A beautifully small and quaint castle that hosts this glorious hotel. The hotel is surrounded by the attractive lake, 10 minute’s drive from Donegal town and in an area of outstanding natural beauty that’s suites a fly drive holiday.
Check in was very quick and whilst our porter took our bags to the room he explained everything to us. This was something different and I liked it from the usual reception staff welcome.
Welcome treats where laid upon us in the huge room. The room size was enormous (Junior suite) with a stunning bathroom. I really enjoy the separate wash facilities, shower, and the lavender toiletries. There were a few things in the bathroom which I prized for example the soap holder...not your typical glass/plastic holder…but I will leave this for you to discover.
The room was opened planned with a bed room (1st TV), wardrobe space, separate living room (2nd TV) and the bathroom. Everything was very clean. Mini bar was very basic. Night time turn down service was at request only.
We used the spa area and had treatments. The private spa suite where we had our treatment together was very comfortable and just the right temperature. The spa treatment itself was one of the best I have ever had; and I have had a great many! I was left speechless at how well it was carried out…the girls where fantastic! It’s a must! Unfortunately, some of the jets and showers where not working around the swimming pool/sauna area and the overall area lacked care and attention and needs some TLC…it’s unfortunate as it does have allot of potential.
Drinks where had in the bar and lounge area which just oozes atmosphere from the castle itself! A great way to unwind and read the paper. Breakfast was scrumdiddlyumptious! A real feast was served and the staff where again incredible! The service at dinner was a tad slow but very friendly and professional…it really adds to the experience having wonderful staff and nothing bad could be said about them. Full of smiles, craic and chat!
Overall a wonderful and relaxed stay but the just need to look after the spa facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa is a historic castle dating to the 15th century and closely identified with the O'Donnell Clan, the founding fathers of Donegal. Set in a secluded storybook location within 43 acres of native woodland on the shores of Lough Eske with the dramatic Bluestack Mountains as a stunning backdrop, it is the ideal place to relax and experience superior hospitality and exceptional friendly service. Winner of the 'World's Best Luxury Country Hotel' title in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and topping 'My Guide Ireland's Top 10 Hotels in Ireland, this lovingly restored castle hotel blends its historic past with a dash of contemporary luxury where you can escape into a world of relaxed elegance. From the spa to the dining table to your beautifully appointed guestroom, we provide a truly accommodating environment where our dedication to the guest is thoughtful, reliable, consistent and complete - a place where superb service and superior amenities make every day here a perfect day. Step into Solís Lough Eske Castle, and you step into an imposing Tudor-baronial castle, lavishly refurbished in 2007 and extended to create the modern comforts and graceful luxury of a world class boutique hotel. With stunning views and easy access to the great outdoors, the natural, unspoiled landscape is as magnificent as the hotel itself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Eske Castle Hotel Donegal Town
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Donegal
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel