“Amazing... Just amazing!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Ohio
“Amazing... Just amazing!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at Harvey's Point right before the Easter weekend began (sorry it's taken this long to review!) and were delighted with every aspect of our stay. The room, the restaurant, the quality of food, the beauty of the location couldn't have been nicer. The attention from everyone was outstanding, from the people who serviced our room to the servers in the restaurant to the lovely people in reception…all were more than courteous. Warm, welcoming, and genuinely interested in meeting every wish. We love visiting Ireland from the US and in all subsequent trips (God willing) we will detour to Donegal and Harvey's Point for a few days, no matter where else we might be. We cannot wait to visit here again!

Room Tip: For us, a room overlooking the water did not disappoint.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you have discovered the magic of Donegal and Harvey’s Point. Thank you for your wonderful review which is greatly appreciated by the Gysling Family & Team.

We look forward to extending another warm welcome to you on your return visits to Ireland.
Special greetings from us all.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night , Saturday 16th May, with my boyfriend. We had such a lovely relaxing time at the hotel. The staff were so pleasant, the room was stunning and the breakfast was delicious. We will definitely be back again for a longer stay next time !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lalala84
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words following your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. It was our pleasure to welcome you and we hope to see you back again soon.

Ballyclare, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It is difficult to encapsulate the Harveys experience in a few words.
The hotel is situated right on the edge of Lough Eske making a wander along the loughside a possible after dinner. The area has much to commend it with well established natural woodland giving rise to many wild wildflowers to enhance any walk.
The public areas of the hotel are well appointed
Bedrooms are located in a separate wing connected to the dining and bar area through the entrance foyer/reception. This layout ensures that the sleeping areas are well insulated from any noise from the bar and dining room. The bedroom we stayed in was the mid range choice, I think. It comprised an entrance lobby opening into the main bedroom. To the left was the bathroom which was luxuriously and fully furnished with spa bath, shower, twin basins, wc and bidet.
Proceeding further into the room was the sleeping area which had a king or queen size bed, can't remember which, but certainly larger than a standard double. Beyond that was the lounge area, again nicely furnished.
In all the bedroom must have been close to 80 square metres ( my wife commented that the room was bigger than our daughters house!) The bedroom and the public areas in the bedroom wing were all close to silent assuring a good nights sleep.
The bar in the hotel is a circular affair with the serving area taking up the centre of the circle. A peat fire burns in a raised fireplace permeating the room with peat smoke. The dining room is accessed through a doorway off the bar and has panoramic windows overlooking the lough.
It may have been the time we were there but I thought that the bar, whilst having some nice touches, lacked any atmosphere - mind you, how you build that in I don't know. I found that the dining experience also was less than perfect (for me). Breakfast was served buffet style, albeit with chefs on hand for special orders, but queues for kept hot food and people squeezing past your table whilst serving themselves detract from the experience. Dinner was good but not exceptionally so. The dining room, both at dinner and breakfast, was noisy.
Staff at the hotel were unfailingly polite and helpful . It is clear that they wish a stay at Harveys to be a totally relaxing experience. The service was excellent. However, it was delivered with little real warmth, akin to some business hotels.
To summarise Harveys has every luxury, it has attendant and helpful staff, but it lacks the atmosphere to make the experience complete.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a descriptive and informative review following your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. It was our pleasure to welcome you to our hotel.

Naturally, we would love to explore further to what extent the ‘atmosphere’ was somewhat lacking in terms of your experience. It is fair to say that it is sometimes hard to define what works and what doesn’t. However, please be assured that we will discuss your findings in our regular analysis of guest feedback.

We fully agree with you that it is the ambiance that makes an experience complete. That in addition to the warmth of the welcome and the genuine courtesy and care offered by the staff. In this area, our dedicated team regularly go above and beyond the call of duty and if on this occasion, this did not happen, we express our regret and assure you that it is not the norm.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and it would be our hope that we would exceed expectations should you have occasion to return to Harvey’s Point.

Yours sincerely,

Deirdre
london
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here at the beginning of April with my mum and young son. I was really excited about staying here, and the hotel has some fabulous elements, but I couldn't help feeling it wasn't quite as amazing as all the other reviews had led us to expect. We'd just come from the four seasons in Dublin where the service was the best I'd ever experienced, so maybe we were a little spoiled.

The rooms were AMAZING. I have never stayed in such a vast room! The bathroom was beautifully decorated, with jacuzzi bath. It was bigger than most hotel rooms. There was also a separate dressing room (what a great idea, keeps things so much tidier) and a really well equipped bar area with sink, loads of utensils and a very well priced mini bar. The bed wasn't the softest I've stayed in but it was definitely one of the largest. Although it was busy and I was next to the lift the room was extremely quiet.

Where I felt a bit disappointed was the restaurant. The first night we opted for bar food. Someone was going to seat us, but she got distracted so we ended up waiting for 10 minutes (It was really early and there was hardly anyone else there). I think there was some sort of presentation going in and everyone seemed otherwise-engaged. Once seated my mum ordered soup and I ordered fish and chips. They were using a new Ipad ordering system and the waiter was very confused by it. My mum got her soup but I had to wait a further 20 minutes for my fish and chips. There was no one available to ask what was going on. Once I did get my food it was really oily and I had trouble finishing it. At the end of the meal we said we weren't very happy and to her credit the waitress (manager?) apologised and agreed that it had all gone a bit wrong. The next night was SO much better and she made sure we were looked after properly. Service was prompt and attentive and the food much better. I had asparagus which was out of this world, although my salmon main course was over cooked.

Breakfast was amazing. The omelettes and gammon were just beautiful.

All in all I think we just had a bit of an unlucky experience at the restaurant, but I couldn't help feeling that harveys point aren't making the most of a truly fabulous location

One final point, I really didn't like the website. The special deals were confusing. I got quoted one price on line and my mum got quoted more, for a smaller room, when she used the on line chat. Having said that the deal that I did get (spring special) was very good value

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a Lake view, some rooms overlook the car park
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share a detailed account of your visit to Harvey’s Point in April. Thank you for your most valuable feedback which we will use constructively in our ongoing training programme. It is always our goal to deliver the highest standards in food and service and it is very important for us to know when we don’t get everything right. Thankfully, any teething problems with the re-opening of our restaurant have since been rectified.

In relation to the various shortcomings you encountered, may we extend our most sincere apologies. We share your disappointment, and either Noel, our General Manager or myself are available to discuss the details with you personally in the hope that we may restore your faith in our property.

It is encouraging to note that you enjoyed the luxury and space of our bedrooms and of course our magical location on the shores of Lough Eske.

We take on board your comment regarding our website and we are pleased that our recently launched website is much more user friendly and informative.

Thank you once again for your comments and we would love the opportunity of welcoming you, your mother and your young son back again sometime.

Yours sincerely,

Deirdre
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A real place to relax and enjoy the view, set on Loch Eske it is a stunning retreat, great food, service and the room was like a home from home.
We rolled up in our Morgan with a suitcase on the back to be greeted by a charming lad with a trolley, welcome smile and eager to help you.
We went to the restaurant for our evening meal and all I can say is the food was exquisite, tasty and being honest good value for money.
Its a shame I only booked one day for us, however we will be back.

Dear Terry,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Harvey’s Point and thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit.

We are truly honoured to receive such high praise and rest assured that we will continue in our efforts to deliver excellence in hotel keeping and hospitality.

Rory our young Concierge will be thrilled that he made a positive impression. As they say, ‘first impressions last’ and at Harvey’s Point, our ‘welcome’ is the backbone of our business.

We look forward to seeing you back again in the not too distant future and your lovely Morgan will once again receive many admiring glances in our carpark!

UK
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was our first stay at Harveys Point.

On arrival we had barely made our third step towards the door when we were met and our bags taken for us. We were greeted with another warm welcome at reception and found we had been upgraded to a penthouse suite!

We enjoyed our chat with Sean on the way to the room as he told us all about the hotel and then showed us around the suite. The Penthouse is an incredible 1,700 sq ft including a private bar, dining room and lounge, in addition to the huge bedroom with dressing room and Jacuzzi equipped bathroom.

The breakfast was wonderful, especially when seated at a window in the dining room and looking out across Lough Eske. The newly refurbished bar with is cosy and the soup and sandwich lunches hit the spot.

Harveys Point is in a beautiful location, 10 minutes away from Donegal Town and all the surrounding area has to offer.

But the staff are what makes Harveys really special. From we arrived until we departed we had a warm greeting and a chat with every member of staff we met. Thank you to them for making our stay so special and the management for running such an amazing hotel. We’ve rarely if ever come away from a hotel more relaxed and eager to return. My wife and I can’t wait to revisit Harveys Point again soon. The highest recommendation.

1 Thank otto-mate
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to extend a warm welcome to you on your first, we hope of many visits to Harvey’s Point. Thank you for your kind compliments which are greatly appreciated by the Gysling Family & Team.

We are delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the hospitality to the decor, to the food and to the size of your suite.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Deirdre, Marc, Noel & Team.
Dublin
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was at The Harvey's Point with my GF for her birthday 2 weeks ago.... what to say... simply amazing!
Best hotel, restaurant, service, breakfast ever experienced in my life.
The welcome was fast and we were always facing a big smile. We were escorted to the room, it was huge! 75 mq! Bathroom with Jacuzzi was unbelievable, we spent a few hours inside! Restaurant for dinner and then for breakfast was exceeding our expectation all the time. Very friendly staff.
Location... Donegal is my favourite part of Ireland and The Harvey's is just in the best part of it.
We had the chance to drive the North Atlantic Way (north) for a good while a then just relax and being spoiled at The Harvey's.
We will definitely come back for a new great experience!

1 Thank FraFra79
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review. It was our pleasure to welcome you and your girlfriend to Harvey’s Point. Please extend belated birthday wishes to her on our behalf.

We are thrilled that we exceeded expectations and we look forward do welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!