“Great place to stay when touring”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This charming hotel is situated overlooking the Diamond area in the centre of Donegal Town. We arrived here with Canadian relatives to stay one night while showing them the sights of Donegal. While booking the room over the phone the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. This positive attitude continued when we checked in the following day. The rooms we were given were large and well-equipped with lots of storage space. The bathroom had a bath and an in-bath shower facility although my wife found the shower a bit slippery - perhaps supplying a non-slip bathmat as standard would help. There was an iron store in the corridor near our room for guests' use which contained an iron and ironing board - this seems a good idea to me rather than cluttering up the room!
Breakfast was very good with a range of cereals (including porridge) and fruit juices. I would have liked a better selection of fresh/tinned fruit as well rather than just grapefruit.
There was a range of freshly cooked hot items served by a pleasant waitress who gave large helpings.
The hotel also offers free wifi - an essential for the modern traveller. The hotel has little parking on-site, but they do give free parking at an extensive public carpark 100 metres from the hotel.
Overall this hotel is easy to recommend. It has a central location, the rooms are good, the staff are friendly, the food is very good and the prices are very reasonable. What's not to like!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel overlooking Donegal Bay - it may be quieter than one overloo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Oisin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Hotel. We are very happy that your group enjoyed your time in Donegal and that you would recommend the hotel to others. We hope that you will visit again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

this is a very welcoming hotel and right in the centre of a busy and fun filled town.The hotel is well designed and the bar and lounge area are excellent .good rooms and receptionists happy and helpful.breakfast service was fairly slapdash ,and we had to help ourselves to cutlery napkins etc. only negative.Live music in the bar of great quality most nights.
we will be back

Room Tip: higher room best as traffic noise and music could be invasive
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Hotel . We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family met up to have a birthday meal for my younger sister. It was an excellent three course meal. I had a platter of cooked fish for the main course and it was excellent. The Management provided White and Red wine at no extra cost. the staff were attentive and the meal was served quickly. Great value in todays competitive environment. This hotel is one of the old reliables but is best avoided at disco weekends with drunks becoming a nuisance.

Room Tip: Avoid sleeping in the front as there is constant nightime traffic and drunken revellers.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Oisin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Hotel and the Market House Restaurant. We are very happy that your family and younger sister had a nice birthday meal. I will pass on your kind comments to all the members of staff.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Very busy weekend in Donegal. Abbey Hotel packed. Nevertheless the staff were brilliant, friendly and helpful. The place was buzzing with a festival, wedding, hen night you name it - it was happening. A wonderful hotel somewhere you could go travel alone to and yet have a ball!

Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review of The Abbey Hotel. The festival weekend had lots going on and we are very happy that your group enjoyed you time in Donegal town.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I thought the location was superb.

I enjoyed my little attic type room with a view of the river and the best thing was the huge array of birds that roost nearby...it was reminiscent of a bird sanctuary.

The pub cafe was a ripoff big time. I paid 7 Euros for a Caesar salad and it was about the size of a saucer. First and last time I ate there obviously. The breakfast however was very pleasant and the room where it was served attractive and the staff were pleasant.

I enjoyed sitting in the lobby and talking to people and have coffee in there like many others did between walking excursions.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room like I did.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Seachickster

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your room and the view of the River and birds and your stay in the Abbey Hotel. We hope that our will return and stay with us in Donegal again soon.
Kindest regards,
The Abbey Hotel.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We had a spacious room overlooking the inlet. The bed was comfortable with plenty of room to place bags. We only had breakfast which was very good and all staff provided efficient and courteous service.
Would stay there again

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Pstevo1

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Abbey Hotel and we hope that your will stay again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was very disappointed on my visit. I booked a family room (1 double bed+ 4 single beds) but when i booked in my room only had a double bed and 2 singles. I contacted reception only to be told my Family room had been given to someone else. I ended up having to split my family between 2 rooms. Our room was small and pokey, and extremely hot, even with the windows open. Air con is needed. Our room was also above the kitchen fans and because we had to keep the window open, the smells coming in were repulsive. The beds were uncomfortable too. I was expecting to be compensated for the room mix up, only to be told i wouldn't be charged for the second room! CHEEK! I however cannot fault the staff. they are a credit to the Abbey.
I was at the Abbey for my brothers wedding this time, i was disappointed with the main meal and the evening buffet was served cold. I was previously at the Abbey for a Hen do and the food and room was so much better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 73ELAINE

We are very sorry and apologies for any disruption cause to you during your visit to The Abbey Hotel. All your comments have been noted and have been passed on to the Hotel Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
Bay View Hotel
Bay View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Killybegs

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!