“Absolutely Perfect!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Derry
“Absolutely Perfect!”
Reviewed 20 September 2008

My Wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon after having had our reception in the hotel in late August.
It couldn't have been better! We dealt with Catherine Doyle and both she and all the staff at the hotel were magnificent.

We had read previous reviews(admittedly quite a while ago) about the hotel on this site and were quite concerned in the lead up to the day. We really needn't have worried at all.

From start to finish the day was absolutely perfect! The only drama on the day was the weather, and I'm sure if the hotel could have done something about that, they would have!!

The drinks reception and canapes had guests gushing with compliments and the food on the day was outstanding- My wife and I are total foodies and try to visit Michelin Starred restaurants whenever we travel so we can be kinda fussy!! We were both blown away by the food on the day, considering the amount of people being catered for, it was honestly as good as some of the better restaurants we've eaten in!

The dinner staff were faultless and insured a very smooth service of the food and wine and a seamless transition from the meal to the disco.

The hotel rooms are enormous and opulently appointed with huge bathrooms and very generous living space.You could spend a weekend here alone!

While we didn't get a chance to use the spa facilities we did hear reports from family and friends that they were excellent and offered very peaceful and relaxing surroundings, the perfect antidote to the night before!!

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, whether for a wedding, a romantic break or just a weekend hideaway it is absolute bliss! We can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank clearlybrietime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Ireland
Reviewed 14 September 2008

I just stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend. Overall it was a good experience but one or two things for me mean it just about makes the 5 star. Firstly, be prepared that this is a 'new' castle surrounding and lacks genuine antiquity. On the plus we found staff very pleasant and helpful. The room we stayed in was very nice but it was outside and a bit away from the hotel. Fixtures and fittings were nice but nothing out of ordinary and they lack some finesse of 5 star i.e. size, quantity of towels. Darkish interior and finicky lights and no phone working, but they did get an engineer to look at it quickly (though not fixed). Spa and leisure nice, but could be bigger and more luxurious for 5 star i.e. pool. Meal and lunch were very good, although regular wines are grossly marked up. Breakfast nice but again lacked a 5 star status and little things missing i.e. giving you desert spoons for soup spoons. Also, selection of fruit was v limited but Irish breakfast looked good. The quietness is a real plus and there are lots of 'drawing rooms' and 'library' areas to explore. Gardens also beautiful. I would go back and would recommend it but there are other places I would go first for the 5 star experience. You will enjoy this experience.

• Liked — service and food
  • Disliked — a bit 'new' for castle, lacked finer finesse of 5 star
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MollyMalone76
derry
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Hotel surroundings and rooms are excellent. The reception/booking staff were not able to find our booking each time we called to check, eventhough we had a booking ref number. This was due to a mis-spelling of our name. The spa and rooms are very good and highly reccomended.
The food was a total daiispointment for a 5* hotel. Our evening meal was totally overcooked and in some places burnt. The Chef advised that he would re do the food but this was not wanted. We would have expected this meal to be taken off our final bill however this was not offered.
In summary nice hotel and surroundings but service/food leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed September 2008
Belfast
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My husband brought me to the Solis Lough Eske for our Anniversary. My sister had stayed there two weeks earlier and loved it and she is very hard to please!!! This was the main reason my husband booked it. We werent disappointed.

We stayed in room 140 which was in the stable block. The room was beautiful and the biggest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The furnishings were top quality and very well thought out. We had a set of beautiful double doors which you could fling open and let the morning sun stream in.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was beautiful and overall our experience of the Solis Lough Eske Castle was superb. However I feel that I would'nt be writing an honest review if I didnt write about some annoying things which happened.

1. We didnt get our turndown service we were promised and no fresh ice delivered to our room.

2. Restaurant was beautiful, food was fantastic but there wasnt enough staff on for a busy Saturday night. We were overcharged for my main course but this was sorted immediately when I brought in to the staffs attention. CHECK YOUR BILL!!

3. Steam room wasnt working properly and the pool could have been warmer.

4. On check out we were offered a choice of paying our bill in Sterling or Euro. We opted for Euro. When I checked the bill it looked like we had been charged in Sterling so we went back to reception and queried this. We were assured we had been charged in Euro. When we got home my husband checked with his credit card company and we were charged in Sterling. I phoned the hotel and explained my disappointment. In fairness to the hotel they were very helpful and couldnt apologise enough. I was told that they would refund our credit card the Sterling and charge us in Euro. They did refund our card the Sterling but charged us again in...Sterling. Very poor!!

Apart from all the above. Our stay and the castle was wonderful. I'm hoping such issues as the ones I mentioned above get ironed out as the hotel is perfect in every other way!!! These problems just took a bit of the shine off our stay.

• Liked — Room size and furnishings
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ladyllewellyn
dublin
Reviewed 10 September 2008

my husband and i recently suffered a bereavement in our family and decided that we needed a couple of nights away.This wonderful hotel was recommended to us by friends of ours who had previously stayed there while at a wedding.From the long winding drive-way i just knew this was the break we needed.Although the hotel is only a short drive from donegal town you feel as you are a million miles away from anywhere-perfect.We parked our car and were met by the doorman who took us inside,we checked in very quickly and the porter took us to our room.When we went into the room i was really pleased at how spacious and comfortable it was.The porter helpfully pointed out various things around the room(safe,mini-bar)etc,after a while we decided to go downstairs for a drink ,ordered drinks and barman took them out to where we were sitting on the lovely comfy couches beside a massive big fire.I was really pleased with the hotel the staff were so friendly--although in the case of the doorman a bit to friendly! we just wanted to sit and relax and enjoy the peace and tranquility and savour the atmosphere when the doorman approached us started to make small talk with us,we chatted for a few mins but this guy couldnt take the hint that we wanted peace,he stood leaning over the back of a chair for at least 20 mins talking about absolutely nothing when eventually i had to ask him if he could leave us in peace.-this was my only bad experience about the hotel.The food was excellent ,staff more than helpful. Just come on doorman let people relax!!

1 Thank amanda365
New York
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We live in New York and travel alot, every hotel starts looking the same but then we arrived at the desk in Solis Lough Eske. On the drive up the hotel I started to get the feeling this might be different, it was like driving into someones beautiful house.
We were met at the door and guided to the lobby,check in was quick and easy.
Our room was big, bright, airy , very comfortable bed and the bathroom had the best showers I have ever seen in Ireland (also nice little extras like candles by the bathtubs).
We had a wonderful dinner in the dinning room that night ask for one of the booths and you will feel like you are dinning alone. After dinner we went to one of the many beautiful rooms they have for drinks, the staff were very attentive and checked on us constantly.
The next day we went to the spa..my husband even enjoyed it!!! ( not a spa person) check out the pool..very nice.
Overall wonderful experience. The grounds are beautiful and the Hotel is spectular. Great getaway.

• Liked — Location and treatment
3 Thank Ellwell
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2008

What can I say !!!! I really cannot find fault only that we couldn't check in for a week !!! This is prob. one of the most stunning places we have stayed in Ireland .

Food : EXCELLENT. undoubtedly the best value for money on our whole trip around Donegal . Try the bar lunch too . The Irish Stew is one of the tastiest I've had .. and the presentation ! You'll pay the same kind of money to eat in Donegal Town with nothing like the love you get here.

Service: EXCELLENT

Facilities : WONDERFUL

Cannot speak highly enough of the staff here also. They all have a wonderful way of being incredibly friendly while not being too intrusive . They all give off the feeling that they love their job . Not something that you come across very often.
We were very impressed when we checked in also. Although we're both Irish our address is Munich and the receptionist at the desk immediately picked this up on the slip and switched into perfect German to us.
The grounds are amazing and wonderful for a walk around after a meal ..even in the rain.... :-)

I could go on and on but it has to be seen to be believed.

tip .. order the cheese board after your meal...divine ..and one serving would EASILY suffice for 2 .

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — everything
1 Thank OscarMunich
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!