“Candlelight with the Stars and Catch Up with Pals”

The Central Hotel - Donegal
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
“Candlelight with the Stars and Catch Up with Pals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

A group of us recently stayed in the Central Hotel and attended their sensational show Candlenight with the Stars. We had a gorgeous five course dinner and replete sat back to enjoy the show. We enjoyed the entertainment which included the marvellous Fiddler Adams but the star of the show had to be 83yrs old waitress and ambassador Sheila Patton who charmed us all with her boundless energy and friendly cheer and superb dancing skills. We had a lovely stay in the Central and would recommend this package to anyone

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have stayed in the Central on numerous occasions and yet again we had an excellent experience. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms we had at the back afforded a magnificent view of the river and inner bay, they were clean and quite big enough for us. Even though there was a big concert on in the hotel on one of the nights we weren't disturbed at all. I see some people complaining about the breakfasts being 'canteen queue style' is that not what most hotels are now? We found the breakfasts were very good. Didn't get the chance to try out the hotel's own restaurant, hopefully next time as I will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Banbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Well located hotel but tired and dated. Breakfast is canteen queue style with mostly fried food, staff are very friendly and helpful. Room 169 - bath filled up when showering and after 30 minutes 8cm still not drained away. Mahogany style MDF toilet seat is rotting underneath at the front - looks alive and scary. Frankly maintenance alone would transform this place. Rooms not very sound proofed from adjacent rooms and outside.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UbiqQ10
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We where situated at the back of the hotel, right outside was a fan, due to this we where unable to sleep. Would advise anyone to ask for front bedroom. This is not a hotel for a young couple as live music on Saturday nights had a majority off older couples. Rooms very clean and lovely location. Do not no if I would go back to stay here due to the lack off sleep on our night here.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Fox2910
Stadtbredimus, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

First a special thank you for housekeeping/laundry lady person who was kind enough and managed to dry out my soaked motorbike gear after a rainy day driving through beautiful landscapes of Donegal county. Good location of hotel in terms of town and surroundings. Breakfast could not be more filling - no need for lunches!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rokki1597
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on my tour around the west of Ireland. I had already booked the hotel before I had read some of the reviews on here and was a bit worried.
Before I arrived I emailed to ask about the car park, where it was, how to get the free parking etc. and got a response within 10 minutes. When you check in, they will give you a ticket to put on your windscreen to park very close by.
The first night I was put in room 69, and I think this room has been mentioned in other reviews before. The extractor fans from the kitchen are right outside, and even with the windows closed, it was really noisy - sort of like a plane immediately before take off. I went down to reception to ask if I could be moved, but was told there was no other rooms available that night, but that they would move me the following morning. They said that the fans would stop when the kitchens closed that night (I think about 9.30 pm), but that they would come back on in the morning. They came back on at 6.15 am, and I'm not a morning person!
The next morning, I packed my bags and the housekeepers moved everything for me. The second room I was in had a fantastic view of the bay, and was a really good size. And no noise!
The breakfast I thought was very good, you had the usual cereals, fruit, yogurts, tea / coffee / herbal teas, as well as the fried options, and very decent portion sizes. The breakfast room was quite busy in the mornings, but the staff were well able to cope with it.
I didn't eat any meals in the hotel, just had desert one night, which was quite nice. The bar was very nice, the staff very friendly, and remembered my drink the following night! There was live music here one of the nights I stayed, and the dinner show was also on. I didn't go to it, but talking to some of the other hotel guests the following morning it seems to have been enjoyed by all.
The location in the Diamond in Donegal is very central, and Donegal is a small enough town that you can walk around it, and it also serves as a very good base to explore the surrounding area.
If I hadn't been put in the first noisy room, I think I have enjoyed the stay a little more, but all in all, it was a nice place to stay.
One drawback, to get to the rooms, you had to go down a small flight of stairs - very awkward with a suitcase, and I saw some of the older guests having a little trouble with this. There is a lift to the rooms at the end of the corridor, and I'm sure if you asked for help with your bags it wouldn't be a problem.

Room Tip: Try to request a room away from the extractor fans in the kitchens, and if possible (I'm sure th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

The room was clean and had everything you need, nothing to complain about. Its in a good location with parking. Its actually a recall nice place to visit. The bar downstairs is great, the food is good and priced reasonably. We had a great night here with a great slo artist who was very entertaining. The star are friendly and the service was great. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,940 reviews
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!