“Not up to stantard”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not up to stantard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights we booked a Deluxe double with a view. First room we where given had twin beds and no view after complaining we where moved to a worse room! very small and drab right outside the window was a pump the came on at 5.30am every morning.Was told no other rooms avaible. Ask for Iron and irorning board and was told to use the one on the wall outside room ! No Lattie was avaible at 10.30 because the machine was not switched on. Met with manger Megan and was promised a reduced rate and an up grade on next stay.Nice girl but never got reduced rate my wife was just so tired of the hassle and said forget lets go home. I could go on but no point. Will finish by saying most of the staff where friendly and the food was good

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph C
centralhotel11, Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Joseph
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as in this way we can address the issues you highlighted. From speaking with you myself i am already aware of the issues you experienced and once again can i send you & your wife my sincerest apologies for the mix up with your room. As i had mentioned to you after my investigation into the issue one of our trainee receptionist mixed up the rooms types & assigned you what he thought was a Bay view room. Please rest assure that the receptionist has undergone further training & is now fully aware of the correct room types & that iron are of course able to be delivered to rooms. I've spoken to our Dining staff who assure me the the coffee machine not being switched on was a once off and an error on their part which will not happen again .
With regards to your upgrade as promised is available for you on your next stay with us, as far as i am aware the deduction on rate was grated but if you did not receive the correct rate i am available for you to contact at your earliest opportunity on 0749721027.

I appreciate your kind words regarding my staff, all the staff at the central have such a great attitude towards our guests , i feel very blessed to have such a great team . I will pass your food compliments to our head chef he always looks forward to hearing praise from our guests.

I hope you will accept our apologies for the shortcomings you experienced on this occasion. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can assist in any way to restore your faith in The Central Hotel.

Megan & All The Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

After staying at the Trim castle hotel the night before we thought that all the hotels on route were going to be ok. Sadly the central hotel in Donegal was very poor, it was very drab & really needs a full refurb, our first room was over the kitchen which smelt of dirty fat and the sound of the fans from the kitchen were very noisy. We did swap rooms (as we were there for 4 days) but again of very poor standard (to be fare it was only 3 star which is something we do not usually do). The food, chicken, Salmon, Pork & only bland veg. Would not stay again. now moving to the Regent airport hotel in Dublin

Room Tip: not certain I can answer this
3 Thank Neil T
Dear Neil
We are genuinely saddened and disheartened that you were not happy with your experience at The Central. On behalf of Myself and my Team, may I extend our most sincere apologies. I Agree that some of our rooms are in needs of refurbishment & we are currently in the process of updating them however with 113 bedrooms in our hotel this does take some time.
I can only assume that due to the volume of guests we had staying that you where assigned a room that is still awaiting refurbishment.
With regards to your comment regarding the food, yes all groups are on a set menu which is a meat dish, a fish & vegetarian option which usually caters for the majority of travels needs. However if you did not find something suitable our staff would of happily offered you an alternative, i have investigated the situation with my dining manager who is confident that no complaints where made by your group on the nights you dined with us . I assure you that if you had approached a member of staff about your food concerns the matter would have been dealt with immediately. I will take your comments on board and insure in future guests are aware their are other alternative if the menu isn't suitable.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can assist in any way to restore your faith in The Central.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of our time in Beautiful Ireland

Megan & All the Team
Carlow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights checked out today.. Hotel is nice and clean... Entertainment... And very central in Donegal town... Staff for plesant....A few down sides room was unbelievably stuffy and warm unusual for Ireland might be a good thing in the winter though!!!but me and my friend dreaded going back to the room due to the heat we felt we couldn't breath in it there was only a tiny window we were on the 3rd level, could do with some Aircon!!! another downside was the walk to the room from reception felt like we were walking for miles not good if your elderly!!! Overall I would recommend this hotel to a friend apart from the heat of room!!!!....

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Joanne
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and appciate all feedback from our customers, Thank you for your kind comments about our Central location, Good entertainment & pleasant staff.

Im sorry to hear your room was very warm, a lot of the rooms over Looking Donegal's beautiful bay can become increasingly warm when we are blessed to see an irish sunny day. The month of June especially has been like an indian summer & as were are not accustomed to this weather we don't have air conditioning in the rooms. I appreciate your comment about our rooms being a long walk to reception and please be assured that any elderly guests do get priory for rooms closer to our front desk and amenities .

We look forward to welcoming you or your friends to The Central in the near Future

Florianopolis, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My friend and I had reserved 2 single rooms for one night. One of them was half the size of mine. In fact there were 2 single beds awkwardly installed with too little space to pass. My friend tripped over one of the beds. I think it was room number 426. Even though we had asked for quite rooms there was a constant loud noise coming from the outside airco installation. In any case, the only male receptionist in this quaint hotel was too stressed to be approached for a room change. They have free space at an outside parking lot at about 200 yards from the hotel.

Dinner was surprisingly good whilst we watched football from Brazil The breakfast buffet looked ok, however, the scrambled eggs were not as good as in most other hotels on our tour.

Room Tip: ask for a quite room away from the outside airco installation
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Megan W, Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you For taking the time to write your review, myself and all the team always appreciate feedback.
I'm genuinely disappointed to hear the issues you encountered. please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that these short-comings do not reflect our usual high standards and these problems are being rectified. The majority of our rooms have been renovated this year and we plan to continue this upgrade onto next year to insure all our rooms are up to the same high standard level.

I'm sorry to hear you felt you couldn't approach our receptionist when you were unhappy with the room , He certainly would have done his best to move you to a more appreciate room.

I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our Food, Our head chef always produces such wonderful food that it will be a pleasure to pass along your compliments .

We hope to welcome you back to The Central In The Near Future

solihull,england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

stopped two nights with coach party,entering our room it reeked of smoke even a couple going past commented on the smell of smoke .went to reception and they sent a porter with a scented candle to burn,we did but did not take the smell away.view from the room was lovely.
access to the upper bar was difficult for anybody with a disability as there was no direct lift to it ,had to go to another floor and then negotiate stairs also stairs to use toilets in the bar.
only had a meal on the first evening which was average,breakfast again average,meals had to be taken in the massive ballroom there was only twenty in our party.
did not have a meal on the second night as we had been out all day and returning to our room with shopping bags etc we were ordered into the ballroom for our evening meal by a very surly member of staff as we really needed to at least have a wash and change of clothes we said we would not and went out for something to eat when we were ready.sorry but we would not return to this hotel.

1 Thank anothertommy
Megan W, Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at the central Hotel. I apologize if our service recovery failed when you notified a member of our team. I agree that this is not acceptable and should have been resolved immediately. I can only assume a change of room was not available at the time and thus why a poor substitute of a candle was received. I will address this with our management team and conduct a full investigation. I agree with you that the hotel is a challenge for guests with disabilities , as an older building the structure is somewhat hard to change but I will take you comments on board for future modifications.

I'm disappointed to hear you did not find our food enjoyable, I assure you our Head chef and his team always try to offer all our guests delicious quality food. This is the first comment I've received this year regarding average food, and I will certainly bring the issue up with my head chef. Regarding your comments about being rushed into the dining area, meal times are set for tour groups to ensure better service & keep the group together for a better atmosphere. From our dining supervisors investigation it was found the tour arrived back to the hotel later than expected without a courtesy call from the driver for a later meal time. We apologies that you felt rushed & we will certainly work more closely with group driver regarding meal times.

We hope to welcome you back to the central hotel again for a more enjoyable stay

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Hotel is nice. Good location and grand food. Unfortunatly for us it was after we left that thr problem occured. We phoned within an hr of leaving the hotel to say we forgot a jacket in the wardrobe. The staff confirmed they had the jacket and we could have someone pick it up. We have phoned 8 times since and called in. The jacket is now nowhere to be seen, no explanation, no apology and we only received one phone call backafter leaving numerous messages to say they couldnt find it and were still looking.. no one has bothered to come back to us since. I had to beg for a call back the last time. Wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank iheartcoffeeire
Dear Guest,
I'm Glad you enjoyed your stay with us regarding your forgotten jacket thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, im sorry to say its the first time I'd heard of the issue. Please rest assure I will conduct a full investigation. If you wouldn't mind emailing the details of your jacket to me direct to Info@centralhoteldonegal.com c/o Megan, we are committed to issuing lost or forgotten property is returned to our guests in a speedy manner and their is no excuse for my team not to have done so.

I fully understand your frustration at not having had a direct reply from me or my staff not getting back to you in a swift manner and for this I again apologise. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact me at your convenience.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hi we stayed in the central hotel in donegal town the weekend of 7th June. The hotel itself was lovely, food was execlent even though I feel that the menu could have a better seletion. it was well priced. The staff in the bar were really nice and friendly. I have one problem when we got out of the lift to go to our room we had to walk down approxamitly 10 stairs. I have a bad hip and found this a challenge. In the hotel there were alot of steps and little ramps. Now the room was grand. The one thing I liked was that there was a shower in the room. When we forst went in to pay the bill I gave it in sterling as what was stated on the reciept. The receptionist said that it wasnt enough. She said that she had to add 1.1per cent to bring it up to the euro. I was not impressed with that. Mind you all together the stay in the hotel was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Be aware that you have to pay 1.1per cent ontop of the price if paying in sterling. At the back of t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mary S
Megan W, Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Mary,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I'm Very pleased to read you enjoyed the food while dining in the bar and that my staff were Nice & friendly. The hotel is blessed with amazing staff who are always so kind and helpful to all our guests.
I agree with you regarding the steps In the hotel , Part of being an older built hotel is we do have some steps throughout the building, if you are staying with us again I'd suggest requesting a room close to the front lift to make the trip easier. We have some beautiful Diamond facing rooms that are very close to the front lift and are much more accessible.
Regarding being charged 1.1 % For sterling, I'd appreciate if you'd contact the hotel direct to insure their isn't a mistake on your bill . While we do allow 10 % for sterling which would be €110 for every £100 we do not charge commission. Please contact Jenna direct with the hotel and she will check your bill

We enjoyed having you as our guest and it’s great to know that you enjoyed the experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Megan & All the Team
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,940 reviews
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!