“Great for a takeaway”

Ranked #157 of 2,721 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$20 - US$48
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Vermilion is an award winning Indian fine dining restaurant in Terenure Village. Open since 2001 it has proved a firm favourite with locals and visitors alike. Vermilion was recently voted Readers Choice Best Restaurant in Dublin in the Food & Wine Restaurant of the Year Awards 2015 and was shortlisted in the Best Manager and Best 'Kids Size Me' categories in the RAI Restaurant of the Year Awards 2015
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I,m sure it's okay to sit in and dine but they have great take specials here

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great atmosphere on the night of our visit . Good taste of India. Food and service consistently good in this restaurant. Was tempted to upgrade to Very Good

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Go to this restaurant 2/3 times a year. Was here a few months ago on a discount meal offer and was very impressed at the flexibility shown. Ate here again last Saturday and as ever had a really good meal. Main course of a lamb dish that was as good as all previous visits. Starters and side dishes of a similar quality. Portions are quite big and the sauces heavy so I recommend you share a starter with your partner and you wont want a desert.
Reasonable wine list as well.
Not cheap but definitely worth a regular visit for a good Indian meal. Recommended.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We found ourselves without the kids on a Saturday night and headed into Terenure for a meal. Yay!

This was our first visit to Vermilion and we came away with a fantastic impression. It's a lovely place. Nicely decorated, clean, etc.

The food was delicious - full of flavor and very fresh. I did find the 2 pepper (heat/spice) rating to be in line with how other Indian restaurants in Dublin rate the spice of their dishes, I like a more intense spice so next time I will order my 2 pepper rated vegetarian dish spicier. My husbands chicken dish was also delicious as were our starters.

Service was very friendly and warm, but it was too slow even on a night with no kids in tow. In all fairness it was because they were SO busy, not because of lazy waitstaff. The place was only about 1/3 full when we arrived just past 7pm, but it was filled to capacity with folks waiting for tables by the time we left at 9pm. They really needed another server this night, and as a result we sort of fell through the cracks between starter and main course, and our second round of drinks had to be asked for twice. Still, the staff were pleasant enough and working hard enough that this wasn't a deal breaker for us, but I do want to mention it.

Reviewed 1 December 2011

On the main street of Terenure and located upstairs over a bar. Decent enough entrance and a small waiting area just inside the door. We had booked for 21.30 and even though there were plenty of empty tables our table was finally ready at 21.45. Vermillion is not a bad looking restaurant. Service throughout was OK-good

Starters were good. The spicy beef with a mini nan bread was tender and tatsy. My mixed platter was a mixed bag. Ordinary average chicken, OK samosa and a not so good Talipa fish. Far too soft and not good at all.

Mains were not good. I have been all around Kerla and loved this area of India and their cuisine, dominated with wonderful spices and coconut milk dishes. This Kerala chicken was absolutely tasteless and lacked any real flavours of ginger/spice/curry leaves. My GF's lamb was poor. A far too thick, heavy sauce that she struggled to eat even half of and again no true flavour. Were these cooked totally from fresh? Excellent garlic nan bread.

We left with a sense of what was that all about and feeling bloated. We both like fresh, authentic ethnic cooking bursting with exotic flavours. Vermillion did not deliver. If you serve ethnic cuisine, and this is why we go to an ethnic restaurant, then please keep it authentic and as you would in India/Thailand, calming the chillis...if requested.

I am sorry to say we will not be back.

1  Thank Harleyclarkey