“Perfect for what we needed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lombard Townhouse

The Lombard Townhouse
Ranked #39 of 161 Dublin B&B and Inns
Limerick, Ireland
“Perfect for what we needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is a Townhouse and doesn't claim to be anything else, you check in at the bar. The Manager was super friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and functional - shower amazing, we were lucky and got back room which was quiet. We ate dinner at the bar which I could not fault. We weren't bothered Sunday morning to rush out of room which was great. Would use again, as Price for our weekend was cheaper than most for the weekend with concerts going on.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at the back. Room one twin was very quiet, and sunny.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We arrived about 2 hours before check in and were told to wait, so my husband went off to find a laundry and my son and I hung out in the pub. After about an hour and a half, the manager, or who I assumed to be the manager, came over, asked if we were waiting to check in and informed us he could have already given us a room. Then I gave him my name and he was unable to find our registration. I pulled out our confirmatoin e-mail, he left to check on things and I was told another e-mail had been sent seconds after the first to tell us our reservation had not been accepted. My husband insists he never got it. In any case, I have to give the manager credit for making the effort to get us a room and one we could stay in all nights we were there. Throughout our stay, he seemed quite harried though and as if things were just out of his control. He needs to project an image of calm despite the storm, but that's just my opinion as I have a background in service management. The other employees, to their credit, seemed perfectly capable of handling everything, were very friendly and the food and drink service in the pub was always good. The food is typical and was just fine. The room itself was clean and well appointed (but wish the wi-fi worked in the rooms, not just the pub) and the beds comfortable. The only ding on the room was the shower. The grout could use some serious bleaching as there was quite a lot of visible mold accompanied by the smell it generates. The location is pretty decent and it was not a bad walk to city centre and Trinity College. It is just across the street from a train station, two stops from Aviva Stadium which proved handy for us as we got last minutes tickets to a game. All in all, if you are on a budget in Dublin, this isn't a bad choice, just double check to make sure you've got your reservation in order and don't expect a five-star shower. Oh, one other note, if you're prudish, we had a 'family' room and my 11-year old was quite tickled by the art work depicting a naked woman reclining. I did not find it offensive, but some might.

Room Tip: The rooms are right above the pub and they had a DJ one night of our stay. We could hear it (not too...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sseaton68
LombardManagement, Manager at The Lombard Townhouse, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Many thanks for you honest review, i am delighted you found our location close to all amenities for your stay, i recall your mixed feelings upon arrival and would gladly accommodate you again. I did have a copy of our e mail informing you of the cancellation as i showed you, your reservation was made for a 2 person room not a 3 person family room , adding a small note to inform any property that you will have a third person in your room is not reserving a triple room unfortunately. This is the reason why your reservation was cancelled upon booking. you may find accommodating any guest last minute in a capitol city for most weekends takes a lot of work and effort, and the success rate is very low, my swamped approach was in the interest of ensuring you had accommodation for the weekend. I was lucky enough to be able to accommodate you myself instead of having to seek alternative for your family. This also saved you any additional expense. I am glad though that our efforts here where noted, many thanks again for your review.
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

After reading other reviews of this place, I was expecting a basic but clean room and personable staff. Well, we must've arrived on Opposite Day because our stay was simply awful.

On arrival, we entered the pub to check in. We were early and were told abruptly by the man on duty that check in wasn't until 2 o clock. We then asked if we could leave our bags and all we were told was "yes" and our "host" then left to serve bar customers without another word. When he eventually deigned to return to us we asked if we could leave our bags now and were just told "come this way" and our bags were put into a room next to the public toilets. I would not recommend having anything valuable in your luggage if you're planning to store your bags here.

On our return the same man was on duty behind the bar. He saw us come in and blatantly ignored us until we practically waved our hands in his face. After putting him to the considerable trouble of leading us to the room to get our bags, we were brought into the building next door. All we were told was: "Your room is upstairs, leave your key in the letter box when you're checking out". Without a doubt, this was the WORST "welcome" I have ever received.

And all this before we experienced the delights of the room! Now, I have no problem staying somewhere basic, as long as it's clean. I've never experienced a room like this before. The duvet covers were ripped and stained in patches, the walls were dirty, and as for the bathroom..the shower tray was black with the dirt, there was dust everywhere and the toilet brush was just repulsive, with remnants of previous guests "emissions" embeddded in it. Thank God for dry shampoo as there was NO way I was doing more than washing my hands and brushing my teeth in that bathroom.

Our room was just above the smoking area for the pub and the noise was out of this world. There was no phone in the room and I'm pretty sure that if we had had a problem after the pub had closed, we would've just had to fend for ourselves.

The one redeeming feature was that the bed was surprisingly comfortable! Without a doubt this was the worst place I've ever stayed in. The only reason we stayed was that we had payed the full price in advance. All I can say is STAY AWAY from this place - truly awful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank jenny-penny08
thelombard, Manager at The Lombard Townhouse, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Many thanks for your honest review, all reviews are greatly appreciated. We have had a good look at the issues you have raised and have made significant changes to our check in policy and our housekeeping training, the issues you experienced will not happen again for future guests. Our linen company has been notified in relation to the quality of linen they have provided and we have taken action in relation to scruf marks on our walls, once again i wish to thank you for highlighting these issues, honest reviews can benefit everyone from accommodation properties themselves to future guests having better and more positive experiences. As you are aware we can provide a higher standard of service and accommodation , i am looking forward to providing a different experience on your return trip.
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

clean, properly priced, owner was helpful, informative and available when needed. there is NOTHING like actually feeling welcome at someones home. not in a bustling part of town or on a tourist street.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

If you are not looking for luxury but want a good, clean place to stay I would recommend here. The rooms are clean and the bed is big.

It is a small townhouse with 8 rooms, connected to the pub which can be a surprise if you are expecting to check in hotel style!

The Irish breakfast is delicious and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Doreen G
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Very good sized room and bathroom. Very clean. Poor wifi reception on the top floor. Pretty noisy from street and pedestrian traffic at night, although the pub downstairs was quiet. Staff range from efficient to friendly, helpful and efficient. It's not particularly cheap for what you get but OK value for Dublin. Breakfast is not included in the cost of accommodation and is quite expensive in the pub. The location is pretty good. Away from the madness of Temple Bar but only a short walk from all the action.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the Lombard Street side rather than Pearse Street. It will be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
thelombard, Manager at The Lombard Townhouse, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Many thanks for your review all reviews are very important to us, i am sorry however that you found our breakfasts overpriced, as we do offer breakfasts in the morning from €5.00 up to a maximum of €10.00 on our breakfast menu.Which would be fairly standard for a townhouse of our size. We are delighted you liked our rooms, decor and location. unfortunately in every major city center, traffic and noise will occur with high volumes of traffic . I hope you would consider us again in the future.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

We had a great overnight stay. Rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable with a very modern bath. The staff was very friendly and helpful especially Martin the manager and assistant Gabrielle. The location is close to Trinity College and walking distance to all of the hot spots including Temple Bar. The food was excellent and very reasonable. I would definitely stay here the next time we visit.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business