“FANTASTIC STAY”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Sligo, Ireland
“FANTASTIC STAY”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I had a two night stay in Lough Eske on the May bank holiday weekend and I have to saw it was wonderful.. From the fast efficient check in right through to its equally efficient check out service the stay was top of the class.

We were staying in the garden Suites which are HUGE and have a gas fireplace and lovely couches to relax in. The bed was comfy and also large and the room was spotless and attended through during our stay. The bathroom was well supplied with all that you would expect in a luxury hotel.

We ate in the bar and in the dining room and both experiences are fantastic. The bar food was hot, tasty and well priced for what it was. We were both completely full after a bread basket and main course each.. There is an extensive drinks menu to choose from and as a non-drinker the great selection of mocktails available was a refreshing change from the usual juice/fizzy sugar high available in bars. This is definitely one of the highlights for me!!!! The dining room experience exceeded our expectations. We were seated in a booth in the main dining room Cedars. This offered us privacy and a little extra treat!!! The quality of food was fantastic and their attention to detail was commendable. What made this 5* experience in the dining room was that nothing could not be changed to suit the diner. I love food and am easy to please however I have observed in the past, certain places not willing to adjust a menu to suit someones taste etc. Lough Eske could not do enough for the diners not just to accommodate dietary requirements but also just good old fashioned taste. This is something that makes me want to return as I have some family members who like sauces on the side and the likes.

The swimming pool was lovely and we went twice over the course of our stay. no shortable of lovely fluffy towels and people to answer any questions you might have.

I have kept my best compliment until the end. The Staff. The staff of Lough Eske are incredibly helpful, personable, warm and friendly with a high level of professionalism at all times. They have actually mastered the art of TALKING to the guests which is something that I think is sadly lacking in a lot of establishments that have staff under so much pressure they don't have time ti breathe. I am not saying that the staff are not busy but they are a complete and utter credit to Lough Eske and they are the main reason that I would highly recommend it as a destination. The mix the level of service expected at 5* with a homely feel that really encourages you to relax and feel at home. There is little or no "pomp" with the staff but I am under no illusion that if they thought a guest wanted this that they would be able to provide it. The chef in the morning at breakfast was a true gent and bright and breezy but to be honest we didn't meet one member of staff who we would want to single out as they were all grade A and 5*.

My husband and I CANNOT wait to return to Lough Eske and would highly recommend it as a destination if you want all out luxury with 5* hospitality and food to match.

Room Tip: Garden Suites are outdoors but they are only a short walk to the main building and are beautiful. T...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle and thank you for taking time to share your experience and feedback.

Your many kind compliments and your wonderfully detailed description of your stay is genuinely appreciated by all of us - we are thrilled that you enjoyed everything so much and that you were so impressed with the staff and the service you received.

It's great to hear that you cannot wait to return and we look forward to welcoming you both back to Lough Eske some time in the near future.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I hate writing reviews like this but after a one night stay at the beautiful Lough Eske we where left feeling very underwhelmed.

We have recently had a baby and this was our first spa break away in a few months. We where excited and therefore wanted to try a spa we had not tried before. We searched the internet and picked the beautiful looking lough eske.

We arrived on Saturday at around 3pm the hotel was not particularly busy but we did see a few wedding guests enjoying the sunshine. Our check in was handled fine nothing to complain about. The porter who showed us to our room was little strange, with his earpiece in he spent more time on the radio than telling us where anything was or offering to carry a bag.

We arrived at the room which at first glance was very nice, 4 poster spacious and clean with a very comfortable bed. However on closer inspection we noted the following complaints; the light socket in the bathroom leak from the room above into our bath, there was no bottle opener to open the soft drinks in the mini bar, only two towels where supplied, so after we had a shower for dinner we had no clean towels for the next morning. There was also we though a poor room service menu and poorly stocked mini bar.

We went to the spa which we found to the biggest disappointment of all, the steam room in the swimming pool area was filthy, as was the tiles in the hydro therapy area, seats in changing rooms where torn, when we asked for gowns we where informed that the spa did not supply these unless we where having a treatment. I hit the emergency call button in the steam by accident and we are still waiting on someone to arrive. It felt under staffed and dirty. We left after 20 mins.

Dinner was the best of the experience, food was top notch, especially dessert, we had scallops, fillet of beef and panna cotta. Once again the staff where poorly trained on 5 star service and we where left to wait (standing to sign our cheque at the end of the meal) There was only 4 other tables.

Breakfast was also poor, the buffet does not be topped up until it runs out completely, this was the case for the orange juice, bacon, and sauce. Butter is rock hard so you cant use it on the toast and the dinning room was freezing cold.

When we checked out we where asked did we enjoy our stay to which I replied with some of my observations. Our bar tab was immediately refunded as a gesture of goodwill which makes me think this is the standard way of dealing with a lot of complaints. We accepted the kind offer.

All in all we found the hotel to have the perfect setting and should be much better, I think as a former restaurant manager of a 5 star hotel chain the staff are just poorly trained or not at all. No staff will engage with you or even say good morning, which is a brand standard in many 5 star hotels. I was disappointed for our first weekend away, but it just means we will have to go back to old faithful Galgorm all the more soon.

Kind Regards

Room Tip: stay away from 119 until they fix the leaking ceiling
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gareth C
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle and thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you were impressed with the setting and with the quality of your dining experience.

However, it's most disappointing to hear that you encountered a number of issues during your stay and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you experienced - particularly regarding service, your room, the spa and the quality of breakfast. Please be assured that these short-comings do not reflect our usual high standards and I will be following each one of these issues up with senior management in order to improve our services and prevent such issues from occurring again in future.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in future and allow us to give you the true five star experience for which we are so well known.

Holywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just spent long weekend in the Lough Eske hotel - our first visit but will not be our last. Setting wonderful, our room -a suite spacious and very comfortable as was our son's standard room. Staff could not have been more courteous or accommodating. We enjoyed the food, both in the bar and restaurant. Not the cheapest but we went away satisfied that we had our money's worth. Two minor suggestions to the management
1. The restaurant is upmarket and has a splendid panoramic view of - a car park! Why not screen the cars with plants on the outside terrace? View NOT in keeping with the ambience of the room.
2. Magnificent surroundings of the hotel but difficult to access. Should have proper walking paths (not the access roads) to include ability to easily get down to the magnificent Lough Eske.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you were impressed with you suite and guestroom.

Your kind feedback and compliments are genuinely appreciated by all of us and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience. I have passed your suggestions regarding the view from the restaurant and the access paths to the lake on to our management team for consideration and hopefully we will be able to improve these areas in the foreseeable future.

It's wonderful to hear that you would like to return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again on that occasion.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We had a three night break Monday to Thursday morning. From the moment we arrived we felt that the staff were genuine in looking after our needs. I had mentioned when booking with James (who had been very patient because I had to keep changing the dates) that it was my husbands birthday on the Tuesday. When we retuned to the room on the afternoon of the 29th they had left a lovely dessert with happy birthday in chocolate. We then ate in the cedars restaurant the same evening and as my husband did not eat any of the meat options and not a lover of mushrooms our waitress Kerri arranged for him to have battered cod and chips which he loved. Again they brought out a special dessert for him as a birthday treat. The pool was pleasurable and the spa we felt was nice for us. The room was amazing and could not believe how big the bed was. We also ate in the bar for two night and the cottage pie should be a must to try !,,

All the staff were welcoming and nothing to much trouble, and very knowledgable of the local area which was a delight to visit. . We would definitely like to return. Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle recently - it was our pleasure to welcome you both for your three night stay and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your many kind comments, which I have shared with the team - we were thrilled to be a part of your husband's birthday celebrations and were only too happy to provide him with a meal of his choice at dinner in our restaurant!

I'm thrilled to hear that you would like to return to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle on that occasion.

Ballymena
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a two day break at this beautiful hotel. The minute you drive up you realise that you are for staying in a place with history attached to it. We received a wonderful warm welcome at reception and immediately knew that they would do all to make our stay as special as possible. Indeed throughout our stay I remarked to my wife how friendly all of the staff were and approachable. We dined the first night in the Cedars which was a little pricy but a true dining experience, food to be enjoyed. The breakfast was out of this world with an a la carte option as well as buffet. Indeed we ended up eating little for lunch after it. The staff also helped us plan an excursion around the surrounding area with the help of personal knowledge they were able to recommend tea-rooms, places of interest and other restaurants. The spa again is wonderful and guests wander around in the complimentary robes enroute to it through the hotel again signifying how relaxing the whole place is. I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the dining area and wedding function room and because it was warm we kept our wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle for your recent visit and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and we would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience.

It's wonderful to hear that you will definitely return to visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back again to the castle sometime in the not too distant future.

Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and I booked a one night break through a voucher scheme to try this hotel. It's an imposing mix of old house and new build and is decorated to a high standard. We had an upgraded room which was sumptuous and had all the facilities you would expect of a good quality hotel. Be careful if booking in winter as we did as the "suite" we occupied along with many others could only be accessed by going outside. Umbrellas were provided, but it's a bit annoying to have to walk a hundred yards or more though the rain to get to and from the dining room. The staff were excellent and service was very good, both on arrival and in the restaurant. The restaurant menu was surprisingly limited to table d'hote and not cheap. However, the food was of an excellent quality. Good hotel to view and visit the Donegal countryside.

Room Tip: Look at the weather before deciding and ask the hotel if your room has to accessed by going outside.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ijallen52
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle for your recent visit and thank you sincerely for your valuable feedback.

It's wonderful to hear that you were impressed with the castle, the food and the level of service you received. However, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the location of your Garden Suite - please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that we will endeavor to make this clear to all future guests when booking accommodation in the Courtyard and garden. I have also passed your comments regarding the Table d'Hote menu in Cedars to our F&B manager for consideration.

I do hope that you will return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the not too distant future.

Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We are just back from a 1 night stay through an offer on Treat Ticket after wanting to visit this place for a long time.

Before arriving we rang the hotel and explained we are both smokers and requested if we could have a room with balcony/terrace or close to a smoking area. Without a problem the man on reception quickly changed our room and when we arrived were delighted to find we were given a room with doors that opened out into their gardens...not only was this beneficial to us but the view and location of the room really did add to the whole stay as we were able to walk out of our room and walk straight through the doors of the spa - perfect

We stayed in the 5* deluxe room which lived up to it's name with one glamorous bathroom and luxurious features

We had dinner in cedars restaurant where the service was the best I have ever had at a hotel and food was AMAZING!!! Johnny the waiter even give us a sample of their new home cooked smoked cheese bread - Devine Breakfast was also served in this restaurant with a chef frying up an omelette with any filling right in front of u as well as potato bread and pancakes cooked to your liking.

A very SPECIAL thank you to Declan the caretaker who was not only informative but genuinely gave up his time to update us on the castle and the surrounding areas as well as help us with any request/enquiry we had..he really is a credit to this amazing hotel having worked here from the castle opened and is a complete gentleman!

Can't wait to get back!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Colum-and-Shauna
Dear Guest,

The ladies and gentlemen of Solís Lough Eske Castle were delighted to welcome you to Donegal for your recent visit.

Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback - we are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience. I'm delighted that you were so impressed with your room, the food and with the friendly professional service you received from the team (especially Declan!).

It's great to hear that you intend to come back to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your second visit in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!