“Out of date hotel”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Out of date hotel”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Old fashioned hotel with keys to rooms, and rabbit warren layout. Food in restaurant was good, with pleasant and efficient staff. However, rooms were cold, and I found my room tv on inexplicably, and smell of cigarettes in room at 7pm after dining.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MadDocNI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Staff here are the best asset of this hotel. We had a delicious Sunday lunch in the restaurant and although we had to wait to book, the waiter and waitresses were fantastic - friendly, hard working and professional. Similarly we had a lovely night in the bar. It has a lovely atmosphere and the 2 piece band provided easy listening and were most enjoyable. The swimming pool was a treat for the children. While the hotel bedrooms are quite dated, we will definitely visit again due to the warmth of the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Judith O
derry city
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We spent a pleasant weekend at the hotel. The staff were very friendly, the accomodation was functional, the room was clean, pleasant and warm. Old style clunky keys and a lack of flat screen tv in the room left you with a feeling of the hotel or parts of it being a bit dated. The bar was pleasant and the bar food was acceptable rather than fantastic. But the price of our stay was i would say good value. The friendliness of the staff, the great location of the hotel and of course the beautiful scenic Donegal at your beckon call will ensure that we would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank derrycityleedsman
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed at The Central Hotel, Donegal on my first trip to Ireland. Had a wonderful time and met some very nice people. Every one we came across in Ireland were so helpful and friendly. The hotel was lovely and the room we had very large. Was a coach trip I took with my friend travelling with GB Tours and they also cannot be faulted. Mark our driver was always on hand and made the trip extra interesting. Giving a good commentary throughout, excellent driving and never giving any hassle, always friendly and attentive. Was a marvellous trip, I know I was tired with all the travelling goodness only knows how Mark must have felt. The show put on at the hotel was first class as was the food throughout. Staff all very nice and friendly. Was my first trip but hopefully not my last. Well done to all concerned.....and the ferry crossing calm both times....a worry that not being a good sailor, but had no problems what-so--ever. Took the water bus trip around Donegal Bay, that also should not be missed. Our final day before the ferry home was spent in Dublin. More than a day required there, something for another time. The open top get on get off bus, gave an insight of the many things to do and see in Dublin.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pam613
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

one of the best hotels we have stayed in, from the minute we walked in we were made to feel welcome, and the homely yet grand feel of the public areas made us feel so comfortable. the pool area and jacuzzi are amazing, (one of the male lifeguards actually came over to turn the bubbles on for me when I got in the jacuzzi!). The view from our room was second to none (room 167) with a view over the bay. The room was spotless and comfortable - maybe could do with a new carpet though :-) we didn't eat at the hotel but everything looked tempting, location couldn't have been better, I genuinely loved this hotel!

oh and to the receptionist who was wearing stockings, my boyfriend really appreciated that!

Room Tip: ask for a bay view of course
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My mum and I stayed here in June, for three nights, and we had a wonderful time! The welcome was so warm and the staff were very friendly and helpful. As for the evening entertainment - it was absolutely amazing!!! We were able to take in "A Slice of Ireland" on the Monday night, and our hands and throats were positively raw by the end, from all the clapping, singing and cheering!!! Wonderful!!! The hotel is situated, very prettily, right on The Diamond, and we spent a lovely time wandering about this beautiful town. We also took in a ferry-ride around the Donegal Harbour, which was just a short walk away and well worth the money!! We took home such lovely memories of our stay - tons of pictures and film! I'd definitely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was a guest at the Central Hotel, and went to the Slice of Ireland Show on Monday September 23, 2013. This is the 3rd year in a row that I have stayed in Donegal Town to see Slice of Ireland, and all three times the show has been incredible. To prove how much I like the Slice of Ireland show I rode on a bus starting at 8:00 am in Cahersiveen, Co. Kerry to reach Donegal Town around 6:30 pm so I could see the show. The music and dancing is wonderful. A small disappointment for me is that Mary from Dungloe was not sung because it is one of my favorite songs, but maybe next year. The food before the show (Irish Stew), and breakfast in the morning was wonderful. The hotel is very clean. The bus stops right in front of the hotel. There is even a wonderful water bus cruise with wonderful music just steps from the hotel. The is a great pub just steps from the hotel called the Fiddler's Reel which has awesome Irish Music every night of the week. I have been to many Irish Music/Dance shows all over Ireland (Donegal, Killarney, Galway, and Dublin), and this is the best value at 12 euros for the show, and 24 euros for show and dinner. The four year old playing the fiddle is just too cute. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!