“We loved it”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our group of 4 stayed for one night as a treat. The price is a bit high, but we were not disappointed in the least. Our rooms were really large and very comfortable and clean. I am surprised at some of the other negative reviews as we also had dinner at the hotel and enjoyed a really relaxing wonderful dinner. One of our travellers is vegetarian and the staff were very co-operative when it came to her needs. We had no problems at all at either dinner or breakfast and found the service to be of a high standard. The building and the grounds are wonderful and I even suggested to my daughter that she consider the hotel as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Lough Eske Castle and for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel and with the level of friendly and professional service you received from the team. A special thank you for recommending the castle to your daughter for her wedding - we would be thrilled to be a part of her special day.

I do hope that you will return for another visit in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle on that occasion.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have just returned from a three day stay at lough eske castle hotel. This trip was a special birthday gift from our daughter and we looked long and hard before making our choice to stay here. When booking I did mention it was a birthday gift. On arrival we were shown to our room which was quite nicely furnished but on the dark side. I went to pull back the thick heavy voiles on the window only to find our view was a cement wall directly opposite. I was so disappointed, the porter could see I was upset and asked if he could check if there was a better room, but at this stage I was so annoyed and disappointed I couldn't start moving. By the way I did enjoy the chocolate square with happy birthday on it. I agree with a comment that a jug of water would be nice in the rooms. The staff were excellent and food very good on the positive side. We would have been prepared to pay extra had we been told there wasn't a view from the room we were allocated.

Room Tip: Don't end up in room 114 or any of the rooms on that side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently for three nights at Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa and for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

We were delighted to be a part of your birthday celebrations and with your positive compliments regarding your stay, which are genuinely appreciated.

However, I'm genuinely disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your room - we should have informed you on booking that the room did not have a garden view so please accept our sincerest apologies.

I do hope you will return to stay with us again in the not too distant future and we will ensure that you are given a room with a nice view of the gardens on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

A group of 9 collegues and myself decided to treat ourselves to an overnight stay here and make use of the spa/treatments. Highly disappointing to say the least. On entering my treatment room for massage there were toenail clippings lying all over the floor and massage was medicore to say the least. Hidden charges were also an issue and we were being bombarded with bottled water during dinner, only to find at check out we were being charged extortionate prices for the pleasure! A few of my collegues had being using the jacuzi only to have the colour stripped off their swim wear due to high chlorine levels. On confronting the deputy manager (general manager was off) about this she literally snorted when looking at one of the swim suits and said "ohh shur that is only a swimsuit from <high street store>". Totally inappropriate and held on to the ladies swimsuits! We were delayed 2 1/2 hours thanks to the deputy manager faffing around and contradicting herself. No air conditioning was availble in our suite also and even with both windows open all night we were melting. All in all we will not be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Madgesbadge

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

I am genuinely disappointed to hear that you encountered a number of issues during your stay and would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you and your colleagues experienced. Please be assured that these issues do not reflect our usual high standards and we will ensure that your feedback is used to help improve our service in future.

We are continually striving to improve our facilities for our guests - Air Conditioning is being installed at Spa Solís in the near future, an addition that will greatly improve the overall spa experience.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle sometime soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Beautiful building in lovely grounds. We had a stale room that was lovely although for the price paid I have stayed in other hotels with more of a 'Wow' factor. Impossible to have a shower without flooding part of the bathroom.
We ate in the restaurant and had a fabulous waitress called Rachel - a credit to the hotel. Unfortunately both our meals (duck & steak) were over cooked - had requested more rare than medium & neither were even still pink, however the actual quality of the meat didn't detract from the taste. When the issue was pointed out to Rachel she handled it superbly & we ended up with free desserts, one of which wasn't even on the menu after making a passing comment about strawberry cheesecake....Who knows where Rachel managed to acquire one!
It seems a shame that all the bar staff seem to be under instructions not to make any small talk with guests even when actually serving you so there was no friendly chat / banter whilst sat in the bar.
Harveys point is only 1km away & well worth a visit for the view.
Overall expensive & but lovely treat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience. However, I am disappointed to hear that your main courses in the restaurant were over cooked and that you felt the bar staff were not friendly. Please be assured that this is not our usual standard and that we do encourage our staff to engage with our guests - and usually get many positive guest comments. I am thrilled to hear that Rachel took such good care of you and I will pass your compliments to her.

Mark

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lough Eske is a 5-star Spa Hotel in name only. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are nicely furnished, nothing else is 5-star - but they sure do charge you as if it was!

Service, while polite, was thoroughly unimpressive - staff had no idea what good service entailed and have been poorly trained. As an example - order a steak, but do not expect a steak knife. Instead expect there to be no waiter near you after you receive your food for over 15 minutes so you have to hunt one down to request the appropriate cutlery. Bills are also difficult to come by, they'll happily leave you sitting there, with your empty plates, until you get up and find a waiter - in our case on two occasions, for over 15 minutes! Whatever your favourite antonyms for attentive, trained, and competent, those are how I propose you expect service in both the bar and restaurant in Lough Eske. If you're a bit of a gambler, try the "when will you get toast with breakfast roulette" a must for those that like to be surprised in the mornings.

I am baffled how most of the reviews I read prior to booking a stay in Lough Eske were so far removed from our experience. After two days there we realised how we had not had a single encounter with a member of staff where they didn't mess up. We weren't demanding or rude and actually didn't say anything until we were leaving so are perplexed as to why our experience was so bad. Perhaps because it was a mid-week stay, the best staff work at weekends for weddings etc so we get the newbies/trainees.. but every single staff member was incompetent with the exception one lady in the breakfast room who moved 3 times faster than her colleagues - that's no exaggeration!

We were thoroughly disappointed with Lough Eske. I will never advise any of my friends or family to waste precious time and money here, there are so many better alternatives.

Room Tip: A deluxe room is not in the main castle - it is a large, standard hotel room, no pictures on the web...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ShellG_Ireland

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle and thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

I'm genuinely disappointed to hear that you encountered a number of issues during your stay, especially regarding the service you received, and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you experienced.

Please be assured that these short-comings do not reflect our usual high standards and I will be following these issues up with senior management in order to improve our service and to prevent such issues from occurring again in future.

I will be in touch with you directly to discuss your experience further and I do hope that you will give us a second chance to show you the true five star experience for which we are so well known.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had the most wonderful stay here on 9 th July as a birthday treat........ Everything from arrival to leaving was superb , level of service, food, spa, room, if I really had to nit pick ................? Maybe water in room and new towels at the turn down service, and that's probing for a fault, it was just lovely.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Donegal and to Solis Lough Eske Castle on the recent occasion of your birthday!

Thank you sincerely for your wonderful comments and for taking time to share your experience. We were thrilled to be part of your special day and the team is delighted with your very positive feedback. Please be assured that I have taken your comments regarding water in the room and fresh towels into account and will pass to our head housekeeper.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again for another visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

A truly gorgeous setting. We stayed in the luxurious no.407 garden suite with our 3 children just opposite the gorgeous pool and spa set in the stunning walled castle gardens.We were greeted by Erno in his immaculate Donegal tweed suit who made us feel so welcome, was full of interesting local facts and organised our bike trips. (Can I suggest a little childs bike seat on the adults bike.)Thankyou Erno for making the children feel like royalty our whole stay and for lending a little satin cushion for my daughter to sit on my bike. The open castle book was a lovely touch in the entrance hall followed by the many before rennovation photographs and history Jimmy our faithful barman supplied to us throughout our stay as well as the beautiful cocktails..What a huge selection of beers and spirits. So inspiring.fantastic service Jimmy. All our meals came really quickly and were beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Thankyou to Eilo each breakfast was a wonderful experience, fantastic fresh food , spoilt for choice and cooked as requested and you supplied us with many sightseeing options and local tips. Thankyou so much for making our children feel special too. You have a lovely friendly attitude and it was very refreshing. Our only regret was not seeing Daniel back at the castle but we had the pleasure of being looked after by him on the waterbus in donegal bay which we would recommend for a trip...All in All a wonderful 3 days break in Lough Eske Castle booked through Antonio in Celtic Castles.com who was also fantastic.

Room Tip: Garden suite no.407 huge spacious, luxurious four poster bed and gorgeous bathroom .Opposite swimmin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 12345devlins
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle recently - it was our pleasure to welcome you and your family to Donegal for your three night stay.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the personal service you received so much. We are so grateful for your wonderful review and for the time you have taken to share your experience. I have passed your compliments to everyone - with a special thanks to Erno, Jimmy and Eilo to whom you give a special mention!

I do hope you will return to stay with us again in future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle sometime soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town
Donegal Manor
Donegal Manor
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!