“Excellent< Just 1 Small Problem”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Hotel was excellent, service was great in all aspects and room (particularly bathroom) was wonderful. Ate in restaurant one night which was loveley. Cant see lough eske which was a bit of a dissapointment although its not far away. Also the spa was a bit small (especially the swimming pool which got easily crowded), also no jacuzzi. All in all though a wonderful hotel which looks a lot better once you drive around to the front of the hotel from the car park. Just as a side point, although this hotel was lovely if you did want to stay right by the lough side there is a 4* hotel called the Harveys Point Hotel about a mile from this hotel which looked very nice and directly overlooks the lough.

2  Thank 5,994

Reviewed 27 August 2008

I have recently stayed at the hotel as part of a wedding party - and I really must say how fabulous this hotel is!!! It's in a gorgeous location, away from the town centre - in its own gorgeous grounds - the gardens are so well kept! There are great statues around the grounds (my little boy fell in love with the dragon there!)

The staff are fabulous, the service is 5 star all the way!

Well done to all the hotel staff/managers - and thank you for making the wedding party such a memorable occasion. The food was divine! And the Wedding room looks fantastic!

I can't praise this venue enough - if I ever get married, I'll be there!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Amethyst1
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We had a family weeding reception at this hotel on August 19th and would highly recomend it . It was exceptional in every way. The service was 5* and Catherine Doyle and her staff couldnt have done more to make our day such a wonderful expereience.
Many of us stayed in the hotel that night and we found the rooms luxurious. Many took the opportunity of the leisure centre the next morning and the buffet breakfast was more than anyone colud ask. An all round brilliant hotel in a beautiful location

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank RaeMcEalrea
Reviewed 20 August 2008

This Castle was absolutely amazing from service to the finest 5* details in the room.

We had a family wedding there yesterday and everything about this place we loved. The Castle is set back very privately on Lough Eske and I would highly recommend this for a night away or a Wedding!

Catherine Doyle was our Catering Manager who helped organise the wedding and co-ordinated everything superbly.
She was amazing & I would highly recommend working with her. All the staff were extremely friendly throughout the Hotel!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank fmcelrea
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I booked this castle for a romantic well deserved break however my girlfriend was somewhat putt off after reading the reviews on this page. There was no need, Lough Eske Castle is my new piece of heaven. It is located outside the town of Donegal, you do need a car but its only €7 in a taxi so we had the best of both worlds travelling into town for the mad buzz on the second night.
Solis sits on the edge of the lake, a pebble lane winds its way up to the door where a door man clad in tweed makes you feel that you are the only Couple in the world.
Check in was a doodle I had booked the Garden view Room which was adjacent to the hotel WOW, I loved the spacious contemporary look. I saw some of the ordinary rooms in the hotel when the housekeepers were cleaning and they look more castles orientated and probably cosier but hey the garden view is the business. I read a review regarding the stable rooms which were opposite us..... Its only 20metres from the reception.

WE dined in the restaurant the first night, I had steak which was perfectly cooked and Rose had turbot fillet, our waitress treated us like long lost friends and gave us extra desert. The food was beautiful. The service excellent. Paddy the main barman was great craic and penned out a list of activities for us to do the following day.
Next day we didn’t venture too far...only to the spa, where we both had a massage. Now I really loved this as the two massage table were next to each other. I had never had a couples massage before so this was an experience. You have your own private shower etc, there are also two massage chairs side by side for pedicures (not fond of anyone at my feet so skipped this)

We then relaxed in one of the many lounges, and read a book, had afternoon tea, followed be a cool pint and decided that yes this is indeed the life.
That night we ate in a restaurant outside the town, it was recommended by one of the girls in the hotel – the Salmon Inn, we had sea food which was delicious, then to the Castle bar for a bit of criac, When we got back to the hotel there was a traditional group playing in the downstairs bar, of course we had to give that a lash too.

Breakfast was over the top, lots of everything from smoothes to baked hams everything, my porridge was freshly made to order and rose had pancakes if you wanted it - you got it.

Overall this was one of the best hotels that I have stayed in it is definitely worthy of its five stars

1  Thank RomanticBoy
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We stayed at this hotel for three nights during a recent trip around Ireland.
The hotel is a long way to town, so without a car you'd be stuck there.
The property looks wonderful from the outside and we were met by a very professional and friendly doorman. Check-in process was very good and we were shown to our Junior Suite. The room was very nice although there were a few problems with the room. Most annoyingly, the bathroom door (a fancy glass one) made a huge bang from the hinges every time it was opened or closed. We mentioned it to the hotel twice, but noting was done. Out of frustration, I asked the night maintainence guy to look at it. He said that he'd heard about it before and the parts we on order. So why would they rent out the room?
Service in the bar was terrible even though there were only three tables occupied at the time. When the food finally arrived, it was very good.
This could be a great hotel but until they address the staffing and process issues, it isn't a five-star experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Lough Eske is an amazing stay,arrived late on Friday and checked in straight away, with no problems. A bit of difficulty finding the room, as we werent told to go outside.
The room was massive, with double doors leading out into the garden. The bathroom was bigger than my double bedroom at home.
On the second day we got room service, Lough Eske offer only organic food from local suppliers, so I had high expectations. The food was not piping hot when it arrived but fine to eat.
The swimming pool is lovely and relaxing with a key card needed to access the lobby and then the changing rooms. Towels are provided with shampoo and conditoner. There is a bad finish on the jacuzzi which did result in me cutting my arm.
I would definatly recommend this place for a relaxing and quiet time away, easily found, beautiful scenery, nice bars, with pool darts and a library, fires lit in the main sitting areas, beautiful restaurant.
Well worth the trip and I cannot wait to return.

1  Thank Magpie2501
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!