“Disappointing tour, but excellent food”

Lifford Old Courthouse
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Lifford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience life as a prisoner in a guided tour with a difference at Lifford Old Courthouse. Learn about law and disorder as you are charged, sentenced and fingerprinted and shown your new surroundings. You won't just be told about the cramped conditions, the painful punishments and the disgusting diet, you'll get to experience them for yourself. Fun informative and unlike anything you've seen before, this is a guided tour with a difference and perfect for all ages. Think you have what it takes to escape from a locked cell in just 60 minutes? Well there's only one way to find out and that's to take on JAILBREAK. Jailbreak is a live escape room that challenges you to break out of our cell before time runs out, using only the items you find in the cell itself. Working as a team you must put all the pieces of the puzzle together in order to escape or a deadly fate awaits you! If you're looking for something different, then this is the game for you. Younger prisoners can even try it for themselves with our exciting Junior Jailbreak room, suitable for age 8+.
Reviewed 8 July 2017

The tour of the old courthouse takes the form of the visitors being convicted, fingerprinted, and sentenced. Then visitors are shown around cells. This tour is not really appropriate for adults, I think it is better suited to school children. The tour guide was very much in character as a prison officer but did not tell us anything historical about the courthouse, vague references to two famous prisoners, he pointed out a list of penalties for crimes but was more concerned with acting out the scenario of the visitors being the prisoners.. I never actually saw the courthouse just the ground floor with approx 6 cells. On a better note we had a wonderful 2 course meal that was delicious with great service.

Date of experience: July 2017
in 8 reviews
"visitors"
"codes"

Reviewed 5 April 2017

Been awhile since we were there, but it is a great attraction for a group visit, would suit along with another attraction/ activity as can be done in a few hours. Staff are delightful and the tour of the Goal is very informative. The only downside is that there are quite a few stairs down to the tour so not great fro anyone bad on their although, you can walk round the back to avoid these stairs.
Lovely restaurant offering various menus, we had a morning visit so opted for the Tea & Scones, nicest I have tasted, large, fresh scones with plenty of Jam & cream.
Again lovely attentive staff offering top up's for those who wanted an extra cup!
Great to keep the group going until they get their meal later in the day.
Would definitely recommend

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank Margaret F
LiffordOldCourthouse, Public Relations Manager at Lifford Old Courthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad you enjoyed your visit to us and hope you and the group had a great day with us and elsewhere.

We're delighted to hear you enjoyed the scones, they're made fresh every morning and people just can't get enough of them!

Regarding the stairs, we are planning an extension to the building this year which will include a new lift and stairwell which will make getting from floor to floor a lot easier. This is a huge project due to the age of the building so we're hopeful of getting it completed before the end of the year and would love to have you all back when it's finished.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

OLD COURTHOUSE LIFFORD

An extremely enjoyable dining experience in historic surroundings.

I’ve dined in the Old Courthouse in Lifford on a few occasions and have never been disappointed. Recently, I enjoyed a very well-presented, delicious lunch with my husband. On entering this historic, but beautifully restored old building we were warmly greeted by Danielle and Davina. These two very pleasant girls, were extremely efficient and helpful. I asked if it was possible to have a small plate of food, as I’ve learned from previous experiences that the portions are very generous in the Old Courthouse. Danielle advised me that even a small portion is normally quite adequate. How right she was! My husband declared that it was the most divine plate of tagliatelle he’d ever tasted. I thoroughly enjoyed pan-fried chicken in a pesto cream sauce, served with seasonal vegetables and fluffy mashed potatoes. The menu is extremely good value for money. The excellent chef, Carmel, certainly knows how to execute and present a beautiful, mouth-watering lunch. The Old Courthouse caters for parties and hosts Murder Mystery Nights as well as conducted tours of the old gaol. If you are in Lifford which nestles on the Donegal/Tyrone border, a tour of the Lifford Gaol and lunch in the Old Courthouse would certainly make your trip to this border town a memorable one.

Date of experience: January 2017
1  Thank collettebonnar
LiffordOldCourthouse, Public Relations Manager at Lifford Old Courthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Hi Collette, thank you for the lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us and I've passed on your lovely comments to Danielle, Davina & Carmel and they are delighted.

We do pride ourself on our friendly staff and quality food so it's great to read this review.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2017

A nice tour for all ages. Relatively inexpensive. Those with a real interest in history are in for a treat.

Date of experience: July 2016

Hi Amy, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad you enjoyed your tour with us last year. We do aim for our tours to be fun for all ages so it's great to hear the positive feedback.

Thanks again for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

My partner and I had a meal here recently in conjunction with a local employer , this was by far the worst run night I have witnessed , and I'll break it down for everyone
1- coming through the door , no greeting or direction from manager or waitress
2- when told to sit anywhere and then wait 10/25 minutes before a waitress comes to take a food order (not good enough)
3- the poorly stalked bar was hidden in the front reception , at least 5 people waiting to get served drink with 4 people working behind the counter - this to me made no sense ,
4- a 1 hour wait on the food , which wasn't the warmest food I've ever eaten , satisfactory quality of food , nothing I couldn't have made myself ,

All in all, a poorly ran night , I would not blame the waitresses or waiters. Clearly a lack of direction from leadership in this poorly ran area , will not back,

Ps- if the Lifford Courthouse management would like to discuss any aspect of this with me please drop me a message , thanks

Date of experience: October 2016