We stayed the weekend of the 20th of June. Was really looking forward to it since Harvey's Point had won hotel of the year in Ireland for 2013 and 2014. We had booked a twin room on the basis on staff guidance that the room contained two large double beds - this is not the case at all. We had to push the two beds together in order to create some room for two. The room itself was very large and this was a bonus, but I was disappointed with the description of the size of the beds and also whilst the mattresses were fine, they are getting old.
The location is really what sells this place. I would recommend buying a bottle of bubbly and going on a walk around the lake, choose a spot upon which to sit looking out over the lake sipping your bubbly. Also, if you can get a room with a view of the lake.
The food was very nice and the staff courteous. The piano player in the bar was OK. I realise that it must be hard as a singer not to add your own flair to songs, but sometimes, it is more advisable not to.
My overall assessment of the place is that is is fine, although no swimming pool is a big negative. I honestly cannot see what this hotel does over and above other hotels of a similar rating to warrant the awarding of Tripadvisor Hotel 2013 and 2014. I think the problem for me is that with such accolades, I went with very high expectations and as a result came away disappointed/disillusioned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- There is an air of Romance at Harvey's Point, set in the mystical, magical shadow of the Blue Stack Mountains on the shores of Lough Eske. Owned and managed by the Swiss Family Gysling since it opened in 1989, Harvey's Point has developed into the leading destination hotel of the Northwest, specialising in top class accommodation, exquisite cuisine and genuine Donegal welcome. Named TripAdvisor '№ 1 Hotel in Ireland' for the fifth year in a row, 10th best in Europe, AA two rosette restaurant and ‘Hotel of the Year 2017' by Georgina Campbell. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, LateRooms and Cancelon so you can book your Harvey's Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harvey`s Point Hotel Donegal Town
- Harveys Point Hotel Donegal
- Harveys Point Donegal