Myself and my husband stayed here for one night on Friday last, 20th August. We arrived separately and I was very pleased that I could check in when I arrived at 11am. Apart from that and the wonderful breakfast, I have nothing positive to say about the hotel. Like the other reviewer I was very surprised at having to pay 20euro to use the spa area. Only the pool is free to guests. I then went to the lounge area which looked rather shabby. I ordered coffee and a sandwich. 20 minutes later and no coffee arrived. The lounge waiter passed again and I enquired re my coffee. He mumbled something about having forgotten. The coffee eventually arrived but it took about another 10 minutes for the sandwich. By then I had finished my coffee and ordered another. I was charged €7.00 for the two coffees but on complaining about the service this charge was dropped.
Dinner was just ok, by no means five star. The waiter asked us how we were enjoying our evening. When we answered positively he said he was very glad. No problem there. Except that when he arrived back at the table he again asked us how we were and AGAIN told us how glad he was to hear it!!! So insincere and false.
I feel the hotel is grossly over priced, businesslike rather than warm and friendly and would certainly NOT recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa is a historic castle dating to the 15th century and closely identified with the O'Donnell Clan, the founding fathers of Donegal. Set in a secluded storybook location within 43 acres of native woodland on the shores of Lough Eske with the dramatic Bluestack Mountains as a stunning backdrop, it is the ideal place to relax and experience superior hospitality and exceptional friendly service. Winner of the 'World's Best Luxury Country Hotel' title in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and topping 'My Guide Ireland's Top 10 Hotels in Ireland, this lovingly restored castle hotel blends its historic past with a dash of contemporary luxury where you can escape into a world of relaxed elegance. From the spa to the dining table to your beautifully appointed guestroom, we provide a truly accommodating environment where our dedication to the guest is thoughtful, reliable, consistent and complete - a place where superb service and superior amenities make every day here a perfect day. Step into Solís Lough Eske Castle, and you step into an imposing Tudor-baronial castle, lavishly refurbished in 2007 and extended to create the modern comforts and graceful luxury of a world class boutique hotel. With stunning views and easy access to the great outdoors, the natural, unspoiled landscape is as magnificent as the hotel itself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Eske Castle Hotel Donegal Town
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Donegal
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel