“Room 334 Haunted!!”

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
“Room 334 Haunted!!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stay in room 334 with my wife and two young boys. Used pool in the central hotel. Stay nice EXCEPT during the day the bathroom door closed by itself. No big deal and thought nothing of it. Come night kids surprisingly unsettled. Only fell asleep after 11pm. We fell asleep for a few minutes before the TV went on. Remote resting in the bed side cupboard. My wife turn it off and its was immediately turned on again. This happened three times and I then pulled the plug out. Got into bed then the hairs on my back stood UP. The mattress edge lowered then it was evident three were now in the bed. Pressure was felt on the pillow beside my head. I shook my wife. I then heard movement at the bedside and the bottom of the divan bring kicked. It was a sleepless night. A presence definitely felt. Told the hotel reception in the morning. They were interested but at the same time poking fun at the situation.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank Des T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
scotland
Reviewed 24 January 2014

As stated by many, the hotel has the perfect location in the centre of town. Stayed for 3 nights with Caledonian. I had a huge comfortable room with most things I like in a hotel. No iron though and strangely no tissues in the bathroom or guide to the tv channels. There were 3 German channels but unusually no Sky t.v. Also only one power point. When the hotel offers free wifi I needed more to charge iphone , ipad, use straighteners etc and I was alone . Two occupants would have had to fight for the socket. Even with the January cold outside and my window wide open with the radiator turned off my room was too warm. Not sure how this happened. I was in room 243 . The noise from the music in the bar didn't bother me but it could be clearly heard in my room. As a non egg eating vegetarian my breakfast was restricted to cereal and toast or tomato ,as others tucked into generous portions of Irish bacon and sausages. Usually I can get mushrooms and some form of potatoes even a veggie sausage on occasion. Or if that isn't an option then there are usually cheeses, yoghurts , fruits etc. Nothing like that here. Coffee was hard to order as it was so busy but I didn't like to see one member of staff regularly running with hot tea and coffee pots on each morning.There were three nice choices of vegetarian meals on the a la carte dinner menu, none of which appeared on the printed coach tour menu. Each evening a meal was allocated to me without being asked if I wanted it and no option given, Food was ok but my preferred option never appeared. A general complaint was the meal was rather rushed. You daren't put your fork down as the rather fierce Maitre D watched her staff like a hawk . Three courses were served up and completed in well under an hour. Not great for digestion or relaxation . I didn't finish any of my mains in order not to hold others up.One gentleman on our table confessed he felt the same and didn't come down on the last evening. On the first night I was 10 minutes after the 7.00pm dinner time advised , mainly because I wandered into the wrong restaurant by mistake. and I was told rather curtly that they like people to be punctual. I know they are used to dealing with rowdy stag and hen parties but it is not easy walking alone into a restaurant full of people you don't know so I think she could have been a little more circumspect with her reprimand . I actually didn't find the staff as friendly as most of the reviews state but hey ho it was a wet , cold midweek in January and I know they work long , hard hours. I could not mark this hotel down as poor. Even with a 50% single supplement the deal I got was exceptional but in all honesty I have taken many similar trips in many locations in Ireland and have had much better experiences so it was a bit disappointing . However it is a lovely town with wecoming locals and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Not sure how to avoid the heat or the noise in room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
OisinMcAbbeyHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review and comments. I have passed on your comments on the vegetarian options for breakfast to the manager of the restaurant. We try and ensure that all dietary needs of guests are looked after and will follow up on you comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and hope that you will stay again. Kindest regards
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

My Boyfriend booked this hotel for two nights for my Birthday when we arrived we were given room 319 I must say I never been in a room like that before it was stunning,relaxing and so comfortable even the bathroom was out of this world with a Jacuzzi bath and then a separate shower.. we ate in the bar the first night it was gorgeous and not expensive the second night our meal was in the restaurant which was included in our package and again absolutely wonderful we ordered room service the following morning and the waitress was at our room door at the exact time we ordered it for. We both loved our stay in this hotel and we agreed we will definitely be here for two night for Valentine's. I can't wait.. Thank yous so much the abbey.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Emma C
Thank you for your fantastic review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again at Valentines. Nathan Carter is playing a live concert that night in the Hotel and it promises to be a great weekend. Many thanks
Donegal,Ireland
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here in November, for a family members birthday. We had dinner included in our rate, which was very reasonably priced. The food in the restaurant was ok. There was about 25-30 of us, I didn't like anything on the menu so the waitress offered me another choice, that was helpful though the curry was very bland. I would have ordered the steak but at a €10 supp, I thought this was a bit steep as you could only get it cooked rare, medium or well, there was no in-between allowed, chef's orders!! I think if you are paying an extra supplement you should be able to have your steak cooked the way you like it. I have never come across this ever, and I have been out in many a large group when dinning. Breakfast in them morning was lovely and quick service.

The rooms are grand, it was super hot when we got in, so no complaints there. The bathroom looked newly done up, and was very clean. The mattress in the room was a bit lumpy.

All in all, it was a grand stay, if your out in Donegal town to sample all the nightlife.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CAG1980
Thank you for your review and feedback. I am sorry to hear that the dinner menu was not to your satisfaction. I hope your family member enjoyed their birthday calibrations and that the rest of the group enjoyed their stay. We look forward to having you back at the Abbey Hotel in the future.
Kindest regards
Glenties, Ireland
Reviewed 12 January 2014

What a great hotel this is my husband & I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel on the 4th Jan 2014 & we were not disappointed everything from the lovely comfortable warm reception area to the room & restaurant were superb, the staff were so helpful, friendly & welcoming. the room was large, warm, clean & the bed was so comfortable, the restaurant was also superb from its lovely comfortable surroundings to the absolutely great food, our meal was fantastic hot, fresh, plenty of it & what great value a 3 course meal with a free bottle of wine was 59.95 euro's the staff were attentive & our meal was served promptly I cannot recommend this lovely hotel highly enough for any visitor to Donegal this is the place to stay it is central with buses right outside the door to places such as Derry, Letterkenny , Sligo, Galway & many more if you are coming to Co Donegal give this lovely hotel a try I'm sure you will not be disappointed, to Danny the general manager & all the staff I say a big thank you for a lovely stay & 10 stars Abbey Hotel well done.

Room Tip: as this is a busy bustling hotel back rooms are quieter just ask the staff & they would be more...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jackieg3030
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is very important to us that all our guests have enjoyed their stay at the hotel. I will pass on your very gracious comments to the management and staff. Kindest regards.
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stopped in for dinner and a night back in September. Wonderful ambiance, attentive but not hovering staff and very enjoyable food. Very centrally located to several great "trad" places including The Forge Pub and my favorite The Reel Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel M
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stop with us. We hope to see you again next time you are in Donegal. Regards, The Abbey Hotel
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here on New Year's Eve 2013 and we were allocated a lovely large room with a big bathroom with two sinks (three girls sharing). I had requested a quiet room and can confirm I didn't hear a sound all night. Location is excellent with bars and restaurants all within working distance. One downfall, I didn't find the staff very friendly and indeed receptionist never even asked if everything was alright when we checked out. The hotel does not have parking so additional cost may be incurred for this. As I stayed New Year's Eve, parking on the square was free. There was a queue in the morning for breakfast, as hotel seemed to struggle with the volume of people staying that night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street as rooms facing the main street can be noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed you stay and that the room was to your satisfaction. For future reference hotel guests can get a parking pass from reception and use the car park at the pier free of charge. I will pass on your other comments to the head of the relevant departments. Kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!