Firstly I've never has good enough reason to write an hotel review but on this occassion felt this hotel was worth the effort.
We came across this hotel quite accidentally a few months ago, we had a walk through and were impressed with the building/setting etc we decided to go there later for 'without children' . We went the weekend before St Patrick's Day instead of our proposed weekend away to Dublin.
You will not get the same 'buzz' as a weekend in Dublin but what you will get it is a total weekend of relaxation. However if you are interested in golf, walking etc. I would imagine there is plenty of choice in the area. We just had a long weekend rest!
My husband and I have been to 'spas' before but he had never had any treatments before. He totally relaxed during the spa day as we both enjoyed a couple's massage. It may not have been my personal favourite massage but my husband was totally impressed. Similarly the Spa may not have as many facilities as some Luxury European Hotels but in comparsion to others in Ireland it is of an exceptional standard. It was so relaxing that we were in bed by 9pm, sound asleep!
We were both totally impressed with this hotel. The location is not a choice for those who want to go clubbing but if you want to rest in luxury this place is prefect. The generously sized bedroom had a luxurious, spacious bathroom and the bed was so comfy. For once we did not even ask for extra pillows.
As with most five star hotels we expected the food to be simply 'pretty'. Infact the food was excellent, the portions just right and so tasty. The steaks were cooked to prefection. On the second evening my husband particulary enjoyed the Red Thai Curry which was new to the bar snack menu. His only complaint regarding the food was that there had been a delay with his specific egg request for breakfast (only on the first morning), but they did arrive eventually and were to his 'egg standard' so again he was happy, (and he is so fussy about eggs!!)
The staff were all exceptionally friendly and helpful. Personally I wish to thank Rachel (from Sion Mills) for her excellent service. She is an Hotel Managment Under Graduate (UUJ) and was extremely personable, I wish her ever success in her career.
I did read other 'trip advisor' reviews and have to agree that for a 5* you would expect porterage etc on arrival but as a new hotel, struggling to build up a reputation this is entirely forgiveable. Similarly if you are expecting the 'old fustiness' of a castle you will not get it here, the Castle has been rebuilt to modern standards. However the are open fires burning in the spacious reception rooms and externally the front facade is exactly as pictured. Together with the well presented,extensive gardens with ornate statues etc make this Castle a beautiful wedding venue.
The staff advised that the hotel was built by a local man who dreamt of owning a FIVE STAR hotel in Donegal. What would be unfortunate is that this hotel could close because it becomes 'unviable' which is a reality in today's climate. I hope this never happens as we intend returning to what simply is a 'jewel' of an hotel in Ireland.
Infact Mr M is so impressd he wants to go to the hotel again in April and bring our kids along!
DM, N Ireland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa is a historic castle dating to the 15th century and closely identified with the O'Donnell Clan, the founding fathers of Donegal. Set in a secluded storybook location within 43 acres of native woodland on the shores of Lough Eske with the dramatic Bluestack Mountains as a stunning backdrop, it is the ideal place to relax and experience superior hospitality and exceptional friendly service. Winner of the 'World's Best Luxury Country Hotel' title in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and topping 'My Guide Ireland's Top 10 Hotels in Ireland, this lovingly restored castle hotel blends its historic past with a dash of contemporary luxury where you can escape into a world of relaxed elegance. From the spa to the dining table to your beautifully appointed guestroom, we provide a truly accommodating environment where our dedication to the guest is thoughtful, reliable, consistent and complete - a place where superb service and superior amenities make every day here a perfect day. Step into Solís Lough Eske Castle, and you step into an imposing Tudor-baronial castle, lavishly refurbished in 2007 and extended to create the modern comforts and graceful luxury of a world class boutique hotel. With stunning views and easy access to the great outdoors, the natural, unspoiled landscape is as magnificent as the hotel itself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Eske Castle Hotel Donegal Town
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Donegal
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel