingsley for your recent stay in Cork.

I was delighted to hear that you found your room and dining experience in our restaurant, The Springboard, to be so pleasant. I was delighted to be able to pass your kind comments to our food and beverage team.

I was equally disappointed however to learn of your experience at breakfast. I accept that the breakfast product provided in the period after we reopened the hotel was somewhat limited. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. We have recently revised our breakfast service standards and range of options available. I can assure you that the experience for our guests has greatly improved as a result.

Thanks again for your feedback, both positive and negative. As you mentioned at the end of your review, I hope you will decide to return so that we can show you the service improvements we’ve been making and thereby rectify any negative impression left by your initial visit.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Myself and my wife are just back from a weekend in the newly opened Kingsley in Cork. Lovely room, beautiful food and lovely staff. Phone not working in room, but otherwise a great stay. Highly recommended .

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view
2 Thank John R
Dear John,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review of your recent stay at The Kingsley.

I was delighted to hear you and your wife enjoyed your visit. Thanks also for letting us know about the phone in your room. This has now been fixed by our maintenance team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsley.