“Convenient to Dublin”
Review of Aghadoe House B&B

Aghadoe House B&B
Ranked #59 of 148 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

The rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. There are several good pubs nearby. We found finding the parking in the rear challenging. If you're driving toward the botanic gardens, pass number 77 on your right, take a turn onto the next side lane and an immediate right into a very narrow alley and then back into their small parking area. Regardless of what the owner implied, we are not dumb (one of us has a PhD in Chemistry), but we were new to the city. Our host did go beyond hospitality, by forwarding a forgotten item to another b and b. Many, many thanks for your kindness.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Carol F

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights on our last stop in Ireland. We thought we’d had some questionable experiences at previous bed and breakfasts, but we were wrong. When we arrived early in the day there was a note on the door that they had stepped out and sorry for the inconvenience. Since we’d been told not to leave valuables in the car we were a bit nervous. When we arrived back at 7pm another note was on the door that they were not there and to call. We didn’t have a phone, but luckily the next door neighbor was coming out and showed us where the spare key was to get in. We didn’t see the owner for 2 days and as we were leaving the cook told us they were in Austria! They had 3 different neighbors trying to cover everything. On the day we arrived there were 5 groups showing up and none of them were greeted! We all had to figure out a way in. Room # 6 is downstairs, through the kitchen and laundry so the last guest couldn’t even find her room. Luckily she did have an international phone and apparently it was the neighbor’s because she came over to show the lady her room. The water heater is only on starting after 7am, so if you need to get up before that to make it to the airport or something, plan on taking your shower when they have the water heater on. (Again, something that would be nice to know.) It was very cold in the B&B, but again, the radiator is on a timer. The double room we had is good for one person perhaps. 2 people couldn’t squeeze by the bed so one person would have to go to the door while the other person walked around. The sheets were clean, but everything else looked very dingy. Holes in the carpet, dirty looking chairs, etc. They didn’t even change out the towels we’d thrown on the floor. They just hung them up over the radiator. I’d say I was being picky, but for 5 groups to be sitting in the dining room on their first night there, trying to call the host and getting nowhere, I think my experience was about the same as everyone else’s. I do have pictures that I'll add tomorrow.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank KMB8178
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Arriving on the ferry from Holyhead, this was our first B&B in Ireland. From the beginning Eugene and Margaret made us feel very welcome. The property is very well kept and the bedrooms while small was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was cooked to order and was a perfect start to the day. Eugene was a most grateful host and even mended my reading glasses for me which was a great help. Bus stop to the city is close by as are some good pubs and restaurants. Carparking is limited but is to be expected in this area of Dublin. The National Botanic gardens are very close and are not to be missed. We enjoyed this B&B so much that we stayed again on our way back to Wales after 3 weeks driving around Ireland.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank S
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We arrived in Ireland and this was our first B&B. I have to say, I was not sure what to expect. The room was very small, but it was ensuite with a small shower. It is conveniently located by the National Botanical Gardens which are stunning. They are also very close to the bus route to take you downtown. There are a few pubs nearby that are wonderful atmosphere and food. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during our honeymoon in early May using the location as a start & stop point for our travels around Ireland. Eugene and Margaret were the most welcoming hosts that we met by far. They helped advise us on our travel plans/routes without request, provided taxi calls for travelers to the airport and ensured that all of their guests were comfortable with their stay. We honestly felt as if we were staying with family. The breakfast was outstanding, parking was always available yet we were moments from downtown Dublin. Rooms were well kept, clean and comfortable. We would highly recommend this B&B for any travelers passing through Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WTT1982
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights while I was on a training course in Dublin and honestly couldn't fault my stay. My room was lovely, very clean, bed was comfy and shower was good and powerful. Although my room looked out onto the main road there was no noise at all. Margaret and Eugene were very welcoming, and the breakfasts were the perfect start to the day. Aghadoe House is in a great location, Glasnevin and Botanic Gardens are just down the road, and it's only 25 min walk into the city centre. Really enjoyed my stay, and I felt right at home here.

Room Tip: I was at the front and it didn't bother me at all, even though it's a busy main road I never...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank E-K-Dolan
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed at Aghadoe House for 4 nights, our break was a family trip so we booked two rooms, one twin and one double. The rooms are good for a 3 star B&B.

We had room 1 (twin) and room 3 (double). Both rooms had all the facilities you require and an en-suite. In room 3 the shower in the en-suite had good pressue and you could control the temperature with ease. The only thing which let this room down was the television, this sits on top of the wardrobe and is pretty small, the size isnt really an issue but the signal from the ariel isnt very good. However room 1 had a lovely flat screen TV on the wall that worked great so maybe its just a case of getting the money for it! The bed in the room was very comfortable, we had fresh towels and our bed made every day. The room was nice and warm and we could open the window if we got too hot.

Eugene is an absolute pleasure what a lovely lovely guy. When we arrived he sat us down for tea or coffee and gave us a few biscuits which was much needed after a long drive and ferry trip. He then got a map out and showed us all the places of interest, he reccomended some and then said to get the green hop on hop off bus tour. He said to sit on the bus and do the whole route before deciding what to do. I would strongly reccomend anyone else also does this, it helps you get your bearings of the city and makes it easier to decide what order to do things.

In the evening he left a form out for us to say what we wanted for breakfast, in the morning you have breakfast at 8-9 mon-fri and 8.30-9.30 sat-sun. Our table would be waiting and once we sat down Eugune would get tea, coffee and orange juice for you followed by toast and whatever we ordered the night before. Breakfast is lovely and sets you up for the day. I would reccommend the full irish!

BIG TIP: The green hop on and off buses charge 16-18 euros for a two day ticket. DONT GET THIS. Go to the main bus office on O'Connell street under the spire and buy the 3 day Dublin freedom pass. Not only does this give you 3 DAYS on the hop on hop off, it gives you unlimtied bus travel all around Dublin, therefore making it easier to get to and from the B&B. There is a bus stop right outside the B&B so easy to get to town in about 7 minutes. Also the buses in Dublin require EXACT CHANGE, we didnt know this when we first arrived and didnt have it. The bus driver was nice enough to let us on for free but try to avoid this by getting the 3 day ticket.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and Eugene made it a pleasure for us. We didnt get to meet Margaret as she was on holiday but we would like to say he did you very proud and we enjoyed our stay throughly!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family