“Everything a hotel should be!!!!”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
ireland
“Everything a hotel should be!!!!”
Reviewed 30 March 2009

My fiancee and I stayed at Harveys Point from 29th-30th march as we were attending the wedding fayre, how this hotel has not been given 5 stars yet is beyond me. We stayed in one of the premium suites. Our stay was in total luxury, jacuzzi and double shower in bathroom, large living area and a gorgeous entrance hall to room.

The suite we stayed in was like no other I have been in before helped to the room by the concierge (Brendan) we were shown the ins and outs of the suite to allow us to make full use of our room. Classical music is piped into your bathroom should you want it there is a volume control on the wall. The bed was big enough for 6 people let alone 2. I can honestly say the 360 views on the site do not come close to what you experience in real life. Rooms are emaculate and extremely well kept. At night fresh fruit and milk will be delivered to your room.

The residents bar is fab, really relaxing and cozy with open fire. Futher into the bar there are large windows with a view of the lake STUNNING!! Staff walk with a sense of purpose they are always assisting or clearing tables etc. you will never pass a member of staff in this hotel without being acknowledged or asked if you need anything.

As the wedding fayre was on the day we arrived the hotel was buzzing with life Harveys have an army of staff all of whom were extremely professional and curtious. One thing you will notice in the staff at Harveys is that they really seem to enjoy their work and really care about their guests. The staff in my opinion are the reason why Harveys Point is so unique they make you feel as if you haven't a worry in the world and put you to complete ease.

The food........Gordon Ramsey doesn't have a patch on the head chef at Harveys (I would know as I was at his restaurant in London very over rated) anyway all food is prepared using fresh products its is presented stunningly. Myself and my fiancee had our 5 course meal to our room each course was delivered separately with adequate time allowed between each meal. For breakfast again delivered to the room my fiancee had the fry which was huge and looked gorg I don't actually know because she wouldn't let me have any! I had the kippers which were fresh and tasted wonderful.

We have now decided to book our wedding in Harveys point. I strongly recommend any couple thinking of getting married to consider Harveys Point there is not a hotel in Ireland that compares to it. Jonathan Kelly is the man to get in touch with.

I have honestly never enoyed a stay in a hotel like I did in Harveys point one nights stay felt like a weeks break. The hotel is absolutely stunning with amazing surroundings. You will leave Harveys Point feeling totally relaxed and wanting to return.

F.A.O. Marc & Deirdre your staff are a true credit to you.
J&G

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IrelandGemma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 March 2009

This is a top-end place. The food is spectacular and very Irish authentic. Don't bother spending extra for anything beyond the basic rooms. All the rooms are huge. There is no chance you'll be disappointed with this hotel. Just make sure to rent a car for this trip. We did not and regretted it. This is a beautiful part of Ireland, and you need a car to take full advantage. Also, make sure to visit Slieve League--the largest seaside cliffs in Europe!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We arrived at Harveys Point after a horrendous experience with another hotel ( see Herons Cove Rossnowlagh). We had endured a three hour drive to find we had no accommodation, and were aware of Harveys Point through tripadvisor, so when we saw roadsigns indicating that Harveys was in the area ,we headed there in the off chance that they would have availability for 2 nights.
First impressions were very favourable, with the approach, grounds and reception being immaculate, and the manner of the staff exceptional. We explained our predicament to Heide on reception, who couldn't have been more understanding and empathetic, she very efficiently advised us of availability, and tariff and proceeded to show us the room before we booked.
All I can say is WOW!! The suite, she showed us was absolutely beautiful and the attention to detail second to none, my husband actually said 'We'll take it 'before he entered the main bedroom, it was so impressive!
After returning to the reception to complete the formalities, Heidi very kindly checked availability and offered us a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe suite as one was available. Like other reviewers I have to add that the hotels website 360 images do not do it justice, with the reality being way more impressive!
Everything about Harveys is perfect, and from someone who is very critical, I don't say it lightly!
The food was outstanding, with a spectacular breakfast (a special mention must be given to the breakfast gammon joint), and a fabulously sumptuous five course gourmet dinner, included in our package rate, the restaurant itself was magnificent with unrivaled views over the lake, and highly attentive staff. The food was so good we boooked again for our second night, and enjoyed it equally as much on our return
Each and every member of staff was friendly, helpful, and very efficient; , service in every area was impeccable, the attention to detail in the rooms was superb with tea-lights and matches even being positioned around the 2 person Jacuzzi in the bathroom, and availability of piped classical music, with adjustable volume control if desired!
I cannot praise Harveys highly enough, and what initially, started off as a potentially disastrous birthday celebration, ended up in us having one of the finest 2 days of our
travelling experiences. In fact we were so enamoured with Harveys Point that we have booked a return visit in December ,and, await our return with eagerness.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Just returned from a Valentines Weekend.. We had a Premium Room, our friends had the Penthouse Suite, that saying, "seeing is believing" is true of this hotel.. It still retains some of its quirkiness and quaint ways. for example, food can only be eaten in and around the restauraunt, leaving the main lounge food free.. Another certain thing seemed to be absent, CHILDREN, having two of my own, it was so peaceful, and quiet, bliss..

On the first night we ate out at an italian called Labelle eDonna, in Donegal town, 10/10...Taxi in and taxi out..

Breakfast 1st moring room service 10/10..The room itself was unreal, huge, please look up the hotels own website to see the room @ 360 deg angle cause no matter how it is described it will never do it justice...

Quiet day enjoying ourselves, pampering, eating drinking and always with a friendly smile from who was ever looking after us..

Meal on Valentines night was above average, rose for the lady which was a lovely touch.. Decided to go down for breakfast next morning, oh my god, such freshness and choice, even a chef on stand by to serve you fresh pancakes... I could go on and on about everything, this is the first hotel in all my travels that I couldnt find fault with, and boy am I fussy.. If you want to spoil someone, this is it. The cravery on sunday which had 240 guest was just sumptous, only the hotel wasnt open on sunday, I wouldnt have been home yet....

Please let me win the lotto!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nailparlour
n. ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2009

my husband and i stayed 2nd and 3rd jan this year and even though the hotel was winding down as they were closing for a few weeks the service was still top class. we have stayed here many times and are always blown away by the excellence of this hotel. the staff are always so courteous and welcoming and the rooms are just superb!! we would definately recommend this hotel to everyone and we are already looking forward to going back!!
R and J kilpatrick, tyrone.

• Liked — the rooms and attentive service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We stayed in Harvey's Point over the weekend of 3rd and 4th January......and the hotel was due to close on the 5th Jan for two and a half weeks.

On a very positive note, we are a young married couple and have previously enjoyed the luxury the hotel offers on many occasions. However, I fell pregnant last year and was dismayed that as the hotel is very adult orientated, we would be unable to stay there again for another 18 years!! I made comments to that effect on my comment card on our last stay in July 07 and was pleased when I was phoned by a member of staff who informed that babies and children are indeed now welcome in the hotel. In terms of dining, there are three options:
1. In room dining
2. Dining in the main dining room at 5.30
3. Organising a babysitter

Armed with this info, we gave our luxury getaway a try with a four month baby in tow...a very good four month baby I have to say!!

One negative was that there was no concierge to greet us when my husband left myself, bambino and numerous bags off at the front door..I had to lug them on to a luggage trolly myself and navigate into the foyer one hand on pram, one hand on luggage trolly! I am aware that there is normally a concierge on duty and it may have been our bad luck that two other couples had just checked in ahead of us!

Our experience after this with baby was fab. The staff were very welcoming and indeed 'cooing' over said baby which was sweet!
The travel cot was set up already in our deluxe suite and the mini bar had been emptied, as I had requested, to allow us to store our bottles; although in hindsight this is probably not even necessary as it is a normal sized fridge.

First night we hung out in our suite....we actually had thought about this in advance and knew that due to the sheer size of it, there would be no problem putting baby to sleep and relaxing ourselves in our decadent surroundings. Oh, swimming pool still not built but we were able to put baby in large jacuzzi bath and she thought it was magic!!

Second night, we booked a babysitter and ate in the restaurant. Just a few disappointments that night...as the hotel was closing the following day, we were a bit apprehensive that the 'wind down' would be beginning...and I have to say there was some evidence of that. Firstly, my husband was unable to get a pint of Guinness....there was none left!! Or a pint of Heineken! And there was none of our chosen wine left at dinner (Mudhouse sauv blanc). The waitress also admitted that the cheese selection was also depleted as they were closing the next day.

The problem with this is we were paying full rates, so we should have been able to avail of everything any other guest would be able to avail of every other day of the year.

The female drinks waiter also appeared to be winding down, and we had to go to the bar ourselves on two occasions when sitting in the lounge after dinner, as did other guests.

Only other niggle was that the babysitter was a tad expensive...60 euros for 3 hours, although I do acknowledge that
you are paying for her experience...a granny herself and an ex-nurse.

Overall, these are only small issues I suppose and I am heartened to see the owner reads these reviews, so this is as good as a comment card I suppose!

All in all, we do really rate Harvey's Point as a luxury getaway and I am pleased to say this remains the case..even with baby!!!

Stayed January 2009
MGDonegal, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, 16 January 2009
Thank you for sharing our comments about your experience at Harvey’s Point. It allows us to measure our service levels and indeed on this occasion, I apologise for the issues you have raised. Please be assured that I will follow them up with our management team to ensure that Harvey’s Point retains its traditional high customer care philosophy. Best regards to you, your husband and baby. We look forward to welcoming you all back again.
Dublin
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Christmas at this superb hotel was something really special.
Never have we experienced such kindness and courtesy from all the staff. This combined with wonderful comfort, high standards of housekeeping and management, delicious food and wines served overlooking the lake and a truly breathtaking location make this the best hotel experience we have had certainly in Ireland and possibly anywhere else for that matter!!
Will DEFINITELY be back soon....
If you have never stayed here and enjoy hotels of the calibre of Sheen Falls, Dunloe Castle etc.... you can't go wrong here.
Thanks again to everyone at Harveys Point for a wonderful Christmas.

• Liked — The kindness and courtesy of all the management and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing.....when the pool is open it will be even better
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!