I booked a single night at the Lough Eske Castle not knowing what to expect - the website made the hotel sound like the playground of the rich and famous and I wondered if I would be allowed to register driving up in my Skoda rental. :-) Well of course we were warmly welcomed by the gentlemen at the door, who parked our Skoda for us, and carried our bags to our room. The room was extremely nice and very well apportioned. A luxury bathroom and extremely comfortable bed. We had drinks in the bar where the staff was very friendly and attentive and then a meal in the bar which was superb. The bar was perhaps one of the best stocked bars I've ever seen. The grounds of the hotel are spectacular and the history of the place intriguing. I really hope they can make a go of it given the history and remote location. I went for a swim in the pool which was very relaxing and pleasant with water fountains showering the pool. The only reason I didn't give the hotel five stars is because the day we were there was a "record high" or about eighty degrees (27 C). At night the temperature dropped to a very comfortable level, but our room remained stifling hot - no air conditioning in the rooms; though there was in the bar. We requested an additional fan and extension cord to bring in air from the outside but never got the extension cord - so the fan didn't do much good. We slept with the windows wide open, but the lack of circulation meant it never cooled - a big disappointment given how luxurious the hotel's accommodations were and how attentive the staff. Some reviewers have said this is the best hotel in the world - and I think if the temperature had been lower, it might have been in contention for me as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa is an historic castle dating to the 15th century and the O'Donnell Clan, the founding fathers of Donegal. Set in a secluded storybook location within 43 acres of native woodland on the shores of Lough Eske with the dramatic Bluestack Mountains as a stunning backdrop, it is the ideal place to relax and experience superior hospitality and exceptional friendly service. Winner of the 'World's Best Luxury Country Hotel' title in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and topping 'My Guide Ireland's Top 10 Hotels in Ireland, this lovingly restored castle hotel blends its historic past with a dash of contemporary luxury where you can escape into a world of relaxed elegance. From the spa to the dining table to your beautifully appointed guestroom, we provide a truly accommodating environment where our dedication to the guest is thoughtful, reliable, consistent and complete - a place where superb service and superior amenities make every day here a perfect day. Step into Solís Lough Eske Castle, and you step into an imposing Tudor-baronial castle, lavishly refurbished in 2007 and extended to create the modern comforts and graceful luxury of a world class boutique hotel. With stunning views and easy access to the great outdoors, the natural, unspoiled landscape is as magnificent as the hotel itself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotelopia and TravelUp so you can book your Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Eske Castle Hotel Donegal Town
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Donegal
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel