“A hotel full of character”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Maghera, United Kingdom
“A hotel full of character”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

A beautifully small and quaint castle that hosts this glorious hotel. The hotel is surrounded by the attractive lake, 10 minute’s drive from Donegal town and in an area of outstanding natural beauty that’s suites a fly drive holiday.

Check in was very quick and whilst our porter took our bags to the room he explained everything to us. This was something different and I liked it from the usual reception staff welcome.

Welcome treats where laid upon us in the huge room. The room size was enormous (Junior suite) with a stunning bathroom. I really enjoy the separate wash facilities, shower, and the lavender toiletries. There were a few things in the bathroom which I prized for example the soap holder...not your typical glass/plastic holder…but I will leave this for you to discover.

The room was opened planned with a bed room (1st TV), wardrobe space, separate living room (2nd TV) and the bathroom. Everything was very clean. Mini bar was very basic. Night time turn down service was at request only.

We used the spa area and had treatments. The private spa suite where we had our treatment together was very comfortable and just the right temperature. The spa treatment itself was one of the best I have ever had; and I have had a great many! I was left speechless at how well it was carried out…the girls where fantastic! It’s a must! Unfortunately, some of the jets and showers where not working around the swimming pool/sauna area and the overall area lacked care and attention and needs some TLC…it’s unfortunate as it does have allot of potential.

Drinks where had in the bar and lounge area which just oozes atmosphere from the castle itself! A great way to unwind and read the paper. Breakfast was scrumdiddlyumptious! A real feast was served and the staff where again incredible! The service at dinner was a tad slow but very friendly and professional…it really adds to the experience having wonderful staff and nothing bad could be said about them. Full of smiles, craic and chat!

Overall a wonderful and relaxed stay but the just need to look after the spa facilities.

Room Tip: Book yourself in a huge room!
1 Thank europelover26
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, our facilities and with the level of personal service you recieved - we pride ourselves on our unique Donegal banter and charm!

It's wonderful to read your many kind comments regarding your Juniior Suite, the food (especially the "scrumdiddlyumptious breakfast"), your spa treatment and our staff and we are genuinely grateful for the encouraging feedback which I have shared with our team. Please be assured that I have taken your comments regarding the spa area seriously and I will ensure this is improved upon for future guests to enjoy.

I sincerely hope that you will return for another visit in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back to Lough Eske on that occasion!

Mark Knox
Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Kensington
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

The castel is very impressive and the service very good. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. Great beads but bad TV, which is ok cuz that is not why I was here. The Cedars Resturant was a bit pricey for dinner. Breakfast was included and very tasty. Service was friendly even though they hey got hit with everyone waking up at once. The bartender in the he Gally gave some great advise for a day trip up north along the coast. Made for a beautiful drive. Although be ready for roads that are one car wide with trucks coming the other way.....

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Newbs15kens
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and service and that you had such an enjoyable stay. I have taken note of the issues you encountered with your TV, the cost of dinner and with service at breakfast and will discuss with senior management in order to help improve our standards in future.

Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated and I do hope that you will return for another stay during your next visit to Donegal.

lurgan
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My Family and I have been to Lough Eske quite a few times our daughter also had her wedding reception there a few years ago and on each return it never disappoints.
Our last stay was to celebtate Ciara & Richards wedding anniversary and this time they had there
baby daughter with them .A lovely fuss was made which made us all smile. We had ajoining rooms which were lovely - as always
There are so many things about Lough Eske that make me smile but it's the staff that really make our stay so enjoyable - from the receptionsts / bar staff / restaurant staff and the lovely
chef that greets us at breakfast it all makes it worth going back again & again which we hope to
continue to do - So thanks to you all until our nesx visit.

Room Tip: We have never had a bad room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SallyLurgan
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you all back to Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa for another visit and thank you sincerely for taking time to share your experience.

I am delighted to hear that you felt so welcomed (including the new addition to the family :-) and that you enjoyed your visit so much!

Your many kind comments regarding the castle, your room, the food and especially regarding our staff are genuinely appreciated and I do hope that you will keep coming back to see us in future.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to the castle sometime very soon!

St. Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Just got back from a wonderful stay in Ireland which included Lough Eske Castle. Unfortunately the lake is not visible from the hotel, but that is the only neghative. The facilities (especially the bar and the spa) are wonderful and it is just a short hike to the lake and a short drive into Donegal Town. The room was perfect and charming.

When you are there, ask Jimmy in the bar (who will pour you the perfect Gunness with an impression of a clover on top of the foamy head) to show you the pictures of the castle before it was rehabbed. Incredible to think it has gone from such a state of disrepair to what it is now.

1 Thank Dadejole
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle during your recent trip to Ireland.

Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and it's great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our facilities so much. I have passed your special compliments to Jimmy and it's great to hear that you were so well looked after!

I do hope you will return to stay with us again during your next visit to Ireland.

Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We called here for a bar snack on our anniversary on a drizzly Saturday afternoon.The hotel sits in beautiful grounds & the facade is impressive.I had tried to book an overnight stay but hotel was full & a wedding taking place.
The bar area is very relaxing with muted tones enhanced by the many candles.Food was a little limited but of a high standard.My chowder was very tasty & was accompanied by a basket of wheaten bread.
Hubby selected the club sandwich,served with French fries & he thoroughly enjoyed his.Staff were friendly & service good.We were offered more coffee & when I chose to partake the waitress left & started to fill a new cup.
Alarm bells started to ring & I should have realised that the offer of more coffee was not complimentary.This is a particular irk with me.Coffee outside is expensive & when I opt for coffee with my meal I expect the to come together .By the time my food came my very small cup of coffee was empty & had actually been cold.Is it too much to expect that the beverage should automatically be topped up.I understand this is a five star resort but this spoiled an otherwise delightful day.If only establishments would not offer top-ups & then charge twice-this may make us rethink a return visit to stay?

1 Thank Gilliandash
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to visit us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle for your anniversary lunch and thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

I'm disappointed to hear about the issue you experienced at the Gallery Bar regarding your coffee top-up and would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you experienced. As you were offered a top-up by our server you should not have been charged twice - please be assured that this does not reflect our usual high standards and I will be following this up with our F&B manager in order to prevent such issues from occurring again in future.

I do hope that you will return to see us again and give us a second chance to make things up to you in the not too distant future. We look forward to welcoming you both back to the castle on that occasion.

Co. Antrim, N. Ireland
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had recently a very relaxing one night stay in one of the de luxe bedrooms including breakfast and dinner in Cedars restaurant.The bedrooms was large with a very comfortable bed and a large bathroom off it.The staff were very pleasant and welcoming .Dinner was well presented and very tasty with excellent service. Breakfast was good but not a big selection.Bar was very quiet at night although hotel appeared to be very busy.Lovely for a quiet getaway .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seabird31
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you had such a relaxing stay!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience. I have noted your comments regarding the selection at breakfast and will pass to our F&B manager for consideration.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay in the not too distant future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband I really enjoyed our visit to Lough Eske. Our room was beautiful, the staff were fantastic and the food was exceptional. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay but for one exception – the spa. Two of the facilities were closed (ice shower and steam room) and the spa doesn’t open until 9am even thought we were told it opened at 7am – we arrived at 8am to be told it was closed. Aside from this I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa.
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your kind compliments and recommendation are much appreciated.

I'm genuinely disappointed to hear of the issues you encountered at the spa - please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that we take all feedback seriously in order to help improve standards for our guests in future.

I do hope you will return to stay with us again in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!