“Brilliant!”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Fantastic location..tranquil and peaceful..beautiful food..superb staff..what else is there?..highly recommended

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Harvey's Point

Reviewed 7 September 2009

Had a lovely 2 night stay. Stayed in a deluxe room and it is absolutely huge and very well appointed. Outlook is over carpark towards some countryside beyond(not lake)
Room 207 – enter into a hall with a traditional hall stand and coat rack, then through door to dressing area/coffee making area – wardrobes along one side (with safe/iron and ironing board, dressing gowns, slippers etc) Other side a unit with a small sink, and kettle, fridge/mini bar. Well stocked with tea and coffee (including ground coffee for cafetiere) and some small pieces of home made biscuits in a jar.
Through to bedroom with traditional style furnishings and a 40” TV. King bed, stool at bottom of it, Small side table and stool, large desk and chair with free access to internet if you have your laptop, large sofa, two huge club chairs with big foot stools and coffee table, and over by window a table and 2 chairs.
Bathroom is off dressing area and has double sinks in a vanitory unit type arrangement, large round Jacuzzi, bidet, loo and large shower. Also make up mirror brightly lit by about 6 “theatre dressing room style” lights with a magnifying mirror and stool. Toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames. Heated towel rail and plenty of good quality towels. Candle at side of bath – nice touch.

Hotel staff are superb – from reception, to bar and restaurant to housekeeping. Nothing is too much trouble.

There is a reading room near reception which is pleasant and has the daily papers, some bottles of water and a stock of apples.

The bar overlooks the lake and is very pleasant for a drink. Also does afternoon tea.

We ate in the Steakhouse and thoroughly enjoyed our bread and dips, starters and steaks which come very well garnished and cooked perfectly.

The meal on night two was in the gourmet restaurant and is a set 5 course dinner served over a leisurely two hours or so. The scallops and the cauliflower soup were exceptional. Also enjoyed the lamb, rum baba and cheese board.

We went to “Echoes of Ireland” in the bar - this was surprisingly good. Well presented and quite informal. We are not great ones for entertainment but this really was an excellent evening – ran from around 10 until after 12, with Malachi Kush, Eamonn Gillespie and Plunkett McGartland.

Breakfast good – especially the properly freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juices, excellent quality bacon, tasty sausages, wheaten bread and roast Irish loin of pork!

I looked at the Courtyard rooms and although adequate – I really think the rooms in the newer block are infinitely better. They start at executive category and are around 3 times the size of the Courtyard ones.

I take the point that a pool and gym would just make here perfect. When the weather isn’t good there is not too much to do. I like walking but In terms of walks, these would seem mainly to along narrow twisty roads which I wouldn’t have been too comfortable with.
The thing I missed was a lobby area near reception where you can sit and see the comings and goings! There isn’t really a seating area at reception, and the reading room is separate with lake view. I know that in some other hotels we have whiled away an hour of two with a coffee and the papers around reception, enjoying the people watching.

All in all this is a great spot for a couple of night’s relaxation. About 10 mins drive from Donegal town.

2  Thank highfly
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed there for 4 nights, and it was as fantastic as ever. We were upgraded to a Premium room which was lovely, the jacuzzi bath was very welcoming after several long walks. The staff are just THE BEST very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We had supper the first night in the Steakhouse which as one other reviewer wrote has a lovely ambience and although i enjoyed my meal my husband ordered a T bone steak rare to medium and it came very thin and very overcooked and the peas were a little dry, the service was a little slow but it was extremely busy that night but it certainly didnt spoil our evening. We had two further meals in the Restaurant and they were superb, the quality of the food and wine and the service was brilliant. The hotel has a very comfortable feel to it. We love to sit in the lounge bar having a drink looking across the Lough with the smell of the peat fire wafting around the room. Its pure heaven. Well done to everyone. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2009

From the moment you enter the grounds of this hotel you feel relaxed and welcome. The staff are most helpful and accomodating, nothing you ask is too much effort for them. The rooms are splendid a real delight to stay in and the views are amazing. Very relaxed atmosphere all round highlighted by the magnificant lough views,relaxing music in the bathroom down to the very smell of the turf fires. Finally the restaurants live up to the four stars as all food served was beautiful and the staff again helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 29 August 2009

I took my Husband to Harveys Point for a suprise for his birthday, after staying at Harveys Point he says I cannot top it. From the minute we arrived the Staff were so helpful and friendly, the suite luxurious and the food delicious with the Carabet dinner a night not to be missed. All I can say is that this Hotel does not deserve four stars, if there was such a thing as ten star this Hotel would definitely qualify for it. We travel a lot in different countries and I cannot honestly say that in all aspects this Hotel beats every other one we have stayed in.

Reviewed 26 August 2009

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Harvey’s Point in August and it was almost perfect.

We were booked into a Deluxe room, huge, well equipped, well serviced. I read an earlier review where it talked about a noisy bed…were you in 216? Ours was noisy on the right hand side, but the bed was so big it was possible to ignore it. 5 stars for the room, or should I say rooms.

We booked two meals in the Gourmet Restaurant. The food was very good, however, the menu stayed the same for all four nights of our stay. On our first night, Thursday, we saw food being served that was not on the menu, for example, Mussels as a starter. Upon checking the menu for the Steakhouse Restaurant, we found that mussels were on that menu. Now, mussels are a particular favourite of mine, so I asked at reception on Saturday if I would be able to order something from the Steakhouse menu, and was told I could. My wife did not want anything from the Steakhouse menu, and was happy to continue with the Gourmet menu.
However, when I asked the waitress, then Damien, the Duty Manager, he told us that I could only change the Main Course. In Damien’s words, this was “being prepared to meet me half way”. Is this what service is about, meeting a customer half-way? I think not. In every other way Damien was an excellent Manager. The thing that niggles me is that there seems not to be a policy. If someone is served Mussels from the Steakhouse Menu on a Thursday, why not on a Saturday? If you have a policy that states no food from one menu allowed in the other restaurant, that’s fine. But don’t offer it to some and not others.

It’s a shame that this incident made the stay almost perfect instead of the perfect it would have got in every other aspect.

Finally, how people can give this hotel 1 star is completely beyond me.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

Absolutely fantastic hotel. The suite was beyond expectations, beautiful decor and so spacious. The food was superb. The location idyllic and the peace and quiet heavenly!
The kindness and courtesy of all the staff, from check in to check out was second to none.
Harveys Point is a real treasure.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!