“Magical experience!”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

i stayed with my husband and two children(4 year old & 7 month old) on 30th March, it was a surprise for my little son whose birthday it was as he is just fascinated by castles. from the drive up i knew it was going to be special for him and us and we were not disappointed!

at checkin the staff were very attentive to the fact it was his birthday, really friendly and chatty, the hotel itself is just breathtakingly beautiful and our room was just huge! as was the bathroom, i really could get used to such luxury! In the room the staff had left a beautiful note for our arrival as well as a giant cookie and chocs for my little son as a birthday treat which he loved!

we decided to eat in the room as with two young children dinner in a restaurant can be quite stressful for us and unfair on other paying customers! the food was really tasty and beautifully presented, again the staff were extremely accommodating and attentive, it really is what makes this place special.

my little boy and his dad used the swimming pool and really enjoyed it, we really liked the grounds of the castle with the beautiful sculptures that we enjoyed discovering with our little son. for anyone thinking of staying do not hesitate it really is a wonderful place with very special people who helped make it a day to remember for us all... thankyou ....we will be back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sharon n
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to welcome you and your family to Solís Lough Eske Castle on the occasion of your little boy's birthday and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and the level of personal service you received and that you had such an enjoyable stay. It's also wonderful to hear that your son was so fascinated with the castle :-)

Your kind comments and recommendation are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and it's great to hear that you intend to return for another visit in the not too distant future.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again for your next visit.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,477)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I have stayed here twice...so far.

The rooms are lovely - for the most part - although on our last stay we noted our room could have done with a wee touch up, few chips out of furniture and scuff marks on the walls, etc. Apart from that have few complaints - the rooms are an excellent size, bathrooms are great, bed very comfortable...all good.
The food is also superb, very good breakfast, afternoon tea was lovely, bar food and restaurant food all very enjoyable.
And the pool, steam room, etc in the spa are excellent too, as is the setting - beautiful.

Definitely worth a visit. Hope to return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyroneslittlesthobo
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently for your second visit and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you that you had such an enjoyable stay and thank you sincerely for your valuable feedback. Please be assured that I have taken your comments regarding your room decor seriously and your feedback will be used to help improve our standards in the future.

I do hope that you will return for your third visit in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle on that occasion.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Lough Eske is lovely and has a historic home at its center but - it's not a castle nor was its historic part ever a castle. Don't go to Lough Eske looking for a night in an Irish medieval castle.
It has some interesting and rather medieval looking constructions around it - and a beautiful tiered garden to walk through - but the hotel is built around a very Victorian Anglo-Irish summer house - dark wood abounds.
The rooms and dining areas are of recent construction and very nice. There is a small pub separate from the main building that's small, warm and welcoming and a lovely boat ride round the loch is available.
It depends on what you're looking for - we stopped for an evening and it seemed more a place to go for a week and play golf.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saramatthews

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were impressed with our grounds, facilities and service and that you had an enjoyable stay.

The original part of the existing castle is indeed of Victorian origin having been built in 1861 and was fully restored in 2006/2007 having laid in ruins since 1939. There was an older Plantation house on the same site prior to this, dating to the 1600s and the O'Donnell Clan, the founding fathers of Donegal, had been based here at Lough Eske since the early 1400s.

The spa is located on the same footprint and in a similar to style to the old Victorian Galsshouse at the centre of the walled garden, across from the old worker's cottages which are now our Garden Suites. This combines nicely with the main castle to provide our guests with that 'olde worlde' experience.

Your kind comments and interest in the castle are genuinely appreciated and I do hope that you will return for another visit sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed one night at this hotel. It was just perfect. The staff all speak to you and make you feel very welcome. Dinner and breakfast was really really excellent. We were so sorry to have to leave. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Kerry A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle and for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and thank you sincerely for your wonderful comments.

We are thrilled that you cannot wait to return and we look forward to welcoming both of you back to the castle sometime very soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Absolutely loved this trip from start to finish.....everything was perfect and all topped off with the wonderful genuine service by the staff and attention to detail. I honestly do not know why this is not the #1 rated hotel in Donegal.
Upon arrival here I was in awe with the scenery and character if the castle and its surroundings.......set on the beautiful Lough Eske, although only 2 mins off the main road (really not hard to find at all) you feel like you are tucked away in a hidden forest.
I would like to make note of the male, (forgive me as I have forgotten his name but he had an English accent) member of staff on the lobby all weekend as he just made our stay that extra special from arrival to upon leaving again he was always there to help and genuinely interested on how were were etc. He was also filled with knowledge of the castle and stories about it....only to ready to help with any of our requests/needs.

We were in the courtyard rooms, which I was apprehensive about as originally we had booked a deluxe suite but due to having to change date last minute the courtyard rooms were the only available option, however I am glad to say I was suitably impressed with the size and character, I will definitely be booking these upon my next trip.

I visited with 4 friends, we all made use of the lovely spa, had dinner in Cedars restaurant and went to the bar on the Friday evening for cocktails which were fantastic as was the live entertainment, such a relaxed atmosphere.

Breakfast the next morning was again fantastic, omelette and pancakes cooked to order and a wide range of different style breakfasts.

Really I cannot say enough about this hotel and do feel that it really was the service and character that made it that bit extra special....will without a doubt be back here very soon.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are fabulous - really big with carpeted and tiles area - felt more like a suite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bookie3

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience. I have passed your compliments to everyone, including Allistair from front of house who you give a special mention to.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lough Eske in the very near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed on a living social voucher and loved every minute! Beautiful surroundings, excellent food and friendly staff. What more could you ask for on a break away? Special thanks to Lydia for her help.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosiep49

Dear Guest,

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team, especially Lydia who you give a special mention to.

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the near future.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I travel all over the world with my job and stay at fantastic hotels along the way....... And I have to honestly say this hotel is outstanding in every way... Pure luxury, elegance and hospitality. My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and I didn't want to leave. The staff are superb, irish hospitality at its best! The food is 5 star and the rooms, grounds and spa have no fault whatsoever! My only advice would be upon making your reservation book your meal in the restaurant as when we got there there was only a 9pm slot left for the following evening and also book your spa treatment in advance as these can fill up very quickly....
My only noted point is that upon arrival there was no door man to help with bags up the steps and in a 5 star resort I would have expected to be greeted at the door, however there was a concierge to take our bags to our room.... Overall our experience and stay here was FANTASTIC! I love this place , i will recommend lough eske to all i know in all corners of the world and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle recently. We were delighted to welcome you to Donegal and are thrilled to learn that you consider us to be 'outstanding in every way'!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and please be assured that I have taken your comments regarding the doorman seriously and will ensure your valuable feedback is used to help improve our service standards in future.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming both of you back to Lough Eske in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!