“5 star room. 3/4 star service AT TIMES”
Review of The Kingsley

The Kingsley
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Mayo
“5 star room. 3/4 star service AT TIMES”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We booked a Classic King room as a couple and found it to be modern, spacious and comfortable. The bed was perfect and the room came with a new TV, air conditioning, and plenty of storage. Hairdryer, press, iron and board, coffee and tea were all included. We had a large bathroom with 2 showers and all toiletries, towels etc were replaced daily.

Breakfast was faultless: A full fried breakfast was available, a choice of juices, tea and coffee, breads, cereals, and a cold buffet. Toast, fried eggs, pancakes etc were also easily available on request and the dining room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Plenty of tables available and no waiting involved.

Dinner could have been better. Although the food and drink were excellent, the service was lacking at times and staff were often slow to offer assistance.

The health club and swimming pool (which are included with the price!) are fairly good. The gym, while not particularly big, seems to have a small membership so machines and weights are always available. The pool is small, but again it wasn't particularly busy so this wasn't a problem. Excellent sauna, steam room and jacuzzi at pool-side.

Complaints- The bathroom door(s) in our room didn't close, so the bathroom had to be used with the door ajar.
When the shower was used, a stream of water always made it's way out, across the bathroom floor and flooded a small area of carpet just outside the bathroom door (in the bedroom).
The room's safe couldn't be turned on, and so obviously couldn't be used to store valuables.
The DVD player worked, but the TV didn't seem to have an Av function and so wasn't particularly easy to use.
While the health club was good, there was no water or other drinks on sale and while guests "must wear flip flops" by the swimming pool, no flip flops or other swimming gear could be bought in the hotel.

MOST IMPORTANTLY- We stayed for 3 nights, and on the evening of our 3rd night decided to stay for an extra night as we had enjoyed it so much. When we asked to book a 4th night we were told there weren't any rooms available for the next night.....Yet 10 minutes later we were able to book the same room online through the hotel's website, and the website said there were 5 of this same room available. Still not sure whether we were lied to for some reason, or just misinformed.

Some excellent staff here; The Springboard restaurant manager, the breakfast waiters, Fishers bar staff and particularly one gentleman from Dublin who we bumped into a few times and who's main role seemed to be ensuring that as guests we were well looked after, had everything we needed and knew where everything was and what was available. Brilliant service from this member of staff

Overall a good stay with some mishaps

1 Thank BarbielovesIndia
Fergal H, General Manager at The Kingsley, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear BarbielovesIndia,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing to stay at The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork.

I would like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel, your bedroom, our breakfast selection and some of our staff members. The whole team here is working very hard to ensure all our guests enjoy their experience and it is a great boost to our morale to hear that many of them left such a positive impression on you.

I will inform our Health Club Manager of your suggestions in relation to increasing the amenities we have on offer to our guests. I apologise for the TV and safe in your room not being in working order. I appreciate how annoying this must have been for you. I was disappointed to hear that you received false information when attempting to book in for a fourth night. This was a technical error on our part and I can assure you it is not a common occurrence. I have investigated the matter and spoken to the relevant members of staff to ensure that this does not happen again.

Once again, many thanks for getting in touch with such detailed feedback. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit to Cork despite these inconveniences and I would be delighted to personally welcome you back to The Kingsley should you visit again in the future.

Fergal Harte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Co.Kerry
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just stayed the one night in mid August.
Lovely big room and bathroom.
Very nice,good value meal in a busy bistro.
Lovely lounge area to relax in after dinner with waiter service.
Breakfast terrible - cereal and pastry selection in a cramped corner area - Hot buffet items either overcooked [sausages and rashers] or undercooked [the most horrible looking scrambled eggs I've ever seen] - Tea and coffee from burco boilers to be filled by yourself -Lots of waiting staff but all they seem to do is offer toast - No additional menu to choose any of the usual things you would except from a hotel claiming to be 5 star.
Might return but will probably leave it a few months in the hope that these problems will be sorted out as soon as they find their feet.

1 Thank Hotwhiskey
Dear Hotwhiskey,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us and for choosing The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork.

I was disappointed to hear that certain aspects of your visit did not live up to the standards we hope to deliver to all our guests at The Kingsley. We have recently revised and improved our breakfast menu. New service structures and training programs have also been implemented with our staff in tandem with these changes. I am confident that these initiatives have significantly enhanced our guests’ experiences at breakfast.

I should clarify that The Kingsley is a four star hotel. We want to instil a five-star mentality in terms of the quality of cuisine, facilities and service standards however.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsley in the coming months.

Newbridge, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and thought it was a lovely hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated and the bed extremely comfortable. Breakfast was delicious with lots of choice and we relaxed with our coffee in the library afterwards. All in all a very enjoyable short stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lyra74
Dear Iyra74,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review and for choosing The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork.
It was a pleasure to read your lovely comments about our hotel and staff. I am delighted to hear we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your visit overall.
I sincerely hope you will consider visiting us at The Kingsley again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just back from a stay we found the room very comfortable clean and large.The staff were all all irish and very friendly.The food was great, i would be very happy to return again to this little gem.I would totally recommend this hotel as a place to enjoy your stay in cork.

Room Tip: pick a room with a river view
4 Thank Billy o
Dear Billy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on your recent visit to The Kingsley.
I was delighted to hear we succeeded in meeting your expectations during your stay. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and it is wonderful to hear that you would recommend The Kingsley.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We chose this hotel as it had been recommended to us. My wife and I don’t get too many chances to get away together because of work commitments, so when we do go away we want something special. We found it at the Kingsley Hotel. When we arrived we were greeted by a concierge (I think his name is Vincent) Friendly, helpful and informative. The reception area was pleasantly different from others and was well staffed. We were welcomed and checked in by a very friendly and again helpful member of staff Bronwyn,( sorry if I have the wrong spelling). The rooms were beautiful, clean, spacious, airy and bright. They had everything you require and more. Our room overlooked the river with the fish jumping all day long and the sound of running water it certainly kept us very relaxed. The bed was large and very comfortable. Breakfast time eased us into the day I went for the full Irish and my wife had porridge and pancakes which were both freshly made for her. The staff were brilliant, we never had to ask for anything it was all laid out for us. We enjoyed afternoon tea on one day, something I wouldn’t normally do, but I must say it was very relaxing. We both booked treatments in the spa which is very professionally run. We enjoyed the thermal suite before treatments. Try the tropical rain shower or the ice cold mist shower if you want a refreshing experience. Dinner was served in the bistro, which was well laid out. The manageress greeted us with a big smile and showed us to our table. The food was absolutely beautiful and very nicely presented. The young ladies ( Jess and Muiren) who looked after us during dinner made sure we had all we needed. They were fast, friendly and very efficient. After dinner it was to the bar for a few pints. Ciaran and his sidekick Ronan made sure we totally relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. If you need to know where to go or information about the area then Ciaran is the one to ask. All the staff were really pleasant and friendly and went out of their way to help in any way they could. Well done to all at the Kingsley and thank you we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
5 Thank John H
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive and detailed review and for choosing The Kingsley on your recent visit to Cork.
It was my pleasure to read your wonderful comments on our hotel, in particular you feedback on individual staff members was very much appreciated. I will be sure to inform the team here of your comments as we strive to make all our guests feel welcome and it is lovely to hear we have succeeded in your case.
I sincerely hope you will consider visiting us at The Kingsley again in the future as it would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed here this week and I really enjoyed my stay. My room was spotless and staff were excellent. Breakfast was amazing. I was a bit out off with bar prices, especially for soft drinks and water. Yes there are some minor things that I thought could be better, but the whole place and experience make up for those. I can't believe it's currently on 3.5 stars on tripadvisor, def more of a 4.5 or even 5! I'll def be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah K
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing to stay with us at The Kingsley.

I was delighted to read your kind comments regarding your stay. Your feedback on our staff and bedroom facilities are very much appreciated. We have been working hard to deliver high standards of customer service to all our guests. It will be my pleasure to pass on your comments in this regard to the rest of the team here.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to The Kingsley on your next visit to Cork.

cork city ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Absolutely lovely building having recently re opened after a long closure due to the 2009 floods in Cork.
Lovely coffee, Great friendly service, Highly recommendable for a nice place to meet and chat with beautiful views on to the river lee

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kenrickfamily
Dear Kenrickfamily,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share such positive feedback with us.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to The Kingsley. Your kind comments about our staff and service are very much appreciated. The genuine goodwill we have received since re-opening has been a pleasure for me and the staff to deal with.
It is great to hear that you would recommend The Kingsley. I will be sure to inform the team of your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family to The Kingsley again.