“Idillic Luxury Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Idillic Luxury Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked a single night at the Lough Eske Castle not knowing what to expect - the website made the hotel sound like the playground of the rich and famous and I wondered if I would be allowed to register driving up in my Skoda rental. :-) Well of course we were warmly welcomed by the gentlemen at the door, who parked our Skoda for us, and carried our bags to our room. The room was extremely nice and very well apportioned. A luxury bathroom and extremely comfortable bed. We had drinks in the bar where the staff was very friendly and attentive and then a meal in the bar which was superb. The bar was perhaps one of the best stocked bars I've ever seen. The grounds of the hotel are spectacular and the history of the place intriguing. I really hope they can make a go of it given the history and remote location. I went for a swim in the pool which was very relaxing and pleasant with water fountains showering the pool. The only reason I didn't give the hotel five stars is because the day we were there was a "record high" or about eighty degrees (27 C). At night the temperature dropped to a very comfortable level, but our room remained stifling hot - no air conditioning in the rooms; though there was in the bar. We requested an additional fan and extension cord to bring in air from the outside but never got the extension cord - so the fan didn't do much good. We slept with the windows wide open, but the lack of circulation meant it never cooled - a big disappointment given how luxurious the hotel's accommodations were and how attentive the staff. Some reviewers have said this is the best hotel in the world - and I think if the temperature had been lower, it might have been in contention for me as well.

Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and rated the castle so highly!

However, I am disappointed to hear that your room was too warm and would like to apologize for the lack of air conditioning and for not bringing you the extension lead for the fan. Please be assured that this does not reflect our usual high standards and the high temperatures that you experienced are quite unusual for this part of Ireland.

I do hope that you will return for another visit during your next trip to Ireland and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the not too distant future.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I cannot believe this is not number 1 in donegal as this is quite simply the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I have visited harveys point also and the rooms may feel better laid out but it is dependent on everyones preference.
We got married here in September 2013 and returned in Feb 2014 and have to say we could not have asked for better food, rooms or staff. We have returned since then and the staff still remembered us which is a great experience.
The staff and atmosphere are exceptional and the best of any hotel in the world I have stayed in. I have been in 5 star hotels in New York and France (Las Mas Candille) and have to say nothing beats the donegal touch in terms of customer service.
Each room is different in style however the attention to detail in each room remained exceptional.
The hotel is great all year round and great for any occasion (I have also been on a work team building trip as well as pleasure trips and it is the same great experience).
Room tip: they are all great however if you have difficulty mobility wise ask for room off reception

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa. We were delighted to welcome you back to Donegal and to see both of you again!

Your many kind comments regarding the castle and our staff are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and we are very grateful for your wonderful recommendation!

We look forward to welcoming both of you back sometime in the very near future (hopefully for your anniversary!).

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have just returned from a three night B&B stay at the Lough Eske Castle Hotel in Donegal.
We had dinner each night in the Cedars Grill Restaurant. The food and the staff were absolutely superb. We stayed in one of the Courtyard Rooms. It was excellent. A nice warm spacious bedroom with a fine double bed made our stay there very relaxing and comfortable.
The staff throughout our stay were excellent, very courteous and very pleasant and very very helpful. We had afternoon snacks over the three days in the hotel bar restaurant and the food was excellently prepared and presented. Full marks to all the Staff at the Lough Eske Castle for their very professional approach and service throughout our stay. We will be returning.

Room Tip: The Courtyard Rooms are located off the main hotel and are beautifully located and surrounded by mag...
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Waldorf10
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle for your recent three night stay and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and we are delighted that you intend to return for another visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the not too distant future.

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Lough Eske is a wonderful wedding resort especially if the majority of your guests come from outside of Ireland. Organizing a wedding from America was made extremely easy by Mairead and Stephen and they threw in amazing upgrades both for our guests and ourselves. They provided contacts for table/seating options that they work with as well as recommendations for musicians. I went with a different band called The Good Fellows and they were amazing. If you need church music or someone to help organize music overall, Damiengodfrey@hotmail.com is a great contact

Try the fish and chips as the evening buffet - best I have ever had! The breakfast is also fantastic with many options available.

• Stayed August 2013
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Ogodfrey
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your guests to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your wedding celebrations and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

It's wonderful to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and with the service you received and that you had such an fantastic day.

Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated by the team and I do hope that you will return to visit us again in the not too distant future.

We look forward to welcoming both of you back to Lough Eske Castle sometime soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Three nights was just not enough- I want more!
This is a five star hotel - I believe the only one in County Donegal - and it sits near a lough with mountains nearby. All in all a delightful location.
You expect everything to go extremely well in such an establishment however what makes it extra special is the staff who clearly take a pride in delivering first class customer service. No request for advice or information was treated with anything other than enthusiastic and knowledgeable responses.

Room Tip: Upper rooms facing the mountains.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle for your recent three night break and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and the service you received and that you had such an enjoyable stay. Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team.

I do hope that you will return for another visit in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle on that occasion.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We holiday a lot in Donegal and I decided to try the spa at Lough Eske castle and it was wonderful! I telephoned about two weeks ahead of time to book it and was very amused at how relaxed the booking process was compared to UK spas. No deposits were needed or email addresses or credit card details. Received a lovely welcome upon arrival. Spa facilities are great and clean! The massage bed was amazingly comfortable! Relaxation room was fantastic with cold juices on offer.
Breda my therapist was lovely and took time to explain each product she was using and why she had chosen that product. I had a deep sleep massage, a facial and a hair ritual. So relaxing!
There were only two negatives or constructive feedback I would like to give. In a UK spa, the treatments are split up throughout the day. I had three treatments and they were grouped together . Don't get me wrong it was fabulous but I think I would have enjoyed myself even more if I could have had a rest/swim/steam etc between each treatment. Makes the day last longer and I think it would have added to the relaxation aspect of the day.
The other issue was that there weren't any provisions to eat. Whilst they had fresh fruit (which was topped up regularly) we were starving by 3pm! In the UK spas I have visited they have a little cafe/dining room within the spa where you can order lunch and perhaps have a glass of fizz. Had this been available I would have been so content and maybe it's something they can look at for he future?? Lastly I wanted to pay for myself and my mother in law but annoyingly had to pay separately for both of us as the computer system wouldn't let me pay jointly.
The spa has the makings of a wonderful retreat. I fell in love with the Aromatherapy Associates products and bought quite a few before I left. The therapists were so friendly aside from one who didn't smile very much or say hello when she passed us.
I will definitely be back and so pleased I have found this wonderful spa in the heart of Donegal!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at Spa Solís.

Your valuable feedback and kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience.

Please be assured that we have taken your recommendations regarding treatment timings, the availability of food/lunch within the spa and your issue with joint payment on board as we continue to improve our guest services going forward.

It's wonderful to hear that you are planning to return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle and to Spa Solís on that occasion.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night here during the week and it was nothing short of amazing! I was brought as a gift for my birthday and it was so special. We dined in the cedar restaurant that night and it was hands down one of the best meals I've ever had.

Unfortunately we didn't really have time for treatments as it was a very last minute choice of hotel but the thermal area was really lovely and relaxing. We didn't use the pool as there were kids in it and we were too relaxed but it looked really nice!

Our room was really lovely and spacious with a bathroom to die for and a glorious view of the courtyard!

We found all the staff were so friendly and courteous....especially at the front desk!

Breakfast was nothing short of devine too with lots of choice...would recommend the eggs benedict...delicious! !

All in all it was a really lovely treat and i would highly recommend to anyone looking for a special night away!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent birthday celebration and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and service and that you had such an enjoyable stay. It was unfortunate that you did not have time to enjoy a treatment at Spa Solís - but perhaps next time!

Your kind comments and recommendation are genuinely appreciated and I do hope that you will return for another visit in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!