“Breathtaking location and a very warm welcome, will be back!”
Review of Rhu-Gorse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Donegal Town
Rhu-Gorse
Ranked #28 of 44 Donegal Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here for a night while travelling around Donegal and wished we could have stayed longer. the owner was very welcoming and friendly and gave us useful recommendations for local trips and activities. the natural beauty surrounding this B&B is difficult to describe. our room looked out over the spectacular woodlands and lake. we had the moon rising up over the lake at night and the sun beaming in the next morning. the tranquility of this place can really only be experienced. i went for a short walk around the many paths and tracks nearby and saw a buzzard and a pair of kestrels hunting. hard to believe you are only 5 minutes from the town.

we enjoyed a truly memorable short stay, and will definitely be back again. the room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean, and the breakfast is one of the best i've had in years.

1  Thank Tim M
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

It makes my heart sing to get a review such as yours!. In the short time you were here you got such a lot out of your stay. Right now the young buzzards are making a rumpus so I assume they are just learning to fly, and just the other day I saw a large hare in the garden, the first for many a year so I hope we will see more in the future.Thank you for posting!

There are newer reviews for Rhu-Gorse

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Attended a wedding reception at nearby Harvey's point (within 2-3 minutes drive) and was struggling to find accommodation over the bank holiday weekend. We found Rhu Gorse and booked the remaining two rooms.

Kindly when the other guest cancelled their booking Grainne phoned to offer the family room in place of the twin room for our party. This was perfect as the other couple traveling with us are very soon to be first time parents and the extra space in the room was greatly appreciated.

We arrived late evening after a long drive across Ireland from Belfast. Immediately Grainne was there to welcome us. She offered us some tea. I was expecting a small cup of tea and was delighted to be presented with a pot of tea accompanied by freshly baked cakes, scones and shortbread. It was exactly what we needed. The next morning we were presented with a very hearty breakfast - cereal, yoghurt, fresh fruit, toast, soda bread, tea, full irish breakfast (vegi alternative for myself was excellent).

The rooms were both large with phenomenal views of Lough Eske. The beds were comfortable and we enjoyed a great nights sleep. Grainne was very helpful in the morning as we were rushing to get ready for the wedding ceremony. She provided an iron for my partner to smarten up his shirt and carefully wrote out driving directions for us to take the shortest route via country roads back across the border to Fermanagh.

Rhu Gorse is located approximately 10minutes drive from Donegal town and only minutes from both Harvey's point and Lough Eske castle venues which are very popular for weddings. We would like to return to Donegal in the future to see more of it and would definitely stay at Rhu Gorse again.

RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for taking time to write such a wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Rhu Gorse, and hope to see you back again?

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Spectacular view, fantastic room, excellent service and hospitality - there's no comparison. Should be on the list of 101 things to do before you die. Simply the best B&B I have ever been to. Made walking the Bluestacks a comfortable and luxurious experience!

• Stayed: July 2013
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

What a lovely review thank you! I hope your hill walking experience of the Bluestack Mountains was to your expectations?
I am so glad you enjoyed your stop over in Rhu Gorse.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here for a wedding at Harvey's Point. Proprietor was very helpful and provided gorgeous home made cake and tea on our arrival and a great breakfast the following morning. Room was charming with wonderful views on two sides.
No hesitation in recommending to all.

RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your kind review of Rhu Gorse. It is always gratifying to know that my guests have enjoyed their stay here.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I shall never forget the way we were treated at Rhu Gorse. Grainne greeted us with tea and a selection of cake and scones. She did not have decaf coffee when we arrived but she got it for me the following day. There was no need for this as I would gladly drink peppermint tea but Grainne still went to the bother of getting it and it was not instant, it was really great decaf coffee she got for me. I had never had such great coffee before! Grainne was such a perfect host I was sorry we could not stay longer. We had also asked for a bathtub as we were driving 6 hours to get to Donegal and I must confess I was expecting problems in that regard as I have been let down in other establishments but I was wrong, all worked fine and I could have my relaxing soak in the water!
We loved the scenery, the dog, the cats and the fact that it was a quiet place where you could unwind and relax. The room was out of this world, a huge window looking over the lake and the marvellous gardens Grainne keeps. Oh and the beautiful trees! If you're looking for peace and quiet and immense beauty as well as a good irish welcome then this is the right place for you.
Thank you Grainne, from the bottom of our hearts, and we will be back for sure.

2  Thank rupamede
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of Rhu Gorse and I am delighted that you enjoyed the beauty of
the surrounding countryside. It is hard to beat!

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed here for a wedding in Lough Eske Castle. We arrived late and Grainne made us tea with delicious scones. The room was really big with ensuite and some of the best views I have ever seen. I would recommend this b&b for anyone visiting Donegal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ciarared
Reviewed 7 September 2012

From the moment I spoke with Grainne on the phone, Rhu Gorse promised to be something special. Tucked away in a lovely spot over looking Lough Eske and the surrounding mountains Rhu Gorse has a wonderful location and is perfect as a base for touring the local area, or attending a wedding (as we did) in nearby Harvey’s Point. Although a relatively recent build (about 20years) Rhu Gorse has the character and energy of a much older country residence. On arrival Grainne greeted us warmly and, as we settled in, she prepared a pot of fresh coffee, which was served with hot scones, cakes and fruit cake in the very comfortable lounge. We were sorely tempted to accept her invite and spend the evening by the large open fire but resisted in order to sample the culinary wares of the Olde Castle bar (Red Hugh’s) in nearby Donegal town. In our absence Grainne had closed the bedroom curtains and we entered a very warm and cosy home (a much appreciated detail in Donegal). Breakfast next morning was excellent. A wide selection of cereals and fresh fruit to choose from, the Irish breakfast was ‘full’ enough to last the day, and Grainne added little touches like the half grapefruit topped with fresh peaches and served with blueberries.

If you are looking for peace and quiet and the best of Irish hospitality Rhu Gorse is perfect. September marks the beginning of rutting season for the local wild deer – unfortunately we slept too soundly to hear anything!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the house have magnificent views
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. The deer are getting noisier by the night and today I spotted a red squirrel down in the trees at the front of the house.!This is a fantastic time of year to spot wild life around here. Thank you for your kind review.