“Wonderful guesthouse, great location.”
Review of Abbeyleigh House

Abbeyleigh House
Ranked #104 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
San Diego
“Wonderful guesthouse, great location.”
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Just got back from 2 nights in Room 4. I would definitely stay again. The Abbeyleigh is located just steps from the Aircoach stop which is incredibly convenient. The triple room was spacious and bright. The neighborhood is nice and quiet, yet it's only a 15 minute walk to St. Stephen's Green, and maybe a 25 minute walk to Temple Bar and all other sites. It's great. Never used a cab or bus and spent all of my time on foot, saw all sites easily. The staff are courteous and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful. The price very good. Great for solo travelers.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I was a little apprehension about booking a room here because I really wasn't able to find any reviews online (and the photos on their website didn't really sell the place). However, I found one review on Trip Advisor that persuaded me to go ahead and book. Also, it was very good deal, 150euros for two nights. We had a little trouble finding the guesthouse but once there, we were not let down. They had the room ready, even though we arrived before 10am. The room was on the top floor which wasn't a problem as we didn't have a lot of luggage. It was absolutely lovely and nicely decorated. We had nice views out onto the street and felt completely at home. The bed was comfortable with crisp, clean sheets. The en-suite bathroom was clean and satisfactory. The shower was great, really powerful and plenty of hot water!

We had breakfast on the morning that we left and the owner made sure that we had everything we wanted, even though we were in a bit of a rush. It was also included in the price of the room.

It isn't a 5* hotel so don't expect a plush or trendy room with modern features. Abbeyleigh is comfortable, clean, quiet and friendly. It is a 15 minute walk to the city centre in a very nice, safe area. It is also on the bus routes to the city centre and the airport. It was perfect for me and my boyfriend on a romantic weekend away. Don't stay here if you want to be on top of all the bars and clubs. We got a taxi home from the Guinness Storehouse and it cost 8 euros which we thought was very reasonable. The taxi driver was so friendly and gave us lots of recommendations of places to go. In fact, everyone is very friendly and helpful!

I recommend visiting Guinness Storehouse (very interesting and the free pint in the Gravity Bar is great), Gallagher's Boxty House (fantastic food, we went there twice!), Jameson Distillery (brilliant tour guide and make sure you put your hand up quick enough for the tasting!), Porterhouse Temple Bar (great atmosphere and live bands).

Dublin is very expensive but there's not a lot you can do about that!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 25 June 2008

While looking for a Dublin Hotel, I searched for weeks over the Internet and finally stumbled upon The Abbeyleigh B&B. A few red flags popped up, not many photos on their website, a less than stellar comment on the Tripadvisor forum (it hadn’t actually been reviewed), and the owner did not answer when I asked for the closest side street.

The price was within my budget, so I kept the reservation. The website showed an arrow pointing toward the very edge of the map so I assumed it was further south in Dublin 4 than would be convenient, but at 110 euros per night including a Full Irish breakfast it was going to be my home for 6 nights, like it or not.

I liked it! It was only half a block south of the canal on Upper Leeson, a lovely tree lined street with the building set back from the road, allowing off street parking for guests. The bus stop was literally outside the door, but it was easy to walk into town from this location, and the airport bus was a short block away. The immediate neighborhood had several restaurants, a pub and dry cleaners, all very convenient. The B&B has been in business for 12 years and some things show signs of wear, but Anna Barden, the owner, is working on that with continuous upgrades including a recently tiled entry hall and new carpeting throughout.

My stay was broken into 3 separate visits and the first room had a bed so hard, I groaned when I sat on it expecting a sore back in the morning. I slept like a baby and woke up refreshed. Some bathroom towels were Egyptian cotton, and there were toiletries, a hairdryer, and even tissues, nothing I would normally expect from a modest B&B. Matching furniture is something else I wouldn’t expect from a B&B, but each of the 3 rooms I occupied had matching wardrobe, desk/dressing table and night stands.

Another thoughtful touch, Anna provided a scaled down breakfast (no hot food) in the wee hours of the morning before we left for an early flight home. In all my years of travel, no one has ever done that or even offered to do that for me. The daily breakfast was generous with fruit, cereals, yogurt, juices, coffee or tea and a the traditional hot breakfast, but the best part of our stay was being treated so well by the Bardens and supporting an Irish family instead of a multi-national corporation.

We didn’t have proper change for the bus and Declan (Mr. Barden) loaned us the money, a kindness we certainly hadn’t anticipated. Even though we were there 3 times during the course of our trip, we didn’t actually pay until our very last day. It was such an exceptional experience to be treated like friends instead of an income stream. When all the hotels in town raise rates for weekends and special events, this B&B has a consistant rate and doesn't take advantage of the guests. Bravo!

• Liked — I liked the price for a city center location and the friendliness of the owners and their family
  • Disliked — Some rooms need updating, but for the price in Dublin, it's easy enough to live without.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple