“Great staff/location/shower/food...what's not to like!?”
Review of Abigails Hostel

Abigails Hostel
Ranked #9 of 106 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Westport, Ireland
“Great staff/location/shower/food...what's not to like!?”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here on Saturday 12th July with a group of eight 13 to 16yr olds who were at all times treated with friendliness and respect. The staff really make this place (not that there is anything wrong with it otherwise but they were just great) They were at all times friendly, knowledgable and helpful on every subject we threw at them (including where to find skate parks so not just your normal touristy stuff).
The room was lovely and clean with comfortable beds and an en suite, fantastic, hot, powerful shower (my daughter wanted to take it home with us).
The breakfast is also great for a hostel. Eggs, toast and jam, tea, coffee and juice, yoghurt and tinned fruit in unlimited quantities...just help yourself.
Unbeatable value for central Dublin. I would heartily recommend it to anyone and will be back again for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a total of 1.5 weeks while i was in Ireland. Great place to stay right in Temple Bar and close to the shops and great pubs. It was clean, friendly, and breakfast was good. I only had a problem with noise once, and it was a club playing Backstreet Boys (which was actually fine). I've already recommended it to fellow travellers along the way and when I go back to Dublin this is where I'll be staying.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Galway
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I just stayed 2 nights in Abigails, really happy with it. I was in an all female dorm. It is a great location, literally 2 mins walk from O'Connell Street and 5 mins from Temple Bar. Breakfast was fine and staff were friendly. for €20 a night, you cannot go wrong.
My only complaint and its not really a complaint, more of a suggestion really; the Pass that you are given is literally like a paper thin receipt, and it would be easy enough to lose it/ throw it away by accident. Maybe a cardboard pass could be designed, or if the Pass was stapled onto a card or something, it would be easier to store it in a purse etc. I kept having to double check that i still had it during the day, as with sightseeing etc it would be easy to lose it or throw it away by accident with admission slips, map etc. !

Room Tip: This Hostel is located on the Quays, so there is constant traffic and noise from passers by etc, If...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Didn't have the best experience at Abigails but I think it's because it was my first time ever staying in a hostel. The main issues were my roommates and the noise out in the hallways.

Pros: Abigails is right in the Temple Bar area which is really convenient. There are several bus stops right outside the front door as well which is nice if you don't want to walk to the Guinness factory, Jameson distillery, the Kilmainham Gaol, etc. Decent breakfast and relatively clean. Different sized lockers in the main lobby to store laptops, jewelry, cameras, passports, etc and the fees aren't too bad.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is a hostel, and keeping that in mind, Abigail's is an excellent place to stay while in Dublin. Apart from the first floor being close to a major bus stop, the hostel is quiet and clean. En suite bathrooms are available even in large dormitories, which is really convenient. Our large 10 bed dorm had 2 showers and 2 toilets in addition to the sink and mirror outside the bathrooms. Breakfast was a selection of cereal, toast and jams, yoghurt, canned fruits, and juice/coffee/tea, which we thought was an excellent assortment of breakfast items for such a reasonably priced stay. It is easy to walk to all points of the city from the hostel and it's just 5 minutes from Trinity college, and right on the Temple bar. We would probably stay here again if we returned to Dublin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tampa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here June 4-6 2014. As we were traveling four countries and five cities I wanted her to have all forms of travel experiences hence I chose a hostel. Abigails has the best reviews and ratings from my research. Having never stayed at a hostel i wasn't sure what to expect.
The entrance is easy to miss and be prepared to ring a bell and possibly wait..and wait. The delay only occurred twice but was still annoying. We arrived around noon and since our room wasn't ready until 2pm we were offered the free luggage room for our bags. I was a little leery of this but i put zip ties on my suitcase and didn't have anything of value inside anyway. We went for lunch and when we returned our room was available. Its size was as expected, not too bad. A double bed and a twin. only one of the two lamps worked. I had not realized there was no tv, a/c or even a fan. Thankfully it was chilly so we were able to leave the window open. We did hear a lot of action from the street in back though.
The highlight of Abigails has to be the staff. Its like talking to a friend. They were very helpful. The money I saved allowed us to enjoy the Wild Wicklow Tour. The grocery store next door was great for snacks. (remember your own bag)
Overall, this was an okay stay. Nothing awesome but nothing horrendous either. If you remember its a hostel,with in-room bathroom,clean and centrally located you will be fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shauna P
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I loved staying at Abigail's Hostel in Dublin. Out of all the hostel's I stayed in in Europe this one was the best! The hostel is located right on the Liffey River on Aston Quay. It is a block from O'Connell St and right near Temple Bar. You don't need a bus pass if you stay here everything is so conveniently located.

Abigail's staff is top notch. They were very friendly and helpful. I arrived hours before my friends and they gave me directions and ideas of places to eat, where to go, and things to see. I stayed in the 12 mixed room which was extremely spacious with 2 bathrooms and showers in the room. Also there are plenty of plugs for each bed, free WIFI which amazingly worked great and breakfast is included. Compared to other hostels they had a feast: toast, jams, eggs, yogurt, cereals, coffee, tea, and juice. Also, the kitchen is open and they have sinks and microwaves for use. The common area is large and comfy. I took a nap on those sofas :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends