“love it”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 27 April 2014

returning to harveys point is always something i really look forward to,ive been to many hotels worldwide and none compare to harveys and its only an hours drive from my home,The food and hospitality are 2nd to none and the proprietors should be very proud of their hotel,cant wait to return.

Room Tip: all beautiful
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Mike,

It is always our pleasure to welcome you back to Harvey's Point. We really appreciate your continued loyalty, especially when there are so many hotels to choose from. Thank you on behalf of the Gysling Family, Noel and our entire Team.

We are indeed proud of our achievements over the past 25 years but rest assured it is very much still a work in progress! We are continuously hatching plans to find new ways to delight our guests.

Please let me know whenever you plan a return visit so we can meet for a chat and I can thank you in person.

Kindest regards,

Deirdre

Write a ReviewReviews (4,320)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My son and I visited Harveys Point for the first time and though we only spent one night here it was a wonderful experience. The large executive suite is the essence of comfort, and the hotels setting on the edge of the lake makes for the most perfect views from the dining room. The circular bar is lovely and the music in the bar added to our visit. As a pianist myself I was delighted with the grand pianos in the residents library. Breakfast was out of this world with it's vast selection. Most memorable experience was chatting with Sean, the concierge, who was most welcoming and who regaled us with tales relating to the history of the hotel. Paintings on the corridor are most beautiful and painted by a member of the Gysling family. A wonderful experience and looking forward to returning soon. Deirdre Dooley

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Deirdre,

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your son to Harvey's Point and thank you for your lovely review which is greatly appreciated by the Gysling Family & Team. It is always encouraging to know when all the elements of a guest's experience blend well together.

We are touched that you were impressed by the paintings by Isobel Gysling, mother of Jody and Marc. From Yorkshire, married to Carlo Gysling, she was a most remarkable and humble woman.

Greetings from our ever charming Sean who effortlessly makes guests feel at home and very special.

We look forward to extending another warm welcome to you on your return visit.

Deirdre

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Came here to a wedding , must say the bar area is clean and of a very expensive high standard , with great service by the the staff , the function hall was equally of a high standard and the food was delicious , plentyful though out the wedding which was served fast and hot , buffet style deserts but plentiful , really clean toilets and some great views of the lake , we didn't stay but will the next time , couldn't believe this is only a four star should be a five star , will be back this time we ll stay

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Sincere thanks for your kind compliments following your recent visit to Harvey's Point to attend a wedding. We are happy that your first impressions were positive and that you had an enjoyable day. It would of course be our pleasure to welcome you back for a relaxing leisure break sometime in the not too distant future.

In relation to star classification, we choose to be 'best in class' as a superior four star hotel with a five star heart.

Best wishes from the Gysling Family, Noel our GM and our Team.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just returned from a 4 day break at Harvey's Point, and I have have to say that it did not disappoint. Booked the penthouse suite as a special treat and WOW! From the minute we checked in, we felt like VIP's, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We arrived early and although check in wasnt until 4pm, our room was going to be ready by 2pm - not a problem as we were booked in for Sunday Lunch.

Easter Sunday Carvery was an experience! We had a very light brekfast before we left, in anticipation of lunch - boy, am i glad it was light. We were served with soup to our table which was delicious, then we were on our own to help ourselves! The starters were amazing, from the cold meats and cheeses to the poached salmon and mussles. Salads were plentiful and the chef was on hand to help if required. Main course was a choice of lamb, pork, turkey or gammon, each carved by the polite chef who always asked if your portion was acceptable or if you wanted more. Potatoes and veg followed and the portions were huge! If you left hungry, it was your own fault. Dessert was another feast for the eyes! Every dessert you could imagine was available. The carvery was delicious but we have decided that it is not for us, my partner has recently undergone hip surgery and is just finding his feet, to have to queue and serve yourself is not easy for him at the minute, we would rather have the meal brought to the table. This is in no way a fault or with the hotel, just our personal preference at this time.

Our suite was out of this world, spacious beyond belief and so light with lots of windows which let the birdsong in aplenty. The sofas and furniture were stylish and comfortable, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable. Extra pillows were available if required. A luxurious bathroom suite complete with large whirlpool bath and private bar area completed the suite. The housekeeping staff were fantastic each morning, they were through and discreet, polite and always had a smile for the guests.

We availed of room service on 2 mornings. Brekfast was served professionally, politely and promptly. It was lovely having a leisurely brekfast feast overlooking the lake. Brekfast in the dining room was also a very pleasant experience. Marie and Lisa were ever smiling and always wished us a good day as we were leaving.

On the morning we were leaving we had the fabulous Brendan to help with the bags, he is a credit to the hotel with his chatty manner and helpful attitude. He produced 2 bottles of water for us to take with us for our trip home.

Harvey's Point did not disappoint in any way, we enjoyed the peace and quiet of our 4 days, and cannot thank the staff enough for making our stay a relaxing and extremely enjoyable experience. We cannot wait to return in the not to distant future.

1  Thank Pamelab1048
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Pamela,

How kind of you to take time to write such a detailed account of your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. Thank you so much. This valuable feedback is important to us.

Rest assured that such high praise serves to encourage us to raise the bar even higher.

In relation to our Sunday Carvery Lunch, any of our team would have been more than happy to bring the main course to your table. Just letting you know for next time. We hope your partner is recovering well from his recent hip surgery.

We are so pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable experience. Greetings from our lovely Marie and Lisa as well as the charming Brendan who will be delighted to receive a special mention.

Noel, our GM and the entire team join in sending you both our best wishes and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Deirdre & Marc.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just returned from another fab break at Harvey's Point , really had a great time and as usual food was to die for. Staff were so helpful and as it was our Ruby Wedding Anniversary we have lovely memories of our break. Hope to be back to see you all soon again.

1  Thank Noeline A

Dear Noeline,

A warm welcome back to Harvey’s Point. Thank you for your kind compliments. It is important for us to know that our standards are consistent and that returning guests enjoy an exceptional experience each time they visit.

Congratulations on your Ruby Wedding Anniversary from the Gysling Family, Noel & Team.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was our first visit to Harvey's Point. My wife was celebrating a "special" birthday and we could not have chosen a more splendid venue. Everything was perfect - from our arrival to our departure. Our room was exceptional, food wonderful and the staff could not have done more. We will certainly return.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are thrilled that you have discovered the magic of Harvey’s Point. It was our pleasure to welcome you and your wife. Please extend our congratulations on her birthday.

We look forward to extending another warm Donegal welcome to you on your next visit.

Kind regards,

The Gysling Family, Noel & Team.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I went to the hotel for the long weekend with my partner. On arrival, check in was super quick and we got an upgrade. Happy days! Brendan showed us to our room, the gentleman he is and within 1 minutes of closing the door behind him, reception rang to see if everything was ok? Bit quick with that call I felt.
Anyhow, the room was amazing, and I mean amazing. After a long drive, the Jacuzzi bath was all I wanted only to find that it was broken. Dead, nothing, Not happy! It was one of the selling points for me and paying nearly €220 a night you would expect more.
Getting ready to go for a few drinks and dinner, my girlfriend noticed that there was no place for her to plug in her hair straightener with access to a mirror. Only place was a socket under the sink in the bathroom. Electricity and water don't mix. Girlfriend Not Happy!!
Onto the bar we go. I reported the issue with the hot tub to reception on the way to the bar but, it was never fixed and they never contacted me. Not Happy!!!
Dinner was lovely but the 1/2 chicken we got for mains had only 2 roast potatoes which I can only describe a pebbles. No mash at all, just a plate of cabbage & chicken. Not happy!!!! Thankfully, the next night we got the bar food menu (same restaurant) which had roast beef and I have to say, it was amazing and guess what? 3 types of potatoes, mashed, roast and baked...where was that menu on Friday night and at half the price? Definitely recommend & the sticky toffee pudding is a must by the way, well yum!
At the bar, despite it not being very busy, I always felt you were waiting to be served. The staff were in and out constantly with no designated bar staff to keep watch over things. Don't get me wrong, the staff in both the restaurant and bar are the best I've encountered in a hotel, but I really think they should keep someone behind the bar at all times. On speaking to other residents, they had the same complaint.
And now onto the buffet. Both mornings the sausages, hash browns and eggs were like rubber. Probably the worst I've had at a hotel. The selection of food is impressive, breads were always super fresh with fresh crepes and omelettes made to order and plenty of juice. Staff once again were brill. Sitting near the window looking out at the lakes on a sunny morning is not advisable if you forget your sunglasses by the way. I was blinded by the sun on sat morning, had to move. Very painful on the eyes and eating with your eyes closed is not advisable. Views are impressive all the same.
It's not all bad. The staff are amazing, the hotel is super clean, you are made to feel special which is what you want, the room was fantastic, biggest I've ever stayed in and on the Saturday morning we were taken on a beautiful walk by the owner Deirdre and her daughter up around the lakes (how many owners take the time to do that?).
I just feel let down by the things listed above, despite most being small issues (except for the Jacuzzi....still not happy!!!!) as I loved the place, its surroundings and the staff. On check out I did raise the issue of the Jacuzzi not working but, it was not entertained. I was told that they would have 'maintenance look at it', and my response was 'that what I was told on Friday but nothing was done'. The receptionist delivered awkward conversation till I was sent on my way & yes, still got charged the full whack of €220 a night. Not happy!!!!!
Anyhow, question is would I recommend?? Well yes, but if you are staying in room 305, check that the Jacuzzi is fixed, if you order the roast chicken, get extra potatoes and do the walk with Deirdre, it's beautiful. :-0

2  Thank bluenose1111
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to share such a detailed account of your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. Your feedback is most valuable to us in measuring our performance as a hotel. It is our Vision to deliver excellence in hospitality and hotel keeping and we appreciate knowing when we don’t get it quite right.

We are truly sorry that you encountered a series of shortcomings during your stay. Please accept our apologies. I can assure you that we will follow up on each and every one of your constructive comments. Noel, our General Manager is currently working through the highlighted issues with our Team.

I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again sometime so that you can experience Harvey’s Point at its traditional best. Please contact myself or Noel if we can be of any assistance.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Deirdre, Noel & Team.

13 mi away
Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!