“Frustrating ”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Central New Jersey
“Frustrating ”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

While the grounds and rooms are gorgeous, I was often brushed aside for other guests with different packages. I was told I needed to wait for bar service, while waiter took care of others. Beyond frustrating was losing my eye glasses. I lost in my room. While I understand this is my fault, I had my next hotel call 2x. I was told the room was occupied and no one could look. No one could look when house keeping went in?

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank hilarymaris
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking time to post your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed our wonderful grounds and the quality of our guestrooms but I am both concerned and disappointed to hear that you felt frustrated with service in the bar. I can assure you that this is not our usual high standard as we pride ourselves in efficent and friendly service by staff who genuinely care about the needs of each and every guest. However, I will follow this up with management in order to ensure that our service standards are maintained at all times in future. I'm sorry to hear that you misplaced your spectacles and I have been in touch with our housekeeping manager who will let me know if and when they are found. If you would like to contact me personally on +353 7497 25100 or by email at mark.knox@solishotels.com I would be delighted to assist you with this and with any other concerns you may have. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I found this place when I was looking for a great hotel to stay for my first trip to Donegal. I was not disappointed! The staff was very accommodating, and couldn't have been more helpful. And the facilities themselves were simply outstanding! Our room was huge, and the bathroom had a double vanity, which is something I've only got at home. The room was clean, and the place was relaxing and quiet. Everything is reasonably close (i.e. restaurants, entertainment...), though the place is really in the 'middle of nowhere'. When you go to the lobby bar, ask for Greg. He was very charming, amusing, and helpful. He had some great recommendations for things to do, places to see, etc. This place is definitely a keeper!

Room Tip: Get a room in the back. There were two (2) weddings out of the three (3) days we were there, and I n...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Lough Eske Castle recently and I am delighted that you chose to stay with us during your first visit to Donegal! A sincere thank you for such a wonderful review - we are all thrilled that you had such a great experience - that you found our facilities to be "outstanding" and that you consider the Lough Eske Castle to be "a keeper"! We really appreciate your high recommendation - especially in relation to our much complimented staff (such as Greg in the lobby bar) as they all genuinely care and consistently strive to make your experience with us that little bit extra special! I do hope that you will return to stay with us on your second trip to Donegal - which I trust will be sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed here for two nights. All I can say is James odonnell at the bar made us feel like royalty. The hotel is stunning but no resort will work without staff like this. The management need to appreciate the star they have delivering a personal and professional service on a daily basis!! Will return without doubt .

• Stayed April 2013
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at Lough Eske Castle. It was our pleasure to welcome you for your two night stay and I'm delighted you were so well looked after by all of our staff - and especially by James in the Gallery Bar who is thrilled to get such positive feedback. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Lough Eske sometime very soon.

Kind regards,

Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Had the most wonderful experience last Saturday having a traditional afternoon tea a la Dutchess of Bedford! The menu gave the history of "Afternoon Tea" together with the choice of roughly 10 different varieties of tea,beautifully presented open sandwiches, scones,muffins and cakes.The Wedgewood china was most attractive on which it was served.The staff were most friendly.and courteous.
Will definitely repeat the expreience and highly recommend it .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your "Afternoon Tea" experience with us recently and for your very kind comments. It's wonderful to receive such positive feedback and it's nice to hear that you enjoyed the history element of the menu as well as the overall presentation and service. Thank you also for your recommendation and I look forward to your next visit.

Kind regrads,

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We went to Lough Eske on our honeymoon in November. You get the 5 star treatment as soon as you drive in to the carpark. Staff are very pleasant and very well presented wearing Magee tweed suits. The entrance hall and adjoining drawing rooms are spectacular yet very homely. The leisure centre is beautiful with a wonderful spa attached. It is very expensive but well worth it for a special occasion. We dined in the restaurant twice for evening dinner, we enjoyed it thoroughly, the food was simply amazing. The breakfast is a wonderful experience. Your chef cooks you pancakes, eggs or whatever you like to your specification. The bar staff were so friendly and the live music from two very talented guys on two nights was superb. If you go here you won't want to leave. I did not want to come home. Writing this review makes me want to go back. Maybe we'll go back for our first anniversary....Hint hint husband!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your husband to Lough Eske Castle for your honeymoon last November and we are all delighted that you both had such a wonderful experience. Thank you sincerely for such a wonderful review regarding so many aspects of your stay which make up the "experience" that we like to give to each and every one of our guests. We aim to make your stay both memorable and enjoyable and the fact that you "didn't want to go home" is a wonderful endorsement of our high service standards. Finally, I hope your husband takes "the hint" so we can look forward to welcoming you back to the castle for your first anniversary later in the year!

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have stayed in this Hotel many times. We are continually drawn back to the luxury of the hotel, the beautiful setting and grounds, the excellent food but also the impeccable service.

All of the staff are genuinely friendly. You will never pass a member of housekeeping without them saying a a friendly hello. The reception staff are warm and welcoming and the restaurant and bar staff are excellent.

We hope to stay her again in future.

Room Tip: the rooms on the main corridor off the reception can be a little noisy during the day escpecially ar...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your visit to the castle recently. It was our pleasure to welcome you back as a loyal guest and your compliments concerning the hotel and our staff are very much appreciated. I'm delighted that you intend to stay with us again in the near future and look forward to welcoming you on your return.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you are looking for a top class 5 star experience then look no further. The castle dates back to the 1600's but has been lovingly restored since changing ownership in 2000. The restoration has been very cleverly done, keeping the old work charm of the place but at the same time including every modern convenience. The rooms are well appointed with huge comfy beds and the bathroom with rainwater shower is stocked with wonderful Mulvenna products.
The staff are exceptional, friendly, polite and professional.
We had a couples spa during our stay which again I couldn't fault. Afterwards the therapist took the time to explain how my massage had went and showed me little exercises to do having guessed what type of job I do!
The food was very tasty especially the Donegal Lamb and the food in the gallery bar was very reasonably priced.
The location is stunning and the staff are very helpful with hiking maps. There are also bicycles available if you fancy a cycle.
Bring a good book, curl up beside the roaring log fire and forget the world exists!!

• Stayed March 2013
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a glowing review of your recent stay with us and for your many wonderful compliments regarding the food, your spa treatment, your room, the location, our activities and especially regarding our friendly and efficient staff. I'm delighted that you had such a great experience and that you truly enjoyed the old world charm of the castle combined with our contemporary style that maximises modern day luxury and comfort for our guests. I have passed your very kind comments to each department with a special mention for the team at Spa Solís with whom you were very impressed - as always, everyone is thrilled to receive great feedback such as yours, so again, thank you sincerely for that.
It's was lovely to read your headline stating "I didn't want to leave..." so I hope you will return to stay with us again in the not too distant future when you can once again, as you say, "curl up beside the roaring log fire and forget the world exists"!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!