“Reminiscent of a hostel rather than a guesthouse.”
Review of Abbeyleigh House

Abbeyleigh House
Ranked #99 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My experience at Abbeyleigh is perhaps best characterised in my advice to others- stay clear. While other's experience of this guesthouse may have been favourable, mine most certainly was not and was decidedly at odds with the opinion of others that have reviewed. In particular, the beds are incredibly uncomfortable, the breakfast average and the service brisk and the property reminiscent of a sad Georgian terrace suffering from considerable underinvestment- Ordinarily not an issue, but when one trades on the architectural characteristics of the property as a means of demonstrating a unique selling point, one would have thought the basics such as cleanliness, noise reduction, quality furnishings and service would be given equal attention. Sadly, this is not the case.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ny_189
abbeyleighdublin, Owner at Abbeyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Firstly we are not a Guesthouse we are a Bed and Breakfast. We at Abbeyleigh house find it extremely insulting you compare us with a hostel as the two could never be compared. Also at Abbeyleigh house we are graded and inspected every year by the tourist board and we exceed all their standards. Secondly we at Abbeyleigh house do not trade on the architectural characteristics of the property as a means of demonstrating a unique selling point, we merely state that Abbeyleigh house is a Georgian property and the property does have the original features and that is a fact. Abbeyleigh house is also registered as a listed one protected structure by Dublin city Council. Regarding your comments on the property being underinvested the property has been heavily invested in this year with new carpets throughout the property, new tiles and painted throughout. Also the original Georgian windows have been restored this year. We Abbeyleigh our surprised you say Breakfast is average it is far from average it goes full Irish breakfast to smoked salmon, we also have a breakfast table with 6 different cereals and fresh fruit, yogurts, prunes apricots. Our comments in are comments book proves that breakfast is far from average. As for the beds being uncomfortable not all beds with cater for all taste. All our rooms are cleaned with fresh towels put in daily. Regarding noise Abbeyleigh House is a protected structure and we are unable to Double glaze windows and this is beyond our control. However noise is very minimal and if you did have a problem with noise you should have brought this to our attention and we would have moved you to a back room where there is no noise. The furnishings in the property are all of good quality that we our very happy with. We have never had a complaint about our furnishings. Unfortunately we cannot cater for all taste regarding furnishings. Regarding your comment about the service, the owner and her family spend time talking to all Guest when they check in, at breakfast and throughout their stay. Here at Abbeyleigh house we are available at all times and are always willing to talk to Guest whether it be a query or just chat. I find it odd that you never mentioned you were this unhappy throughout your stay. It is unfortunate that you felt the need to wright this on the internet and didn’t come to us personally and explain you were unhappy with everything at the time and we would have done are best to make your stay more enjoyable. I would be grateful if you could contact me personally to discuss this matter.
Anna Barden

Reviewed 4 August 2010

The B&B is located in Upper Leeson Street, not far from St Stephens Green (walking) and is a short bus ride into O'Connell Street, with the bus stop into town directly outside. While the location is good is it on what must be on of the busiest two lane (one way) streets and the traffic never seems to abate. The house does not have double glazing so if you are located with windows road facing expect alot of noise and disturbed sleep.

The house is Georgian but unfortunately is quite run down and cleanliness is questionable (both inside and outside). While the house may be cleaned, there is clutter and dust all around and when we arrived there was still rubbish in the bin in the room from the previous occupant. Very small bathroom, nothing in shower to put soaps etc on. TV from neighbours room attached to adjoining wall and with thin walls everything on the TV next door could be heard.

Nice hosts, nice breakfasts. I have rated this a 2 for value as have stayed in other parts of Ireland for the same 45 euro a night and the standard has been much better.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank FootlooseFancyFree64
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I needed a last minute place to stay to watch Ireland beat Scotland in a Rugby international. I was wrong - Scotland won. I had a great chat with both owners of Abbeyleigh house (Anna and her husband) over a fantastic Irish cooked fresh (not buffet)breakfast the morning after. Excelent location. Small, yet adequate room- large bed, toilet/bathroom, Small TV, kettle. Very cheap, by Dublin standards, at Euro 50 for the night with breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I had good expectations for this guesthouse-I know Dublin very well and I have always liked the Georgian architecture in the Leeson Street area. As I was travelling on a budget I thought I would forego my usual stay in a hotel and opt for a guesthouse-thinking there couldn't be a huge difference between the two as my stay was short. I couldn't have been more wrong!

The welcome at Abbeyleigh is very brisk and to the point- don't expect a big smile and a welcome at the door, a chat while you wait for a key or to be shown to your room-you are treated like a paying guest, not an old friend. Which wouldn't be such a problem, but for the fact it is a guesthouse-you expect the big welcome and the chat and the friendly touch. The entrance hall is long, with a table with some brochures for tours etc in dublin, but that's it. There is no reception area per se. There are stairs up to the rooms, which is fine-you can't expect an elevator in a Georgian house, but I had to carry my own bags-very unproffessional. Also a small dog was around the downstairs when I arrived-hardly hygienic!

The rooms themselves need to be overhauled!!!The bed was uncomfortable to the point the slightest movement in it reminded you of how awful and hard the mattress was..the tea and coffee facilities are actully an old kettle on a shelf which wasn't very clean. The room itself while clean was severely dated- there has been an explosion in Ireland in recent years of budget furnishing shops such as Argos, Ikea and Dunnes Stores- there is simply no excuse for having bed linen that harks back to the 1950s! the curtains are worse-hanging off the rails and being difficult to pull across. The bathroom was tiny- it had been cleaned but the toiletries had not-it was disgusting to think someone else's soaps/lotions etc had been left there for me to use. The hot water took an age to come out of the tap-and then it was only luke warm.

The heat in the room was also an issue- it was extremely cold, the heat coming from the radiators made little difference. The windows are quite large and single paned- so any heat generated in the room was wasted, it got so bad I had to wear a coat to bed!!!!when I woke the following morning the window was covered in condensation, the damp atmosphere was very unhealthy, again the room was freezing and a dash was made to get dressed just to heat up. The traffic outside was also an issue, it had been loud throughout the night and from first thing it was very noticeable-i was glad I didn't need a lie-in!..Leeson Street is a main route into Dublin city centre so the traffic is constant outside abbeyleigh all day long.

the location is ok-if you know dublin but I'd imagine if you were there as a tourist who wanted to be at the centre of things, abbeyleigh would not be for you. the area is safe but it is at least a twenty minute walk to grafton street (the heart of dublin). It also borders the city's business district and one of the city's wealthiest neighbourhoods- as a result it's dull and boring!my advice would be to opt for a cheap hotel in the city centre-at least it would be warm and you could bring your complaint to someone. As for this guesthouse- if Ireland is experiencing a heatwave and your on a budget then go for it, otherwise stay well away!

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank illo_europe
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I have stayed in Abbeyleigh House on a number of occasions and you couldn't find a better B & B so close to the city centre!! As a Building Surveyor, the house has amazing character and I found that it happens to be on the Dublin City Council's Protected Structures list. My eyes lit up when I walked inside, the ornate details and high ceilings as well as all of the original doors and windows.
Anna, Declan and the family couldn't have been any nicer and more accommodating to me throughout my stay as they live in the house as well.
There is parking at the front of the house for a number of cars as the house is set into the property. The bedrooms I stayed in were very well finished and the beds were as comfortable as my own bed at home!
I would throughly recommend Abbeyleigh House to stay in as I certainly will be staying there again. I don't honestly know how anyone couldn't like this house.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2010

on arrival the door was opened by a guy in his twenties who looked pretty dishelved..he told me one of the girls would deal me and left me standing in the hall. i stayed there...or more to the point i was left there for approx 5minutes!!..i was left standing and feeling quite uncomfortable, it quickly became apparent that this was less of a professional guesthouse and more a family residence...and i felt like i was intruding on their evening.

anna barden, the owner who was meant to be welcoming etc from other posts barely poked her head around the corner of a doorway at the end of the corridor, asked me my name, disappeared, i could hear arguing and she reappeared, while handing me the key said "your in room x up the stairs"...and walked away as she said it. that was it..my welcome in an irish guesthouse. as an irish citizen who is more than aware of the problems facing the irish tourist industry i had little sympathy for their woes if this is the welcome people received.

i went up to the room and even though i wasn't expecting much my initial reaction was to stand there shocked!!! the decor is like something out of the late 70's, early 80's. the bed was ROCK HARD..the floor had more of a bounce!! the bed was next to a huge georgian window and the en-suite was tiny but manageable.

i would like to point out that the room was spotlessly clean and anna cannot be faulted on this, however that is where the positive ends. despite a radiator under the large window i started to feel cold within minutes of being in the room. within a half hour i was frozen...all the heat was going out the thin panes of glass in the windows, the walls to the room had no insulation and it was FREEZING!!!! i got under the covers of the bed to heat up, there was two thin quilts- still frozen. the heat from the radiator at this point was blasting but made no difference.

i was shaking with the cold and decided to get dressed and get into bed- at this point i was wearing underwear and a t-shirt. i put on a fleece top, sweat pants and got back into bed...still cold!!! put on two pairs of socks...still cold...put on my scarf and an extra blanket that was provided on the bed..barely warm. so to get warm i had to wear a scarf and fleece, sweatpants and two pairs of socks!!..i was miserable and i'm quite a resilient person, it's dank, cold and depressing.

to add insult to injury i'm a non-smoker and while the room itself didn't smell of smoke the public areas were permeated by smoke from the bardens down the stairs which permeated the entire house to the point it was clearly noticeable in the room, it would have been more of an issue for me if i wasn't sleeping in a freezer box. i would have been better off sleeping outside, there was no difference!!!!

there was NO HOT WATER at 9.15pm and the HEATING WAS TURNED OFF..it must be on a timer, the bardens were actually quite loud and could be heard in my room from downstairs. and to be perfectly honest, it didn't feel safe- more than once during my time in the room i was at the inside of the door listening outside to hear what was going on,at twelve am there was a loud radio or tv being played downstairs which was a current affairs programme not music and it was still a nusiance!!!!i woke the following morning angry- i was booked in for an extended stay, i got up and decided i couldnt put up with this and went downstairs expecting to find someone to take up my issue with.

this was 8am, there was no one up, no breakfast being made- i paid for a room only but expected some welcoming activity if nothing else. there is no reception area in abbeyleigh, making it very uncomfortable attempting to get anybody's attention. the house was dead when i awoke so i just left with my suff.

i rang throughout the morning to take up my issue with someone-there was no response until ten am, when i got through to anna and explained i wouldn't be staying for my full stay she was rude, slightly aggressive and irritated. she told me i had plenty of opportunity to say it to her the night before as she was there until 12pm..we agreed on how to settle it and after the call it dawned on me.

the only assumption to make on the basis of her comment is that she wasn't there at 8am that morning is because she must be living somewhere else nearby and divides her time..in effect i was left sleeping in a house with strangers or possibly on my own as i'm uncertain if there were even other guests...unacceptable!!anything could have happened!!i booked into the burlington- a palace in comparison!

abbeyleigh is cheap...but you get what you pay for. if you have any standards and respect for yourself as a human being, do not stay here...my dog is better looked after than the welcome and acommodation i received at abbeyleigh. it's a kip, not fit for its purpose and should be closed down.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kevinos1
Reviewed 10 October 2009

From Dublin Airport, we took the Air Coach which dropped us off just steps away from Abbeyleigh House. The Air Coach staff were very helpful and made this an easy trip.

Located 15 minutes from the City Centre, this 200 year old house has six comfortable modern en suite bedrooms and a pleasant, bright dining room. Our room was clean,and had a double bed and a single as well as a dressing table. It was well appointed, with a TV and coffee maker. As is frequently the case in Europe, the room was snug by North American standards.

We walked to St. Stephen's Green, the National Museum of Ireland, the National Library, Leinster House which is the home of the Irish Parliament (the Dail), as well as the National Gallery of Ireland. Note that admission is free to all these attractions. A wide range of restaurants can be found close to the house.

Anna and Declan were attentive and provided a tasty breakfast which included fruit, a selection of cereals, yogurt and , of course, the traditional Irish breakfast.

We really enjoyed our stay at Abbeyleigh House!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple