“Still my fav hotel!”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of my favourite hotel..never disappoints ..the staff make this hotel soo special..from Breda in the spa to Niamh in the restuarant it was a lovely overnight break..looking forward to my next stay in January..

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Teaginny
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to back Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience.

It's wonderful to hear that we are still your favourite hotel and that you are planning another return visit for January. We look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,453)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Ok, so this review is wayyyyy overdue. My wife and I go married 2 years ago on October 8th, 2011 and we were recently reminiscing about our honeymoon in Ireland. We literally got off the plane and started our round the isle driving tour. Luckily I managed to not get us in to any accidents. We're from the US and have never driven on that side. We experienced the wonderful Irish culture and made a ton of memories. Towards the end of our trip we stayed at the Lough Eske. We were lucky enough to be in one of the original rooms of the castle. We highly recommend this room. I can't remember the room # but if your looking at the castle from the outside it's the one with the rounded windows on the 2nd floor. As soon as we arrived my wife and I were feeling the love. The staff was amazing. We stayed there for a couple of days and never left the grounds. The meals were delicious and they even gave us a special dessert and they wrote Happy Honeymoon with chocolate on the plate. From hanging out by the roaring fire downstairs on a cold night night playing checkers to being serenaded by a couple of very talented musicians in the bar. We actually stay in touch with them to this day. The grounds were gorgeous and my wife and I really enjoyed taking walks. All in all we couldn't been happier with the time we shared with everyone at the Lough Eske. Thank you! We look forward to coming back.

The Topanga Knolls

Room Tip: Stay in the castle. Look at our review for the room we stayed in. It is magical.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TopangaKnolls
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle during your honeymoon trip to Ireland in 2011. And congratulations on your two year anniversary :-)

We are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable and memorable experience with us and we were delighted to be part of your special time in Ireland.

Your many kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by all of us and I have shared your comments with the entire team.

I'm delighted to hear that you intend to return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming both of you back to Donegal and to Lough Eske Castle in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Booked this as a special treat for myself and an American guest here on business. Wanted evening of relaxation. Couldn't book spa day before, later told by receptionist they recommend booking 6-8weeks in advance!
After spending a small fortune on dinner and drinks and reciting to our rooms were informed TVA were broken. So no tv to watch movie on, no DVD players available, no spa available and having had a drink with dinner we had no way into local town for alternative entertainment.
Understand tv issue was beyond their control but they had been down for days and we could have been informed on check in- would have gone out for dinner. Complimentary bottle of wine was poor substitute when we had nothing to do all evening.
The hotel issued me an apology and upgrade on my next visit 'subject to availability', but I couldn't justify spending the money on another night there, especially when you factor in food and drink.
Real shame as hotel itself is stunning.
Disappointed :(

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Aoibheann C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle and thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

I'm disappointed to hear that you encountered a number of issues during your stay and would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you experienced. Please be assured that these short-comings do not reflect our usual high standards and I will be following each one up with senior management in order to help prevent such issues from occurring again in future.

I sincerely hope that you will return for another stay in the not too distant future and give us a second chance to show you the true five star experience for which we are so well known.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 11/24/2013 in room 114. The room itself was gorgeous, with every amenity we could desire. The grounds are gorgeous, the wifi worked great to keep in touch with loved ones back home....and the pool/spa......wow! We took advantage of the pool and thermal spa and enjoyed every moment. We had drinks and starters late in the evening in the bar, and the staff there were friendly, welcoming and fun. Only wished we lived closer to ensue a return visit. Lovely on every count, and a definite destination resort if you're looking for elegant and romantic!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christynbj

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle during your recent trip to Ireland and for taking the time to share your experience.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and it's great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our facilities so much.

Thank you also for your lovely recommendation and I do hope you will return to stay with us again during your next visit to Ireland.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Arrived early September from Thursday to Sunday and were politely greeted by friendly Receptionist. Although we arrived two hours before normal check-in time our room was immediately available. When we had made our original booking we advised that on the Thursday evening we would eat in the Gallery Bar & Lobby Lounge where no Reservations were necessary but prebooked a table for the Friday and Saturday Evening at 7.00pm.Upon Checking We were advised we did have a booking for Saturday night for 7.00pm but none for Friday Night. We had to settle for 8.15pm on Friday.
As we had stayed at this Hotel twice before we knew exactly where our room was located and drove to nearest point to entrance door from Car Park.
The room was large with King Size bed and furniture was more than ample with walk-in Wardrobe. Two easy Chairs and Settee were provided with a good size Coffee Table.
The Bathroom was Spacious with Bath, two Wash Basins, Mirrors and Shaving |Mirror. Shampoos,Body Lotions, hairdryer were also provided with Dressing Gowns. The Shower was Conventional with Rain Shower as extra feature.
W noticed the Flat Screen Television was not working with an error message on the screen and reported this to Reception. The explained they were working with their TV Company to provide extra Channels which was effecting the TV system throughout the Hotel and hoped to have the matter resolved soon. We would have thought this should have been mentioned upon Check-in.
We dined in the Gallery Bar that Evening from a comprehensive Menu with Wine from their Wine List. The Waitress Emir was friendly, attentive making good eye Contact and after introduction called us by name.
The food arrived well presented and hot and proved to be delicious.
The Wine a Sauvignon Blanc was very good, as was the Very Good Coffee.
Upon return to our Room we found a letter slipped below the Door confirming the Problem with the Television Facility. (This same note was received on subsequent evenings up to the time we Checked out).
Breakfast in Cedars Grill was excellent with Tea or Coffee, Toast, fresh Fruit, Cereals and a selection of Cold Meets from the Buffet.
Cooked breakfast was also included and included Eggs and Potato Bread cooked to order by the attending Chef with Hot plates containing Bacon, Mushrooms, Black/White Pudding, Tomatoes etc. Overall the Breakfast was excellent.
We dined in Cedars Grill on Friday and Saturday Evenings and the Service was excellent. We were immediately shown to our table with Menus, Specials and Wine/Beverage List.
We selected Sauvignon Blanc and Chose Filet Steak for ourMeal. The Wine arrived immediately and proved to be good. The Meal arrived within about twenty Minutes, was very well presented,piping hot and came with side dishes of mixed vegetables all of which were delicious.
We passed on Dessert and opted for Coffee and Irish Coffee which once again were Excellent. The standard of service in Cedars was what you would expect from this establishment.
Without appearing to dwell on the Negative of Non Working Televisions throughout the Hotel I responded to a Posting On Facebook by the Hotel covering another matter, stating I hoped the Service Would be resumed asap. Their responce in the form of an apology stated they had experienced a Lightening Strike and were working to have the system Restored.
Overall the Standard of Service fom the Restaurant and Bar Staff was excellent.
Friend of ours on our recomendation were Booking in the Week after us and we shall be checking with them on their experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank staffordj2

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you for your third visit to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Your detailed review is wonderful and I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and service and that you had such an enjoyable stay.

Sincerest apologies for the issue with your TV - I agree that you should have been informed at check-in. Fortunately, the system was fully restored immediately after your stay.

Each of your kind comments are genuinely appreciated and I have shared them with the entire team. I do hope that you will return for another visit sometime very soon and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle on that occasion.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We have traveled the world and stayed at many wonderful hotel but this one tops them all! It was one of the best hotels stays ever for my husband and I. From the time that the bellman took our luggage we received warm, gracious hospitality from every employee that we encountered. We especially loved the Gallery Bar, where we ate dinner each night. The menu selections were ample.The main dining room served complete dinners but we prefer a smaller meal, thus we chose the Gallelry Bar. The buffet breakfast was sumptuous and delicious. I can't say enough on how wonderful this hotel is!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the gardens which gave us a nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ms Elliott,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle during your recent trip to Ireland. We are thrilled to learn that you consider us better than any hotel you have stayed in the world over! What a wonderful compliment, thank you!

I have shared your very kind review with the entire team who are thrilled - we are all genuinely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

If you return for another visit to Ireland, I do hope you will come back to see us again at Lough Eske Castle.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Booked this hotel for a romantic treat for my husband's birthday. When we arrived and were checking in we were told that no food was being served in the restaurant or bar. We were very disappointed with this as we were not planning to leave hotel as we were only having a short stay. They did offer to book us a table in town but as we both wanted a drink we were not sure what to do. No shuttle service was ever mentioned to us.
We were shown to our room and how disappointed where we. Not quite sure if you would call it a court yard room as there was no view of anything. The ceilings were slanted with velux windows and the room was tiny. Only in the room ten minutes when electric went out. No warning given. Went to reception to tell them how unsatisfactory all this was from a five star hotel and the girl was just not bothered.
Did not know whether to expect breakfast the next morning. Went down for breakfast and was welcomed by a guy saying "welcome for your candlelit breakfast". My husband and I could not believe it. Was awful. Not a great selection and the only warm part was the egg the man cooked in front of us. Coffee, toast,sausages etc were stone
cold. Absolutely disgusting.
We could not wait to check out and go home. When paying we were not even asked about our stay as our faces probably said it all.
Overall it was a terrible stay. Although the problems they had may have been unavoidable the treatment we got was terrible. Not as much as a complimentary drink was offered to us.
Not how a five star hotel should treat paying guests. Will not be booking again as other friendlier hotels in Donegal.

• Stayed: November 2013
6  Thank peedle
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle recently to celebrate the occasion of your husband's birthday and for taking time to compile your very detailed review. Your valuable feedback is genuinely appreciated and I have shared it with the entire team.

As you will understand, we had a number of unpredictable problems including a major power outage during your stay. However, I am very disappointed to hear of the poor level of customer service you received in relation to the various issues you encountered - especially regarding your room, cancellation of dinner at Cedars, the standard of food at breakfast and the lack of personal care that was shown to you both.

Please be assured that these short comings do not reflect our usual high standards and I would like to offer both of you my sincere apologies. I will be following these problems up with senior management in order to help improve our service standards in future.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the castle in the not too distant future to give you the true five star experience for which we are so well known.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!